Hardware What do you guys use for maximum storage on your modded Wii U?

Neath

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I currently have a standard Lexar 32GB stick, but Zelda BoTW uses up 20gb's of that. My plan is to get Haxchi installed (currently using HBC>Mocha) and load up all killer titles on the HDD. Any good recommendations on USB/HDD storage devices that people use with their Wii U, maybe under $100?

I tried my ExHDD but the Wii U doesn't power it enough. Too bad because its 240GBs.

bennyman123abc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I currently have a standard Lexar 32GB stick, but Zelda BoTW uses up 20gb's of that. My plan is to get Haxchi installed (currently using HBC>Mocha) and load up all killer titles on the HDD. Any good recommendations on USB/HDD storage devices that people use with their Wii U, maybe under $100?

I tried my ExHDD but the Wii U doesn't power it enough. Too bad because its 240GBs.
Maybe Kingston's 2 TB flash drive as that's the max a Wii U can use? It's about $1600 USD however...

kolosus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go with 1 tb usb hdd. I did the flash drive for a bit but it quickly runs out of room. Unless you have a set of games that you know you'll use and wont want to try others. I would like to have a few games on there that I want to try from time to time without going through all the deleting and reinstalling and all that. 1 tb is gobs of space. 2 tb is overkill. It'll fit all the games but honestly some games aren't even worth it like that.

I'm currently using a 128 gb flash drive and have a usb adapter thing with two ports coming in the mail. Once it arrives I'll get a 1 tb external hdd. Might even go 500 gb by using one of my spare drives. Keep the 1 tb for other things. But the 1 tb price tier is the sweet spot at the moment I feel.

crafty84

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
256gb flash drive, but once I stop being lazy it will be moved to a 512gb hdd via a docking bay (gotta have that external power supply!).

Shikkichu

A little Pika girl~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use an enclosed 3.5" 1TB, I don't even have 200gb filled, wasted money because most of the games are garbage anyway, unless you count VC, which honestly seem pointless since I have over system with the same games

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have a 750GB drive i bought for $10 on CL and i can't imagine i would ever be able to fill it
like poster above said VC games but i was surprised to find out how crap DS VC is are they serious with this ? i wish there was a way to mod these so that the TV is the top screen and the gamepad is the bottom screen for DS VC, the secrens are the size of a postage stamp

i am more concerned on how much space i should have for my Sd card i have 128 GB but now that i do not use loadiine i a curious how munch i really need , i plan on modding the vwii for GC games
i was really hoping that there would be a solution for having wii u and vwii on one drive by now i read like almost 2 months back int he middle of another thread that someone had it figured out but nothing has materialized yet

even with retroarc emulators i feel like i may have to go to smaller drive

johnestan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a refurbished 2tb WD My Book for ebay for $65. I wanted an externally powered 2tb drive (the largest the wii u supports), but seagate and WD only make 3tb now. I didn't want to bother with an enclosure. Might be overkill, but now I will never have to worry about space.

Smash Br0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder how much space every Wii U game would take up. And how much only the "good" Wii U games would require. Would it even be one terabyte?

Reactions: weatMod

olimar718

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Did you try using a USB "Y"-Cable? That should let the device draw power from both ports. Much cheaper than a new hard drive.
Yes, I recommend to do as subtle demise say. It work very well with y cable on ext hdd that are not powered directly be the wii u and it will be enough space for most of the interesting games. But not enough for all of them sadly, i think you need 500gb for that

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Planning to use a 500 gb spare drive and a SATA enclosure. (Need to pick up two extra usb cables although - the enclosure comes with a "y" cable already, but needs the extension of the usb cables.) Will look pretty ugly for a system to have a bunch of cables sticking out of it...)

BlackZero500

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I would reccomend a 1 tb external hdd with external Power without Power switch. The ones that would Start automaticaly with the PC or in that case wii u. Should be around 70 bucks. More than one tb is Overkill. I have about 60 games on Mine and use only about 400 GB.

lafleche

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
And don't forget you also have Wiiu nand with more then 20gb to store most of the Mario games.
The ones i will never delete

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
I have an old 120gb SSD connected to a USB to SATA cable. The Wii U can power it from one USB port which is handy as the other port in the back has a USB Ethernet adapter in, then the front two USB ports have the GameCube controller adapter connected.

That just works out nicely meaning i don't need to use another socket for a powered usb hub.

You could get a USB Y cable and power a large 2.5" portable drive though which would be the cheapest solution for the largest amount of storage. I guess it depends how many games you have, 128gb is enough for everything I have on disc with space left over.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs