What did you Accomplish in Gaming Today?

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
You can farm Humanity in Dark Souls from an enemy that you can find fairly early on and isn't at all strong. It isn't especially cheap if you choose to buy it from one of few merchants that carry a limited quantity, but it's good in a pinch if you don't absolutely need it to remove hollow status or to kindle a bonfire. As well, the Estus Flask is actually pretty okay. You can easily get 10 uses on it from the get go by kindling bonfires (you find more than enough humanity), and you can upgrade that capacity and the strength of the flask itself throughout the game. Honestly, I get screwed over less by my limited use Estus Flask and more by the length of the drinking animation. Against a quick boss or an enemy just waiting for you to heal, it is just as deadly to try to heal as it is to simply try to survive out the fight on whatever remaining HP you have. In Dark Souls 2, they introduce Life Gems. Not super convenient and a touch spendy early on, but much like Humanity, they work in a pinch, although with gradual restoration rather than up front total healing. Basically, both Dark Souls games have a means by which you can heal outside of use of the flask that aren't obscenely difficult to get.

Other then that, on the note of invasion, you can simply stay in hollow form if you don't want to be invaded. Granted, you need to be in human form for certain benefits sometimes, but otherwise staying hollow doesn't have major repercussions. Even then, you're boned nine times out of ten if you get invaded these days anyways. Most of the invaders you'll come across are cheaters breaching worlds that are far below their level (or at the least far below their total stat range, whether or not their level accurately reflects this is a mystery), basically killing newer characters that have no way to truly defend against such overwhelmingly powerful opponents. Regardless, I've spent a fair bit of time safely idling as a hollow, so it's good to go. In Dark Souls 2, they make it so you can use a Human Effigy at a bonfire in order to prevent invading for awhile. Of course, Dark Souls 2 also punishes you for staying a hollow and dying too much in the form of cutting your total HP available until you revive to human (also using a Human Effigy, but sans bonfire). There are balancing tweaks to make it so the punishment works though, so there's that.

And a small thing: you can't fast travel between bonfires in Dark Souls 1 which is a major pain in the ass, but you learn to deal with it. Well, I guess you can actually get a fast travel item later in the game, but it's long after you get used to running around and utilizing all the shortcuts you've unlocked. In Dark Souls 2, fast traveling between bonfires is just something you can do.

Basically, your knowledge seems to be a mix of Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2, as well as having some holes. I mean, if the magic system is the major deal breaker for you, okay, but do recognize that the vast majority of your other nitpicks have remedies built right into the game.

Also, without spoiling too much, there is some magic in Bloodborne. It's basically the main purpose of the Arcane stat, but you don't really get any magic until fairly late into the game in the form of what I believe are unlimited use items.

Now, on to my achievements:
I've been playing a lot of Dark Souls these past couple of days and I have successfully:
- Killed the Taurus Demon
- Got the Drake Sword
- Beat the Gargoyles and rang the church bell
- Killed the demon thing between the church blacksmith and the forest outside
- Killed the giant butterfly boss (okay, the summoned witch NPC did the bulk of the work)
- Beat the Hydra in the Deep Basin
- Explored and survived the forest beyond the sealed door that required the 20k soul item to progress past, at least to the point of joining the covenant
- Killed Havel at the bottom of the tower in Undead Burg
- Gotten almost to level 30 focusing primarily on strength and defense

My goal for tomorrow is to take down the Capra Demon way at the bottom of Undead Burg, but the fight is just mean so it may take awhile. I don't really have the means to survive in most other places right now though, so I need to be able to reach The Depths, you know, assuming I can survive there.

I liked the lack of fast travel in dark souls. It kept me scared.

I remember during my early levels, having to travel from the blacksmith to the first shopkeeper and absolutely shitting it if I got killed on the way with all my souls intact. Warping systems are too easy to abuse IMO.

Please get a good shield for capra demon fight and i'd recommend exploring that forest a lot more. ;)

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I liked the lack of fast travel in dark souls. It kept me scared.

I remember during my early levels, having to travel from the blacksmith to the first shopkeeper and absolutely shitting it if I got killed on the way with all my souls intact. Warping systems are too easy to abuse IMO.

Please get a good shield for capra demon fight and i'd recommend exploring that forest a lot more. ;)
Psh, I cheaped out on the Capra Demon fight. I just used the fire bomb over the archway trick and killed him without even entering. And I'll definitely be heading back to that forest eventually. When the plant things went from three hits to kill to six simply by going through that doorway, I found myself a little hesitant to keep exploring at my current skill level.

At this point today, I've
- Beaten Capra
- Explored the Depths
- Beat the giant Dragon thing (it was a surprisingly simple fight - the dragon just had some dense defense so it took a few minutes of hacking away at his back legs)
- Explored Blighttown down to the fog door that I fear is a boss since I have yet to find a bonfire since coming into this place

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
Psh, I cheaped out on the Capra Demon fight. I just used the fire bomb over the archway trick and killed him without even entering. And I'll definitely be heading back to that forest eventually. When the plant things went from three hits to kill to six simply by going through that doorway, I found myself a little hesitant to keep exploring at my current skill level.

At this point today, I've
- Beaten Capra
- Explored the Depths
- Beat the giant Dragon thing (it was a surprisingly simple fight - the dragon just had some dense defense so it took a few minutes of hacking away at his back legs)
- Explored Blighttown down to the fog door that I fear is a boss since I have yet to find a bonfire since coming into this place

Did you google/youtube that exploit for capra demon or are you replaying?

I just beat demonic ruins in dark souls and I have to say, it is by far the WORST area in dark souls. You can tell it is REALLY REALLY rushed. It feels almost tacky compared to the rest of the game. From the enemies to the boss fights, everything is so so so so so so so lacking in atmosphere, difficulty, ingenuity... All I have left is the four kings and then I think I'm close to the end unless there is another plot twist.

I'm doing a Dex/Inteligence build and honestly I wish I had gone for a dexterity or strength build instead with faith and pyromancy. I heard magic was meant to get really good and maybe it does but I feel I'm near the end and I'm still going to my weapon before anything else. Velker's Rapier does decent damage and my great scythe with crystal magic weapon can destroy but I can't help but feel I would have gotten a similar to slightly lower damage output WITH way better vitality and endurance to tank hits from bosses with a strength build.

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
Finished dark souls.

Last part of the game was a bit anti climactic but its probably my favourite game of all time despite the obvious rushed ending.

Reactions: Dax_Fame

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I beat Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition (Wii U) a couple days back, and beat the Harley Quinn's Revenge story yesterday. Absolutely fantastic game, and I'm glad PSN started the Batman sale just in time for me to pick up Arkham Origins. ^.^

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
For myself:

I've switched to playing Dark Souls 2 after reaching Anor Londo in Dark Souls and hating just about everything about it except for the general design of the castle itself. I started out with a Barbarian and made it to No Man's Wharf before having too much trouble to deem it worth my time. That was three days ago. Two days ago I made a new character and opted for a magic user as it is a major build I haven't even tried in either Dark Souls or Dark Souls 2. Since then, I've advanced through nearly every area in the game up to Drangleic Castle with the one exception being that I skipped the chariot boss because I can't find a reason to suffer through retrying that boss fight until completing it for the benefit of filling a bonfire travel slot. At this point I've killed the Looking Glass Knight all on my lonesome since I totally forgot to talk to big blue sword dude way back when and went as far as the next bonfire before stopping because eight hours and about six bosses was enough for today.

For my roommate:

The other day he beat Bloodborne for the first time. And I mean beat it, including:
Gehrman and the Moon Presence
which leads to what can be presumed to be the true ending. Otherwise he's made it all of the way to the Vendrick fight in Dark Souls 2 (with enough giants souls to make the fight possible) but has opted to put off playing the game more until picking up the Scholar of the First Sin edition on PS4 on Tuesday.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I beat Transformers: War for Cybertron (360) today, on normal difficulty. It was quite a solid TPS with some cool hooks and vehicle combat/platforming mixed in, and great fanservice moments to crack a smile for any Transformers fan. I recommend it if you're looking for a good Transformers game, but not so much if you're looking for a particularly innovative GotY material type game.

I bought this back before I owned a PS3, otherwise I would've definitely bought it for that, so I could try out multiplayer (I don't have a Gold subscription, as you can probably guess). When I get a chance, I'm going to rebuy this on PS3 (I already passed the 360 copy along to my brother, and borrowed it back for a few days so I could beat it) since I have a couple friends who are interested in co-op.

Dax_Fame

Annoying Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This Saturday I conquered Contra for the NES with no 30 life code for the first time! Got my copy on Thursday and needed to see if it was fully working :lol:

It's a whole lot of fun and has made me want to go back and play the other ones legitimately

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haven't posted in here in a while D:

Recently I beat both Alan Wake (Steam) and Alan Wake American Nightmare (Steam).

I have mixed feelings about Alan Wake. The fighting is boring, the thrill is non-existent and the idea of reading it AND THEN playing it is a boring way to play the game. But if you decide to ignore the pages you keep finding around yes, the game is enjoyable. The graphics are nice and overall it can get pretty close to one of Stephen King's TV mini-series. I'm not sure if I should play the DLCs yet.

American Nightmare is a short, but fun game. I liked it better than Alan Wake. It felt like it had less filler. Loved the story.
In the mean time, I finally beat Dragon Dance (GBC). I have mixed feelings about this game too. It's an Arkanoid clone, but with some new concepts: your ship is a dragon, you can rise the speed of the ball and you don't have any life, but you lose a "piece" every time you lose the ball. I like how it has 100 levels, and the changeable speed. But that's about it. The dragon spins itself up in less than a second of idleness, and there is a VERY strict time limit that makes things almost impossible. And the last boss...ugh. And this was 1998, so it's not really excusable, especially when the ball is faster than the dragon. Bonus points for creativity though!

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rainbowed NES Remix 3DS
Finished Pokemon OR league run nuzleafed but then got stuck in infinite crash loop without 1.2 patch. :-S
Finally finished RidgeRacer3DS (I want to strangle that female announcer so bad)

Ate lots of chocolate before grinding on tutorial/guide a little more...

Oh, and finally got up to #100 in pokegenning. Serebeii needs to change their color scheme. I can smell their puke green decor.

Then all the college kids came back. Easter was sooooo quiet. Loved it.

nasune

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just beat Bloodborne, and it was a fun game. Suprisingly (even though I own all the Souls games) its the first one in the 'series' that I managed to beat. (I got stuck on a game breaking glitch in Demon's Souls (near the end), and have not found the will to do it all over again)

Reactions: T-hug and Dax_Fame

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
CClDVGnW4AAIL95.jpg:large

76hrs 174 deaths 100% satisfaction!

Reactions: nasune

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram plebs lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    they be like which lite firefox exe pls
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Wut.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    GM all
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    butt
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    douche
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Touché.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Push it :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Talk about propaganda.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Psi has been banned in the state of California.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I am the cancer!!! lol
    Yayyy got arcade games on the Pi working lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
    Now to spend 6 months deleting all the garbage lol
    Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want to play and enjoy the old old ganes
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want...