What could the IR camera be used for?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Nerdtendo, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Nerdtendo
    OP

Nerdtendo GBAtemp Regular

Sep 29, 2016
    United States
    *this is post is inspired by the (extremely late) news article about Switch's underused features*

So, the Switch has been out for a little more than 9 months and there is one feature we haven't seen any use out of. That feature is of course the infrared camera at the bottom of the right joycon. Aside from one mini game in the overpriced but misunderstood "1, 2, Switch", EDIT: and reloading in RE (thanks for the tip @duffmmann), it has done absolutely nothing. This raises the question of what it will be used for in the future.* We can rule out wii-like pointing because of its positioning. The fact that "Little Inferno" used point controls without the camera further confirms this. The most plausable theory I've heard is joycon expansions ala the circle pad pro. What potential ways do you think it will be used in upcoming games or additional hardware?

*For purposes of this discussion, we will assume that the camera will be used eventually.

Last edited by Nerdtendo, Dec 12, 2017
  2. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    Resident Evil Revelations 1 and 2 use it for reloading your gun. Just like this (start at about 50 seconds):
    Its pretty neat, completely optional as you can just push the button instead, but it adds an extra level of immersion that I enjoy especially when you use the joy con with motion control for these games for aiming and knifing.

Last edited by duffmmann, Dec 12, 2017
  3. Nerdtendo
    OP

Sep 29, 2016
    United States
    Cool. I'm not into horror games so I never knew that. It's a neat usage. I edited OP to include that

4. brunocar

brunocar GBAtemp Regular

Aug 14, 2017
    Argentina
    i wouldnt call raid mode a horror game :P

5. duffmmann

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    Well I'd definitely like to see the option to reload like RE for any other first or third person shooter (that requires reloading) that comes to the Switch like Wolfenstein or patched into Doom. Its a clever use that works well, while still remaining completely optional.

Also, this is some of the info the patent for the IR blaster contains. While it's all just what could be done with the tech for gaming on the system, I think it may give some hints as to what else we might be able to expect (worth noting is that the patent also intended for the controller/system to also be able to project images, which as we know isn't the case with the Switch):
    I mean basically what we see here is that the intentions for the IR blaster (based on these patents anyways) seems to be to function in a similar (albeit far less sophisticated) fashion as the camera of the Kinect.

6. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    how about a basic universal remote (like wiiu had) i can totally see holding the joycon upside-down with no issue for that

7. Nerdtendo
    OP

Sep 29, 2016
    United States
    I like the idea but functionality would be pretty low.

8. duffmmann

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    I want this too, but think about how it could possibly work. Either utilizing the right Joycon alone, where you're restricted to basic controls like channel up/down(X/B), volume up/down (A,Y) and maybe an input or menu button could be tied to the plus button, and then you can navigate those menus with the joystick and pushing the joystick in or any of the triggers to select (Keep in mind you'll have to be holding the right joycon upside down if this were to work), and I'm not entirely sure how if separated you could tell the joycon that its supposed to be in Universal remote mode now and not Switch controller mode, though I'm sure they could find a way. Not ideal, but this could work. Else, you could use the entire Switch as smart controller with the screen giving you options much like the Wii U gamepad worked as a smart universal remote. But this would require you to hold the entire Switch upside down because of where the IR blaster is located (but hey maybe if your Switch sensed that it was upside down it would automatically go into universal remote mode and the display would pop up on your screen upisde down from normal so that it appears right side up in this mode, this could work, but I think it would be pretty awkward). Point is, while I loved this aspect of the Wii U Gamepad, even though the Switch too might be capable of it, it would be not nearly as good of an implementation of the feature because of the design of the Switch compared to the Wii U Gamepad. Hell, the 3DS is better suited to be a universal remote than the Switch is at this point.

Last edited by duffmmann, Dec 12, 2017
  9. ov3rkill

ov3rkill GBAtemp Maniac

May 10, 2009
    Australia
    in a cardboard box
    I believe this would be useful on motion controlled games or perhaps future Wii VC or Wii port games.

10. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Maybe wii mode games? :unsure:

11. Nerdtendo
    OP

Sep 29, 2016
    United States
    I really don't think that's what it will be used for. The Switch would need an IR sensor like the Wii AND you would have to hold the controller upside down.

12. jt_1258

jt_1258 GBAtemps Midna

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    The Twilight Realm
    *cough cough* world of goo on the switch *cough*

13. Nerdtendo
    OP

Sep 29, 2016
    United States
    Doesn't count. It used gyro to mimick a pointer. Not the IR camera.

14. jt_1258

jt_1258 GBAtemps Midna

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    The Twilight Realm
    still, his point that it's not possible to wii pointer at all was the point of his I intended to hit, also, I don't think it would be that hard for nintendo to release a usb sensor bar for the switch anyway, it's possible

15. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    I am into horror games as well. Loved Resident Evil series!

16. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    It's an IR camera, not a transmitter.

DarthDub and Memoir like this.
  17. TheTrueDream42

TheTrueDream42 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2015
    United States
    What are the mini-games for 1-2-Switch before we keep going here.

18. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    How is it late? Had it been about the PS2 then it would be, here though there are likely a few years of it having games be designed and built from scratch aka still current and thus a perfectly viable question. I am genuinely puzzled and do not get the confusion over this one. The only thing I can think is people are so conditioned to get such discussions at the very launch/run up of a console's launch (or addon's launch) that having one a bit later is somehow odd.

Anyway I am going to have to look at the range, refresh rate and resolution of this one, and maybe how it might be augmented by the other features it has. If it is a webcam with an IR pass/with IR filters then that is one thing, if it is a glorified heat sensor from a burglar alarm then that is more limiting and if it is a remote control receiver then eh. I will probably then split it between homebrew and commercial uses -- for some homebrew fun I will litter my room with IR LEDs but no dev is going to do that commercially, slim possible exception if amiibos or something contained IR LEDs.

Littering the place I can then do a maze in the dark (or invisible in the light) which could be fun.
    Hiding an IR LED in something could then make for an amusing puzzle game where you get to point at the correct item after following some clues and the one with a suitable LED (blinking in a pattern or something) does whatever it does in games. I will give that the same thing can be done on a screen and has been able to be done for years but people do seem to enjoy breaking whatever the gaming equivalent of the fourth wall is.

I imagine it would make a for a very poor multiplayer game of "laser" tag/quest/whatever. Equally do I imagine enough people having switches out in the world to make it viable -- 3ds streetpass and DS wifi was good for it but the switch install base would make it tricky, and it is not even like there is the

Is it something that can decode a TV remote signal? I always liked the things in eternal darkness where it would drop the "volume" of my TV (though at the time I was using a nice wood panel effect 70s behemoth that had nothing resembling an on screen display). Granted HDMI CEC is probably the better candidate here and if there is no IR sender...

Thus for games you have a sensor bar or what looked like fairly close to skin there (though if it was to prevent false positives then I shall await results on the three Rs above).

19. Nerdtendo
    OP

Sep 29, 2016
    United States
    It is a single mini game where you hold the camera to your mouth and open/close it really fast to eat sandwiches.

9 months after a console's release seems pretty late for a prediction post. We pretty much know our answer. We've seen good use out of every feature advertised except for the IR camera.

20. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz Member

Newcomer
    Dec 12, 2017
    United States
    You're not wrong, but is it possible that as an IR camera that its also capable of also transmitting via IR? I mean as it is, it has to send out a signal in order to get a reading of what is in front of it.