Hardware what could I do with this spare pc?

Zalda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
these are the specs of the spare PC:

AMD athlon 64 x2 5000+ 2.60Ghz
asus m2n-vm dvi motherboard
GFX card: nvidia geforce 7050 (integrated GPU)
be quiet PSU
5 gb ddr2 800mhz ram
80gb sata hdd + 40gb hdd
dvd writer

I already have a NAS that acts as mediaplayer/storage/downloader, so that's not really necessary on this PC.
one of the things I bought this pc for is to idle in TF2, but what else can it do?
suggestions are highly appreciated

jrk190

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could give it to me! My laptop has 2gb DDR1 Ram, two broken hinges, one of the hinges are missing, running a not-so-legit copy of Windows, and can hardly use Google Chrome! ^_^

Reactions: Celice

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Spare PCs like that I tend to hook up to random things around the house, such as the TV. You say you've got a NAS for media and downloading, but I personally find using a computer is easier so long as it's not in my room.

If it was me, I'd fill it with as many drives as it can hold and use it as a storage PC for the entire household, and add media software and downloading software for the TV. If the CPU was any stronger, I'd also use it as a dedicated gaming server.

Zalda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Spare PCs like that I tend to hook up to random things around the house, such as the TV. You say you've got a NAS for media and downloading, but I personally find using a computer is easier so long as it's not in my room.

If it was me, I'd fill it with as many drives as it can hold and use it as a storage PC for the entire household, and add media software and downloading software for the TV. If the CPU was any stronger, I'd also use it as a dedicated gaming server.
the spare PC has a VGA out port, would a cable like this work with an old crt TV?

vga to RCA

i just might hook it up for some emulation action :P

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd probably add Intel NIC PCIe and turn it into PC Router/Firewall by installing pfsense.

the spare PC has a VGA out port, would a cable like this work with an old crt TV?

vga to RCA

i just might hook it up for some emulation action :P

Nope. VGA only outputs RGBHV in Progressive format. Composite outputs YPbPr in Interlace format. Simple cable adapter will NOT work. Not to mention that VGA does not carry audio. What a great way to scam people on ebay.

Zalda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'd probably add Intel NIC PCIe and turn it into PC Router/Firewall by installing pfsense.

Nope. VGA only outputs RGBHV in Progressive format. Composite outputs YPbPr in Interlace format. Simple cable adapter will NOT work. Not to mention that VGA does not carry audio. What a great way to scam people on ebay.
can you link me to the correct cable then, it's an RCA cable to VGA
maybe this one?

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Chocolina

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is NO such cable. Didn't you read my explanation? A simple cable where it remap pin does NOT work, due to completely different signal.

What you need is the actual converter box, http://www.ebay.com/itm/VGA-to-TV-RCA-Composite-Converter-Adapter-S-video-Box-PC-Laptop-Windows-Mac-Grey-/400467084370?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item5d3db2c452
VGA to RCA cables don't work but they have existed in the past. Never underestimate a chinaman trying to sell you junk.

Zalda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There is NO such cable. Didn't you read my explanation? A simple cable where it remap pin does NOT work, due to completely different signal.

What you need is the actual converter box, http://www.ebay.com/itm/VGA-to-TV-RCA-Composite-Converter-Adapter-S-video-Box-PC-Laptop-Windows-Mac-Grey-/400467084370?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item5d3db2c452
:'(
thanks for the clarification, it's sad but thanks for the explanation. I'll have to buy this adapter, it's much more expensive but better that than something that doesn't work

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a suggestion: You could go for a power-efficient GPU (say, the new 750 Ti) and use it to mine a cryptocurrency. You could make a decent amount of money if you hold on to them long enough.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you would need multiple high end amd gpu's to make any sort of money as far as mining is concerned and it would take a long time to break even

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have a suggestion: You could go for a power-efficient GPU (say, the new 750 Ti) and use it to mine a cryptocurrency. You could make a decent amount of money if you hold on to them long enough.
That's assuming electricity is free and mining difficulty stays the same.

Setting aside whether electricity is free or not, mining difficulty increases as people mines. So you are getting less and less coin as you mine. If you want good return in short amount of time you use ASIC miners, not GPU/CPU.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With that sort of power, I'd dedicate it as an emulation station. Maybe go as far as to install Linux Mint or SteamOS on it. There are still some MAME titles you will not be able to play, but for the most part, you about have all your bases covered. Emulation of other operating systems would certainly be plausible, WinUAE, VmWare, etc. etc. DOSbox would certainly be able to play the most advanced DOS CD releases without issue. Basically much of what we'd like to see be done on a hacked game console should be doable with your PC. If it had a different chip set, I'd suggest giving a few alt OS's a go such as AROS, Haiku, and the like. Though I'm not sure they support what you got.

Or if you are musically inclined, you could convert that puppy into one hell of a software based musick studio. Though I prefer actual hardware my self.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's assuming electricity is free and mining difficulty stays the same.

Setting aside whether electricity is free or not, mining difficulty increases as people mines. So you are getting less and less coin as you mine. If you want good return in short amount of time you use ASIC miners, not GPU/CPU.
Many altcoins use algorithms that make current ASIC mining methods inefficient when compared to GPU mining (hence why I said "a cryptocurrency", rather than "bitcoin"), so I wouldn't discount it entirely.

And yes, you have to pay for electricity...but power-efficient hardware can make a world of difference. Hence why I mentioned the 750 Ti (lots of reports of it being more cost- and energy-efficient compared to just about every other GPU on the market).

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Many altcoins use algorithms that make current ASIC mining methods inefficient when compared to GPU mining (hence why I said "a cryptocurrency", rather than "bitcoin"), so I wouldn't discount it entirely.

Even with Litecoin, where it uses Scrypt instead of SHA-256, GPU mining is still very inefficient. There are ASIC specifically designed for Litecoin or any cryptocurrency using scrypt.

And Litecoin still has mining difficulty that only keeps increasing as people mines it. While GTX 750 Ti is an interesting choice for mining right now, it won't be couple months later.

If you want to profit from cryptocurrency, the best way would be to buy low sell high.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse