Gaming What control method will be better for Super Mario Odyssey?

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've seen that some actions in game have specific joy-con motion controls such as throwing the frying pans with each hand as you flick it. I'm not sure how these motions work with a pro controller, do you shake the pro controller? (Seems unlikely considering the joy cons register as separate for the left and right hand) I'm guessing a button can be pushed instead on the pro controller for things like that. As such I'm curious, how do you intend to start playing? While I prefer the feel and grip of the pro controller, I do get the opinion that the motion controls in each individual joycon may be pretty satisfying for this game. I'm thinking I'll start with the Joy Cons and see how that feels and if I'm not feeling it, then moving to the pro controller, which is pretty opposite from how I first approach all other games I've gotten for the Switch thus far.

Uumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I've seen that some actions in game have specific joy-con motion controls such as throwing the frying pans with each hand as you flick it. I'm not sure how these motions work with a pro controller, do you shake the pro controller? (Seems unlikely considering the joy cons register as separate for the left and right hand) I'm guessing a button can be pushed instead on the pro controller for things like that. As such I'm curious, how do you intend to start playing? While I prefer the feel and grip of the pro controller, I do get the opinion that the motion controls in each individual joycon may be pretty satisfying for this game. I'm thinking I'll start with the Joy Cons and see how that feels and if I'm not feeling it, then moving to the pro controller, which is pretty opposite from how I first approach all other games I've gotten for the Switch thus far.
I'd just use the pro controller until a point in the game where the joy-cons are used

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doing a quick search revealed this article: http://mashable.com/2017/10/26/super-mario-odyssey-joy-con-tips/#m3XzyNcLPgqU

This guy who has played it is singing praises of playing with split up joy cons. It does look like it might be the best way to play it from the footage I've seen (though admittedly I've limited myself pretty well in regard to the footage I've seen for this game).

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using my procontroller, you can shake your procontroller to do a special move, plus the pro controller is comfy af.

Yeah, after reading the article I posted above I see that the pro controller does work for shaking, but even still they made an argument for why split joys are still considerably better, and it does sound like it. But we'll see, if I don't like the feel, I'll switch to my pro controller.

Reactions: MeowMeowMeow
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
All control schemes work fine, really. They recommend split joycons because of the motion controls, but most motion controls have a button equivalent and the game, according to others, plays just fine with a Pro controller or the Joycon grip. Play however you like! Most will probably enjoy the ergonomics of the Pro controller when playing at home.

Ceuse

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Some stuff doesnt have button equivilents though (ie you have to shake to keep rolling while puahing the button only lets you start it) or jump extra high as a frog

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
pro controller all the way. you don't need to use the motion controls except for a few moons when i need to use them i just give the procon a tiny shake and it does the trick.

Reactions: peteruk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 9:02 am here