Hacking What CFW should I use?

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
xist said:
Why are you on 5.50 rather than 5.00 then? By your reasoning 5.50GEN+Prome is inferior to 5.00M33+Prome, so why use it? You can't argue that it's pointless to update to PRO firmware and then sit on a firmware that's inferior to it's predecessor.

The simple fact is that most people who rally against the new firmwares have never tried them. There are legit reasons to use M33 and PRO...5.50 lacks those reasons.

Like I said, I'm lazy. It can take me days just to throw a game on. I'll move down when I'm ready to do so (primarily because moving down from 5.50 Prome-4 is a bit of work). It doesn't change the fact that your skirting around the fact that PRO isn't as good as people like to brag about.

Why would I use a new firmware with less functionality (bar the useless PSN access)? Give me good reasons why somebody already using a lower firmware that fulfills their needs would need to upgrade to 6.20 PRO. A speed upgrade and one PSN game that isn't even that great that is finally working isn't exactly something that seals the deal. Yet, every time somebody says they are on a lower CFW such as 5.50 Prome-4, people always tell them to upgrade to 6.20 PRO. I mean always, not just the majority of the time.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Not trying to be an ass, Bro...

Just for the record, PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT NEEDS. Just because YOU don't use PSN doesn't mean others won't or don't want to. I know PLENTY of people who have played ISOs but want DLC, or want to support PSX Classics that are ACTUALLY on PSN. Your opinion is based on ignorance; Like I said, just because 5.50 does everything YOU need it to do, doesn't mean it is better than other FWs (when it's not) and that we should suggest it to people (when others are in fact better).

It's like, if I said I got a Game Boy SP. My friend tells me, "Oh, it's pointless, I don't need a light and I have tons of batteries what a waste of money." I KNOW for a fact the SP is better (Li-ion battery? backlight? COME ON BRO) But my friend argues that it's not worth the 70 dollar investment. Just because HE doesn't have a use for the features it presents done't mean anything; and he is entitled to his opinion but he doesn't have the right to knock something that he has not actually tried. It means his opinion is that of another, and he shoudl form his own opinion before stating "facts".

We are not forcing you to upgrade; we just want you to understand that 5.50 GEN/PromeXX is outdated; and other FWs have more appealing features present day.
happy.gif

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Nathan Drake said:
Why would I use a new firmware with less functionality (bar the useless PSN access)? Give me good reasons why somebody already using a lower firmware that fulfills their needs would need to upgrade

You are already. You're using 5.50 Prome rather than 5.00 Prome,and based upon that your entire case against PRO crumbles.

rad140

GBAtemp's "over quoter"
Trophies
Website
rad140.livejournal.com
XP
Country
Canada
Keeping on topic with the thread, it depends what you're looking for.
If you must have custom PSX support, then it's probably better to stay with 5.00M33-6 or 5.50 GEN/Prom.

For everything else, you might as well upgrade to PRO at this point, as it's getting better and better, and even the custom PSX support argument may be moot soon if it gets a good version of Popsloader.
6.20 PRO has a permanent patch and 6.35/6.39 are temporary.

Personally, I've been using 6.35 PRO-B7 recently. I'm too lazy to upgrade to 6.39 atm.

ars25

I like tacos and pie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rad140 said:
Keeping on topic with the thread, it depends what you're looking for.
If you must have custom PSX support, then it's probably better to stay with 5.00M33-6 or 5.50 GEN/Prom.

For everything else, you might as well upgrade to PRO at this point, as it's getting better and better, and even the custom PSX support argument may be moot soon if it gets a good version of Popsloader.
6.20 PRO has a permanent patch and 6.35/6.39 are temporary.

Personally, I've been using 6.35 PRO-B7 recently. I'm too lazy to upgrade to 6.39 atm.
6.39 is perm only for 100x and some 200x so it's perm but it is only useable to those who have 100x and some 200x

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
Nathan Drake said:
There are two reasons that people hack the PSP, and these reasons are always together, never just one or the other.You can keep believing bullshit if you want, but don't push it on others.

And you can continue to believe the bullshit of your own. I'm quite privy to why people softmod shit. I know nobody who does it exclusively for homebrew and other fun legal reasons. The only people I know of who haven't softmodded their PSP, don't want to pirate.

You are already. You're using 5.50 Prome rather than 5.00 Prome,and based upon that your entire case against PRO crumbles.

And yet, you still haven't provided any valid reasoning for using 6.20 PRO. If the lower firmwares are better, why are later, worse firmwares suggested? This has yet to be answered. The question has been danced around like a politician is answering it.

Just to note: I'm fairly bored of the repetitiveness of this all. I guess you guys can keep screwing people new to the PSP scene, while suggesting crappy CFW to those who don't have as much knowledge. I'll remain smart and only suggest good CFW.

Schlupi

Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Nathan Drake said:
Rydian said:
Nathan Drake said:
There are two reasons that people hack the PSP, and these reasons are always together, never just one or the other.You can keep believing bullshit if you want, but don't push it on others.

And you can continue to believe the bullshit of your own. I'm quite privy to why people softmod shit. I know nobody who does it exclusively for homebrew and other fun legal reasons. The only people I know of who haven't softmodded their PSP, don't want to pirate.

And yet, you still haven't provided any valid reasoning for using 6.20 PRO. If the lower firmwares are better, why are later, worse firmwares suggested? This has yet to be answered. The question has been danced around like a politician is answering it.

Just to note: I'm fairly bored of the repetitiveness of this all. I guess you guys can keep screwing people new to the PSP scene, while suggesting crappy CFW to those who don't have as much knowledge. I'll remain smart and only suggest good CFW.

???? Are you just in a Trolling mood, or did you COMPLETELY miss everything I (and we) posted?
unsure.gif

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i was mainly waiting for rydians response to this, as i trust his opinion on psp. thanks for all the responses. since i have a pandora battery i can try what one i want and if im not happy just downgrade. im working on a getting a bigger mspd. once i do, i think ill try PRO.

should i go for 6.39 or an earlier version? i don't really care about pops. just looking for the firmware that will play the latest games so i don't have to be bothered if i get a new game. are sony still making the games with ap anymore? last i checked the psp release scene i got dj max 3 and am very disappointed in it.

edit: shit it seems that gen with prom plugin reports firmware as 9.90 so it wont update easily. that sucks! i assume i'll have to do it through a pandora.

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
VashTS said:
i was mainly waiting for rydians response to this, as i trust his opinion on psp. thanks for all the responses. since i have a pandora battery i can try what one i want and if im not happy just downgrade. im working on a getting a bigger mspd. once i do, i think ill try PRO.

should i go for 6.39 or an earlier version? i don't really care about pops. just looking for the firmware that will play the latest games so i don't have to be bothered if i get a new game. are sony still making the games with ap anymore? last i checked the psp release scene i got dj max 3 and am very disappointed in it.

I want to answer but I'm not Rydian
frown.gif

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nah dude, i want answers. i just went to PRO B7, i am going to be really annoyed if i cannot have this permanently in. so far the version i got is only a lite version, meaning its gone if the psp powers off. it said it was writing to flash when it installed.

oh man ill be angry if i just wasted my time.

Schlupi

Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
VashTS said:
nah dude, i want answers. i just went to PRO B7, i am going to be really annoyed if i cannot have this permanently in. so far the version i got is only a lite version, meaning its gone if the psp powers off. it said it was writing to flash when it installed.

oh man ill be angry if i just wasted my time.

WHY did you update to 6.39? it is only permanent for 1000s and 2000s. 6.20 is the way to go; has all the same features and online access but it can be permanently installed on ANY PSP (besides 9g 3000s). If you have a old fully hackable model, cool, you just forgot to run the permapatcher. It is separate from the installer.

Also... if you did some reading of my posts, you would have found out you can use Hellcat's Recovery Flasher to install any firmware. You could have avoided the Pandora and DDC Hassle and just used that instead.

Upon closer reading, I see you DO have an old model; just run your Perma Patch and it will stay on after each complete shut down. Alternatively, why not just use sleep mode? And I still wanna know why you went to 6.39 instead of 6.20; I guess it doesn't matter since you have an old model.

last edit: By the way, the Perma Patcher is included with the PRO-7 update package.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Nathan Drake said:

Yes i have, you've just failed to see that firmwares are intended for the greater majority and not just you. Just because you can live without upgrades many people enjoy them, and suggesting new users of the PSP to use semi-broken GEN firmwares is not very helpful for them as they'll soon run into situations where they're forced to ask questions, which wouldn't be necessary.

Plus YOU still haven't provided any valid reason for using 5.50 Prome. 5.00 is faster, boasts better compatibility and has access to the 1.50 Kernel among other things. Saying that you're lazy doesn't cut it when you've had months....you can't base an argument on one thing but betray it by what you're using.

Everyone here pretty much knows i use a vanilla 5.00M33-6 firmware in the main, but would i recommend it to new PSP users? No, because new PSP owners should be gently introduced to a firmware....PRO firmwares are a far better introduction to the PSP "scene" than anything else.

Oh and
QUOTE(VashTS @ Jun 29 2011, 11:32 PM) i was mainly waiting for rydians response to this, as i trust his opinion on psp. thanks for all the responses.

Rydian has become lord of the updates!
yaypsp.gif

f00had

Trophies
XP
Country
Quick question... I'm currently on 6.20 PRO-B5. Should I upgrade to 6.20 PRO-B7 or 6.39 PRO-B7?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Doesn't matter....they're effectively the same. If anything unless you're really desperate to add steps 6.20 would be a more economical change.

I'm guessing this is a topic non grata on 313....
wink.gif

f00had

Trophies
XP
Country
Those guys over there don't like custard
tongue.gif
Guess I'll stick to 6.20 until a game tells me to update. Think the Gladiators demo from PSN told me to do that but it looked crap anyway so I just deleted it. If I were to upgrade to 6.39 PRO what do I need to do, I'm guessing install the official 6.39 firmware then PRO firmware?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
f00had said:
If I were to upgrade to 6.39 PRO what do I need to do, I'm guessing install the official 6.39 firmware then PRO firmware?

Yup, update to 6.39 and then run PRO. If you have a fully flashable PSP (make DOUBLY sure if it's a 2000) you can also make 6.39 permanent like 6.20.

f00had

Trophies
XP
Country
I got a launch PSP-1000 so no worries there mate. Got nothing else to do with my day so I guess I'll get 6.39 PRO-B7
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...