What CFW do you use? (Poll)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by ancient_magicks, Mar 18, 2017.

?

What CFW do you use?

1. Luma3DS

2. Corbenik

3. ReiNAND

4. Yet another RxTools?

5. SaltFW

6. CakesFW

7. Original RxTools

8. Puma33DS

9. No CFW/Virgin 3DS

Results are only viewable after voting.
Mar 18, 2017
  1. Seliph

Member Seliph Scion of Light/Orphan

United States
    Pretty sure Gateway isn't CFW
    Nvm it is

Last edited by Seliph, Mar 18, 2017

2. CrimsonMaple

Member CrimsonMaple EXPLOSION!!~

United States
    It is. It's a proprietary one. It still patches a native firm, and makes alterations to the firmware so it fits the bill.

3. Mark McDonut

Member Mark McDonut GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    without starting a flame war, it's a pretty bad practice to punish the unbeknownst public of a clone card by bricking their actual 3ds, then lying about it. NOBODY deserved to have their personal hardware destroyed over a butt-blasted flashcard maker.

It's understandable to make your own firmware compatible with your own devices, but you don't attack the consumer who may have no idea.

I don't rally against gateway by any means, they're just REALLY shady. Could you imagine if there was a wood firmware that bricked people's r4's and told them they got what they deserved? no, because a responsible firmware programmer lists limitations and warnings, they don't insert system bricking code, lie about it, then go into damage control mode when it malfunctions and bricks a legit cartridge (which i think happened to one of the mods here if i recall)

Don't defend them.

4. gnmmarechal

Member gnmmarechal Priest of Serielism

Portugal
    I use a number of them, but Corbenik is my main

5. porkiewpyne

Member porkiewpyne Report-er

Australia
    @DarkFlare69 I know exactly what you mean. It just frustrates me that people just cannot be civil any more. All this masterrace bullshit is plain stupid. I mean, people are HAPPY to see compatibility break for things other than what they are using.

And I do believe there were some casualties but they did try to make up for it, though for some people it didn't go too well either. But they were few and far between compared to that caused by the clones.

@Seliph GW still is a CFW actually.

@Mark McDonut As with just about anything to do with ethics, I think it is debatable. Given the shady nature of their business to start with, I suppose it was the fastest and most surefire way of sending a message at the expense of some people. I mean, it's not like they could bring their competitors to court for copyright infringement XD Not saying it is ethically right but I think it was effective. I think the second wave with the DSTwo 4in1 in addition to them making a announcement about it cemented the idea that anyone who tries to pull the same thing again will have it coming. Of course, it would have been infinitely better if they could somehow permanently brick the clone cart without destroying the 3DS in the process because a bricked 3DS is counterproductive to getting more customers.

6. Ryccardo

Member Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Italy
    My version of Luma but with more options, since I was fed up of its mandatory regionfree patches - yet it not having the "force TestMenu" one
    (To the best of my knowledge, it also was -at least back then- the only compiled and released CFW with country spoofing)

Then once I started understanding better Cakes, I switched to it and added those features to its 3ds_injector (which I haven't released publicly, this time around)

Last edited by Ryccardo, Mar 18, 2017
  7. DarkFlare69

Member DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Flame wars are unnecessary
    They did warn people many times to not use a clone card though. Anyone who bought a card, whether a clone or the original one, saw the message since they all link to Gateway's download site. I agree Gateway is shady and their business practices are unethical but what else can you expect from a flashcard company who's main purpose is to promote piracy? People should already be wary just knowing this even if they don't know about the brick code or any of that.

I'm not really sticking up for them, only saying things that people tend to skip over

Chelsea_Fantasy likes this.
  8. Mark McDonut

Member Mark McDonut GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    @Mark McDonut As with just about anything to do with ethics, I think it is debatable. Given the shady nature of their business to start with, I suppose it was the fastest and most surefire way of sending a message at the expense of some people. I mean, it's not like they could bring their competitors to court for copyright infringement XD Not saying it is ethically right but I think it was effective. I think the second wave with the DSTwo 4in1 in addition to them making a announcement about it cemented the idea that anyone who tries to pull the same thing again will have it coming. Of course, it would have been infinitely better if they could somehow permanently brick the clone cart without destroying the 3DS in the process because a bricked 3DS is counterproductive to getting more customers.[/QUOTE]

see I wouldn't have been as fired up if they just bricked the clone card, so i agree with you there. but them and others saying consumers deserved it was just in really bad taste on everyone's part.

DarkFlare69 likes this.
  9. porkiewpyne

Member porkiewpyne Report-er

Australia
    @Mark McDonut Considering the clones have proven time and time again that they are pretty bad at ensuring the safety of "their" code, I assume that they would have chosen to brick the cart instead if they could especially with the second wave. But that is me giving them the benefit of the doubt because surely they can see the benefit of going down that route.

10. I_AM_L_FORCE

Member I_AM_L_FORCE Unban me from Discord

United Kingdom
    I use Luma on my SD, and SaltFW on my ctrNAND :)

11. epickid37

Newcomer epickid37 Advanced Member

United States
    i don't understand why anyone would use a cia for a game. tikdevil+eshop is where it's at

12. Ryccardo

Member Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Italy
    Have fun when the eshop closes and you don't have your, uhhh, BACKUP games to install anymore

13. epickid37

Newcomer epickid37 Advanced Member

United States
    i have a few backup plans:P