• No CFW/Virgin 3DS

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a shame that people who haven't even tried Gateway hate it because of false rumors and bad features that don't need to affect them. For example, the GW A9LH installation is hell. It's a bad feature. What can you do about this? It's real simple: Don't use this feature. Another thing I see people say is that Gateway ripped off of the community. However, it was one of the first CFWs. Luma is a fork of reiNand and no one gets mad. Another complaint is the price. It varies from anywhere between $25 and $90. Of course it'll be "expensive" if you choose to buy it from an expensive place. Wait for a cheaper price to come around or make money from using it. Above I said my Gateway paid for itself 5 times because I know how to make codes using Gateway before NTR was anywhere near it. Codes --> videos --> ads --> money. Also I've seen people mad about the brick code. It only bricks people who deserve it and (correct me if I'm wrong) not a single user was bricked who didn't deserve it. I would be mad too if I developed a CFW and flashcard and then someone else took all the money I could have made from it and used the exact same software I developed. I'm not really sticking up for Gateway because of the lack of 11.3 support but I just wanted some people to know this

without starting a flame war, it's a pretty bad practice to punish the unbeknownst public of a clone card by bricking their actual 3ds, then lying about it. NOBODY deserved to have their personal hardware destroyed over a butt-blasted flashcard maker.

It's understandable to make your own firmware compatible with your own devices, but you don't attack the consumer who may have no idea.

I don't rally against gateway by any means, they're just REALLY shady. Could you imagine if there was a wood firmware that bricked people's r4's and told them they got what they deserved? no, because a responsible firmware programmer lists limitations and warnings, they don't insert system bricking code, lie about it, then go into damage control mode when it malfunctions and bricks a legit cartridge (which i think happened to one of the mods here if i recall)

Don't defend them.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
@DarkFlare69 I know exactly what you mean. It just frustrates me that people just cannot be civil any more. All this masterrace bullshit is plain stupid. I mean, people are HAPPY to see compatibility break for things other than what they are using.

And I do believe there were some casualties but they did try to make up for it, though for some people it didn't go too well either. But they were few and far between compared to that caused by the clones.

@Seliph GW still is a CFW actually.

@Mark McDonut As with just about anything to do with ethics, I think it is debatable. Given the shady nature of their business to start with, I suppose it was the fastest and most surefire way of sending a message at the expense of some people. I mean, it's not like they could bring their competitors to court for copyright infringement XD Not saying it is ethically right but I think it was effective. I think the second wave with the DSTwo 4in1 in addition to them making a announcement about it cemented the idea that anyone who tries to pull the same thing again will have it coming. Of course, it would have been infinitely better if they could somehow permanently brick the clone cart without destroying the 3DS in the process because a bricked 3DS is counterproductive to getting more customers.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
What in the hell is Puma33DS?
My version of Luma but with more options, since I was fed up of its mandatory regionfree patches - yet it not having the "force TestMenu" one
(To the best of my knowledge, it also was -at least back then- the only compiled and released CFW with country spoofing)

Then once I started understanding better Cakes, I switched to it and added those features to its 3ds_injector (which I haven't released publicly, this time around)

Last edited by Ryccardo,

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
without starting a flame war, it's a pretty bad practice to punish the unbeknownst public of a clone card by bricking their actual 3ds, then lying about it. NOBODY deserved to have their personal hardware destroyed over a butt-blasted flashcard maker.

It's understandable to make your own firmware compatible with your own devices, but you don't attack the consumer who may have no idea.

I don't rally against gateway by any means, they're just REALLY shady. Could you imagine if there was a wood firmware that bricked people's r4's and told them they got what they deserved? no, because a responsible firmware programmer lists limitations and warnings, they don't insert system bricking code, lie about it, then go into damage control mode when it malfunctions and bricks a legit cartridge (which i think happened to one of the mods here if i recall)

Don't defend them.
Flame wars are unnecessary
They did warn people many times to not use a clone card though. Anyone who bought a card, whether a clone or the original one, saw the message since they all link to Gateway's download site. I agree Gateway is shady and their business practices are unethical but what else can you expect from a flashcard company who's main purpose is to promote piracy? People should already be wary just knowing this even if they don't know about the brick code or any of that.

I'm not really sticking up for them, only saying things that people tend to skip over

Reactions: Chelsea_Fantasy

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Mark McDonut As with just about anything to do with ethics, I think it is debatable. Given the shady nature of their business to start with, I suppose it was the fastest and most surefire way of sending a message at the expense of some people. I mean, it's not like they could bring their competitors to court for copyright infringement XD Not saying it is ethically right but I think it was effective. I think the second wave with the DSTwo 4in1 in addition to them making a announcement about it cemented the idea that anyone who tries to pull the same thing again will have it coming. Of course, it would have been infinitely better if they could somehow permanently brick the clone cart without destroying the 3DS in the process because a bricked 3DS is counterproductive to getting more customers.[/QUOTE]

see I wouldn't have been as fired up if they just bricked the clone card, so i agree with you there. but them and others saying consumers deserved it was just in really bad taste on everyone's part.

Reactions: DarkFlare69

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
@Mark McDonut Considering the clones have proven time and time again that they are pretty bad at ensuring the safety of "their" code, I assume that they would have chosen to brick the cart instead if they could especially with the second wave. But that is me giving them the benefit of the doubt because surely they can see the benefit of going down that route.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...