Hacking What can be done on the Vita so far?

Arizato

Memento Mori
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been meaning to buy a Vita for quite some time now. I've read some articles on wololo.net and it's come to my understanding that the Vita scene is moving along fairly well. But what can we do with the Vita so far?

Is it only homebrew so far? Are we able to play PSX and PSP backups yet?

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It can play Vita games.
Yeah you can play PSX and PSP games on it but you need to have a lower firmware to 'hack' it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It can play Vita games.
Yeah you can play PSX and PSP games on it but you need to have a lower firmware to 'hack' it.
Actually, eCFW doesn't contain the same POPS found on standard PSP's. As of late, some developers figured out a way to launch PSX games on the Vita, however they currently run without sound. You can play PSP backups flawlessy though, as well as PSP homebrew as long as you have eCFW installed.

That said, the PSVita is a bucket of fun even without being hacked, to be perfectly honest. I have a DS flashcart for my Lite and a CFW on my PSP and I haven't touched them in weeks - the Vita really packs a punch feature-wise - great browser, great Youtube app, Skype with voice and video chat, PlayStation Party and Messages for contacting other Vita users as well as PS3 users, Facebook and whatnot, video player which pretty much "plays whatever you throw at it", a music player which, albeit lacking a few features (please, add making playlists on the Vita without using iTunes... I mean, c'mon, Sony!) and although it only has a handful of games at the moment, the great majority of them are fantastic. Been three weeks now and I'm nowhere near finishing the ones I got with PSPlus, and there's more heading my way mid-december! I'm extremely satisfied with the system. I could go on and on, but you just have to try it out yourself to "get the experience".

Arizato

Memento Mori
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
That's not a problem. I will make sure to get one below 1.81 when I buy one. It's a shame Sony didn't support the passport thing in EU or US. Which is why I want to back up my PSP games for the Vita. Don't really want to rebuy them just to be able to play them on the Vita.

How do the PSP games look on the Vita? The OLED screen must give them a "sharper" feeling, since the PSP's screen was kinda blurry.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That's not a problem. I will make sure to get one below 1.81 when I buy one. It's a shame Sony didn't support the passport thing in EU or US. Which is why I want to back up my PSP games for the Vita. Don't really want to rebuy them just to be able to play them on the Vita.

How do the PSP games look on the Vita? The OLED screen must give them a "sharper" feeling, since the PSP's screen was kinda blurry.
They look "better", yes, and you can use Dual Analog. Leaving your Vita on 1.81 or below won't help you - you need to purchase games from the PSN store to use exploits, and to access the store, you need the latest firmware.

We're all waiting for a new exploit. ;) It's coming up soon, already confirmed to work on 2.01.

Arizato

Memento Mori
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
They look "better", yes, and you can use Dual Analog. Leaving your Vita on 1.81 or below won't help you - you need to purchase games from the PSN store to use exploits, and to access the store, you need the latest firmware.

We're all waiting for a new exploit. ;) It's coming up soon, already confirmed to work on 2.01.

Hmm, I see. Is this exploit tied to a game on PSN like the other ones? Or is this an exploit you can use without a certain game?

Arizato

Memento Mori
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It's tied to a downloadable game you'll have to buy on the PSN Store before they pull it off.

Seems I have to wait for the next exploit if this one comes out soon. Don't have the money to buy a Vita right about now. It's making me nervous though. It's hit or miss with exploits like that.

Would I be able to buy the game on my PS3 when the exploit arrives and just have it laying around until I get a Vita, and transfer it to the system that way?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Seems I have to wait for the next exploit if this one comes out soon. Don't have the money to buy a Vita right about now. It's making me nervous though. It's hit or miss with exploits like that.

Would I be able to buy the game on my PS3 when the exploit arrives and just have it laying around until I get a Vita, and transfer it to the system that way?
Yes, and you should be able to transfer it just fine as far as I know. Not sure if a work-around is required, I'm not a PS3 owner myself... yet. :creep:

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sounds great! Thanks for all the answers!
Double-check the PS3 transfering bit, as I'm really uncertain if it transfers directly or downloads from the PSN server - either way, you should be able to re-download/transfer, even if the title is pulled off the store, of course, provided it will be a game available on the PS3.

Goofy Time

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's tied to games.

Just out of curiosity here, how often do you think it will stay tied to games? That seems to be the interesting battle on Vita here, as it's not so much updating your hacked/custom stuff before the push to a new firmware, but requiring you to purchase an entirely new product. I'm still on 1.81 because I don't want to lose playing some PSP games on my Vita, but there are actually some Vita games I want to buy, like the Ys IV remake. Granted, a US release will be in late 2013, so maybe things will change, but yeah, this hopping back and forth can only go so long before a new approach has to be taken, I feel.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Just out of curiosity here, how often do you think it will stay tied to games? That seems to be the interesting battle on Vita here, as it's not so much updating your hacked/custom stuff before the push to a new firmware, but requiring you to purchase an entirely new product. I'm still on 1.81 because I don't want to lose playing some PSP games on my Vita, but there are actually some Vita games I want to buy, like the Ys IV remake. Granted, a US release will be in late 2013, so maybe things will change, but yeah, this hopping back and forth can only go so long before a new approach has to be taken, I feel.
It's pretty much the only option at the moment, since there aren't any other options available.

Wololo has pointed this out and that's the reason why they're using cheaper minis to use as exploits. Also quite a few bigger (UMD release sized) games have already been used for the exploits, because they can't be updated. Now with the PSVita, that's not the situation anymore. You can't use UMDs and PSN is pretty much the only choice now. Older games have been patched and can't be used.

As for the future, no one will know. If there is no sudden breakthrough with the PSVita, you'll be forced to buy the games. Luckily Sony has Minis as giveaways quite often :P

Keo-Spin1080

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
UVLoader is where its at. VHBL runs off the PSP Kernal hence all the savedata buffer exploits. If YifanLu gets access to the Vita Kernel then the systems wide open. Maybe utilising the same CFW methods like the PSP scene.

CompC

Trophies
Website
josh.birnholz.com
XP
Country
United States
So, I just bought a Vita, mainly so I can keep playing PlayStation All-Stars with my friends online, plus Sly 4 when that comes out. (I loved the Sly Cooper games on PS2, but skipped out on the PS3.)

Will I be able to hack it? If I need a lower firmware, how old does it have to be? I ordered a refurbished Vita so I don't know what version it will be on.

So you can basically run most PSP emulators as well as PSP backups, right? That's what I mainly want.

Keo-Spin1080

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
CompC

First What FW you on??? Go to settings>system info> Post that number here.

Second Do you own a PS3?

Can't help you without that info

CompC

Trophies
Website
josh.birnholz.com
XP
Country
United States
CompC

First What FW you on??? Go to settings>system info> Post that number here.

Second Do you own a PS3?

Can't help you without that info
No, I don't have a PS3, but a bunch of my friends do...
I just ordered the Vita, I won't get it for a few days, and it's refurbished so I don't know what version it will be on. What version should I want it to be on? I'll post it once I get the system.

Keo-Spin1080

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Anything lower than 2.02 / 2.01

Preferably 1.01 1.67 1.81

If its on 2.01 or higher then sorry you're SOL and have to wait for a new exploit to be found. Virtuous Flame has a 2.02 eCFW running but not yet public release so its a waiting game yet again!

Hey if it is its not all doom and gloom. Enjoy the new tweaks the newer firmware gives like Faster internet browsing / faster screenshot capture and accessing web whilst vita gaming etc.

I'm tempted to upgrade myself but just love the HB scene too damn much!!!

P.S Be sure to check PSN has funds ready to buy the new game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: