Hardware What about the 3DS's build quality?

Jerald214

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I'm just curious, how well-built do you think the 3DS will be? Sure hope that Nintendo has learned about the issues with the DS lite and DSi's shoulder button and hinge issues. (I've got a DS lite, R button is broken with a cracked hinge. I also have a DSi, the L button won't work properly anymore.)
smile.gif

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
You need to play like a normal human, I have a DS phat since its launch and its in perfect condition, DS lite since 2008 and its perfecto, DSi since this January and its also perfectly fine, I don't see any problem in their qualities. Its not the handheld, its the holder.

Jerald214

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
SamAsh07 said:
You need to play like a normal human, I have a DS phat since its launch and its in perfect condition, DS lite since 2008 and its perfecto, DSi since this January and its also perfectly fine, I don't see any problem in their qualities. Its not the handheld, its the holder.

Well, I AM not alone, I've seen numerous posts with the same complaints as mine from different forums and sites.
mellow.gif

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
@SamAsh
That may be true, but the build quality still counts. It says something when you hear a lot of stories about your device breaking in the same places all the time. I always hear about hinge issues and shoulder button problems. This is especially important when selling to children

lostdwarf

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
my dsi has only been back from nintendo's service center after the right shoulder button stopped working for 3 weeks and now the left shoulder button is broken and i am sending it back tomorrow now i have my label. Dammit. I had no problems with the dsphat or dslite, but since getting my dsi i have had to send it in for shoulder button repairs 3 times already and am about to send it away again, which sucks co now i wont have a dsi for about 2 or 3 weeks, and i know when i get it back it will break again.
I dont think it will be any better for the 3DS. It looks like the same case so same problems are likely. Also my hinge comes loose and wobbles... I really hope they solvw this... I will wait a few months after release to buy a 3ds to see what others think first.

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had my L, then later my R, buttons stop functioning on my DSi. Sent to Nintendo both times for repair. Worth noting is that when you send your console in to Nintendo, it extends your warranty a year from when you get it back. My DSi XL hasn't had any problems yet. And none of my DS Lites had issues either. My hinge on my Phat broke however. Also, lagman had one of his shoulder buttons on his DSi also stop responding.

So yes, good build quality, please Nintendo. But if you don't, your warranty is great so I'll just use it and have my warranty extended each time.
smile.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
I've actually seen several impressions saying it's considerably more sturdy feeling than any other incarnation of the DS.
Same here, they say its heavier too but remember the E3 model was still a prototype.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
xcdjy said:
What do you people do to your DS's to make the hinges break?

This.

Do you guys take hammers to them or something? I've had a DS Lite since launch, and it's still in perfect condition. It even looks pretty new, if I take the time to polish the fingerprints/etc. off the casing. I dunno how you're doing it, but you need to learn to treat your stuff better.

specht

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
IMO, I've never seen a device as sturdy as my DS Lite. I've seen photos of the "common" spot the hinge breaks at, though I've never seen a broken DS Lite in person. If you go crazy with opening and shutting the thing enough for the hinge to break it's your own fault.

I think the 3DS looks pretty sturdy. But I'd have to use one to have an actual opinion on it.

Mikehoncho16

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xcdjy said:
I dropped my old DSL down the stairs once - by complete accident - and everything was fine.
Do you go at them with a hammer or something?
They do this

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
granville said:
I've actually seen several impressions saying it's considerably more sturdy feeling than any other incarnation of the DS.
I saw a video earlier mentioning that it was sturdier and had more weight to it as well. I like consoles to have substance to them, and I hope the shoulder buttons will have less trouble than before.

dhjohn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
xcdjy said:
I dropped my old DSL down the stairs once - by complete accident - and everything was fine.
Do you go at them with a hammer or something?

Its just from opening and closing it too much, I think. My ds lite developed a crack on the right side of the hinge a while ago, then after six months to a year, the crack broke open. I superglued it back together, and its been fine ever sense. I've had the lite for a few years.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a launch DS that worked perfectly. I gave it to my niece for Christmas as soon as the Black DS lite launched in USA. She broke it in less than a year.

My black launch DS lite still works perfectly. The A and B buttons are getting a little mushy, but it still works. (I already have replacement contact pads to replace them when they die completely or become too annoying)

It's all in the handling of the unit. Wear is one thing, but I think there may also be a difference between actually working for and buying it yourself as opposed to receiving it as a gift or whatever other way a person may have gotten it without paying for it themselves. And let's face it, many kids today are spoiled brats that don't take care of anything because they figure mommy and daddy will just buy them a new one if they break it and whine and cry when that doesn't happen.

People carrying the DS around with them in a pocket or backpack can also put a kind of a tweaking stress on the system without ever realizing it and get lint in the shoulder buttons, and so they quit working, or the hinge or screen cracks.

Some people can't control their anger when they die in their game and treat the unit abusively without realizing the damage they are causing.

Finally, there are defects. It happens and can sometimes take a while to manifest itself.

Barring defects and normal wear, it's all in how you take care of your stuff that means the most. Taking care of things is a life lesson, not an instinct.

That said, I doubt the 3DS will be built with any better or worse quality than the current DS's on the market.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs