What’s In A Name?

Wait! Fear not! I am not going to bore you with a literature piece but I’m about to discuss about naming relating to video games.

Whats-In-A-Name.png

Rather than delving into the deceptively hard process of naming a video game, I’m more interested in knowing how you call your console/video game. Well, I don’t mean to say that you converse with your console or game, which is actually okay if you do, but what I really mean is how you call consoles/video games when they're mentioned in a conversation. What piqued my interest concerning this curious nomenclature case has to do with what I recently experienced.

speech-bubble-dots-outline-128.png

A friend of mine would always mention his favorite childhood console as "Atari" and as hard as I tried, I could never know which Atari he was actually talking about. He couldn’t identify any of the Atari consoles in pictures that I would show him, nor could he find his childhood console in a retro video game shop we visited. I tried to explain that maybe he was mistaken about the console name but being as obstinate as always, he maintained what he said. He would further add that his favorite game was Aladdin and went on talking about how he lost his copy. So I dismissed this story as another one of his numerous elaborate fiction...

Later, another friend who’s from the same country as my “Atari-friend” came over for a visit and was looking into retro video games. When I showed her Super Mario Bros. she started talking about how she would be playing this for hours on on her Atari. Yes. That’s what she said. Atari. Well, unless any Atari could emulate the NES, there was something terribly wrong here...

retro-question-block.png

After an inquisition with those two “Atari" owners, I figured that what they owned in their childhood was actually an NES, or more likely a clone since my friend broke several of his. And, for some obscure reason, they would all call it as an Atari. But I was not so surprised. In fact, I could relate! Back in my childhood, we had similar clones which we would call Family Game and that was the term we would use when talking about consoles/video games until we got old enough to differentiate Nintendo from Sega. Others would even generalize everything as a Nintendo.

Exclamation-point-300x180.jpg

I don’t know if you can relate to a similar story but I would be very much interested to hear about it if you do! So how did/do you call your consoles/video games, or anything else really, other than by its original name? There’s no convention for that and that’s what makes it all the more interesting!

You might have come across the above quote while adventuring into one of your literature class but it’s somewhat relevant here. No matter how you call consoles/video games, they are what they are. Giving them nicknames shows our affection to the medium, how much it matters to us. They never cease to amaze us.

P

pasc

Well...
I some times call my G3 "iPhone'...

Probably, cause I was Apple User for 7 years.

Oh and I wish I could call every handheld GBA.

Cause it rules.

Reactions: Prans

Prans

Geek, gamer, human
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Well...
I some times call my G3 "iPhone'...

Oh and I wish I could call every handheld GBA.

Cause it rules.
Wow first time I read about someone calling an Android phone an iPhone. Eventually you'll get used to using the proper term :)

GuyInDogSuit

Your friendly neighborhood guy in a dog suit.
Trophies
Website
www.sniffglueworshipsatan.com
XP
Country
United States
we call our nes 'family computer', and every other clones as such. my non gaming friends calls every handheld either a nintendo or a psp.

Ironic, because the original name for the NES in Japan was "Family Computer" or Famicom for short. Even the SNES was the Super Famicom.

I've never heard any of my friends or family referring to a system by another name. Even my mom and dad knew the differences. I've been gaming since the early Apple II days. First home console we owned was the Atari 2600, then the NES. They referred to them as "the Atari" or "the Nintendo." My family was never big on the SEGA systems, though oddly enough, we went from the NES to SNES, to PlayStation and on. My mom still plays her old top-loading NES, which is funny, because even though she LOVES the original Legend of Zelda (never played 2, though she bought it for us back in 1987), Super Mario 1-3, and Tetris and Dr. Mario, she's seen the SNES versions, and was not interested at all. She didn't like the amount of buttons. Which is odd, she owned both the arcade stick and turbo pad, both which had four face buttons. She played some of the Gameboy Mario games before, but always went back to Tetris. My dad would play other systems, though he was never a big gamer. He liked Road Rash on the Genesis, and his favorite genre was sports games. I remember playing Madden or NHL on the SNES with him. Good times. Miss my dad. Almost been 10 years since he passed.

Well...
I sometimes call my G3 "iPhone'...

Blasphemer! Do NOT confuse the awesomeness that is Android with the dumb OS of an iPhone. :P

Last edited by GuyInDogSuit,
Reactions: Prans

Prans

Geek, gamer, human
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Ironic, because the original name for the NES in Japan was "Family Computer" or Famicom for short. Even the SNES was the Super Famicom.

I've never heard any of my friends or family referring to a system by another name. Even my mom and dad knew the differences. I've been gaming since the early Apple II days. First home console we owned was the Atari 2600, then the NES. They referred to them as "the Atari" or "the Nintendo." My family was never big on the SEGA systems, though oddly enough, we went from the NES to SNES, to PlayStation and on. My mom still plays her old top-loading NES, which is funny, because even though she LOVES the original Legend of Zelda (never played 2, though she bought it for us back in 1987), Super Mario 1-3, and Tetris and Dr. Mario, she's seen the SNES versions, and was not interested at all. She didn't like the amount of buttons. Which is odd, she owned both the arcade stick and turbo pad, both which had four face buttons. She played some of the Gameboy Mario games before, but always went back to Tetris. My dad would play other systems, though he was never a big gamer. He liked Road Rash on the Genesis, and his favorite genre was sports games. I remember playing Madden or NHL on the SNES with him. Good times. Miss my dad. Almost been 10 years since he passed.

Blasphemer! Do NOT confuse the awesomeness that is Android with the dumb OS of an iPhone. :P
Thanks for sharing how the naming goes on in your family! Seems like the gamer blood runs in your family too! :)

Reactions: GuyInDogSuit

dogmarch

Potato Warrior - Anti Zombie
Trophies
XP
Country

tbh, I really only knew the nes/snes as famicom/super famicom and only realized they were one and the same when I really got into gaming when I bought my ds.
The thing is, the name Nintendo didn't really get around until the gameboy was released.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence - +1