What’s In A Name?

Wait! Fear not! I am not going to bore you with a literature piece but I’m about to discuss about naming relating to video games.

Whats-In-A-Name.png

Rather than delving into the deceptively hard process of naming a video game, I’m more interested in knowing how you call your console/video game. Well, I don’t mean to say that you converse with your console or game, which is actually okay if you do, but what I really mean is how you call consoles/video games when they're mentioned in a conversation. What piqued my interest concerning this curious nomenclature case has to do with what I recently experienced.

speech-bubble-dots-outline-128.png

A friend of mine would always mention his favorite childhood console as "Atari" and as hard as I tried, I could never know which Atari he was actually talking about. He couldn’t identify any of the Atari consoles in pictures that I would show him, nor could he find his childhood console in a retro video game shop we visited. I tried to explain that maybe he was mistaken about the console name but being as obstinate as always, he maintained what he said. He would further add that his favorite game was Aladdin and went on talking about how he lost his copy. So I dismissed this story as another one of his numerous elaborate fiction...

Later, another friend who’s from the same country as my “Atari-friend” came over for a visit and was looking into retro video games. When I showed her Super Mario Bros. she started talking about how she would be playing this for hours on on her Atari. Yes. That’s what she said. Atari. Well, unless any Atari could emulate the NES, there was something terribly wrong here...

retro-question-block.png

After an inquisition with those two “Atari" owners, I figured that what they owned in their childhood was actually an NES, or more likely a clone since my friend broke several of his. And, for some obscure reason, they would all call it as an Atari. But I was not so surprised. In fact, I could relate! Back in my childhood, we had similar clones which we would call Family Game and that was the term we would use when talking about consoles/video games until we got old enough to differentiate Nintendo from Sega. Others would even generalize everything as a Nintendo.

Exclamation-point-300x180.jpg

I don’t know if you can relate to a similar story but I would be very much interested to hear about it if you do! So how did/do you call your consoles/video games, or anything else really, other than by its original name? There’s no convention for that and that’s what makes it all the more interesting!

You might have come across the above quote while adventuring into one of your literature class but it’s somewhat relevant here. No matter how you call consoles/video games, they are what they are. Giving them nicknames shows our affection to the medium, how much it matters to us. They never cease to amaze us.

aljpn91

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
your friends must have played occasionally, but never really cared about videogames/gaming to begin with
to actually learn more about the systems they owned, otherwise they would have known better

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Before the PSX was hot here everyone was playing the "Sega". Yellow keyboard with 2 controllers and 2 guns. In the upper middle part of it was the slot for the cartridges which every one had over 100 games(more like 20ish with copy paste of the same). The games it had were Tanks,Circus Guy,Mickey Mouse, The Olympics and others, that's how we called the games at least but actually all of those games were clones from the NES. Same look same gameplay, some looked different but they were 100% clones of the NES "versions". With it, i experienced "gameplay" footage for the first time in my life. Somehow for w/e reason i could see my neighbor playing the Sega even thou he's not at my house.(Streaming with analogue signals??) It felt pretty dope back then(It still doesn't because idk how it got streamed lol).

Last edited by GamerzHell9137,
Reactions: Prans

TamDanny

GBATemp 3DS Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Here in Mexico, anything related to Nintendo is basically called a "Nintendo" (in Spanish, obviously). Whether it's the Wii U or the DSi, I've heard people call it countless times a "Nintendo". And the Playstation 4 is basically called a "Play". This kind of habit is a bit too common, actually. For example, almost everybody I know who owns a Samsung Galaxy phone simply call it an "Android". Heck, it's not weird to ask if a phone had a touchscreen by asking if it was "touch".
But I'm getting a bit off-topic there. Personally, I say the name of the console by what their called, maybe shorten the name sometimes, like saying my New Nintendo 3DS XL is just my 3DS. Although, a lot of people in my country tend to use the common word to simplify its name.

D

Deleted User

My cousin used to (a fucking long time ago) refer to the N64 as the [nah-ten-doh] and I used to call my XBOX 360 "the XBOX" because it was shorter and easier for non-gamers to comprehend.

Last edited by ,

Prans

Geek, gamer, human
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
@aljpn91 my friends were like 5 or younger when they had their "Atari" and I believe that they didn't bother at that age to know about its proper name. As long as it gave them the entertainment they were looking for. And they most likely lost interest in the console altogether as they grew to bother about its name.

_____________________​

@GamerzHell9137 I can totally relate to your story! I was first exposed to video games via such clones as well. I remember that my favorite game to play with my cousins was Mortal Kombat!

dogmarch

Potato Warrior - Anti Zombie
Trophies
XP
Country
we call our nes 'family computer', and every other clones as such. my non gaming friends calls every handheld either a nintendo or a psp.

Prans

Geek, gamer, human
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
we call our nes 'family computer', and every other clones as such. my non gaming friends calls every handheld either a nintendo or a psp.
Oh wow! That's similar to the way it used to be called in my childhood! I believe that the clones were actually called "Family Game" an since they were more affordable than the actual NES, this name caught on.

Reactions: zoogie

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think we ever changed the name of consoles too much, except for shortening the Nintendo 64 to just "64", but I remember we all called TLoZ: OoT just "Ocarina", mostly because most of us couldn't pronounce the full name (Spanish speakers). And the Smash Bros games are always just "Smash".

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Most of my friends were quite invested in this game lark so proper names.
Parents would usually know or call it by the brand at worst, use something generic like computer game console or actually know as well, even if they did not care. That said where it was mostly the Sega and Nintendo show in the US there were a bunch of competing things around here (the Amiga being second only to things that made it to DOS for a large number of games -- http://retro-sanctuary.com/Comparisons Main.html ) and there was not really much of a game crash here so it

I did hear sega playstation later on in life.
When floating around the US I heard consoles referred to as Nintendo a few times, it struck me as odd.

If I might pull focus as well what have people noticed with regards to things have different names in Europe/UK and the US? It is fairly well covered in films and books, music slightly less so but there are some great examples there too, but I rarely see it covered in games outside of Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy, Soleil/Crusader of the Centy and Final Fantasy numbers if you want to go into Japan to English differences. Wikipedia I know but https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...in_the_United_Kingdom_and_United_States#Games

Prans

Geek, gamer, human
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
I don't think we ever changed the name of consoles too much, except for shortening the Nintendo 64 to just "64", but I remember we all called TLoZ: OoT just "Ocarina", mostly because most of us couldn't pronounce the full name (Spanish speakers). And the Smash Bros games are always just "Smash".
I'm curious about how it sounded when you wanted to call your friends over for a round of SSB... "Hey, let's Smash after class?" Sounds cool... or nasty?

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm curious about how it sounded when you wanted to call your friends over for a round of SSB... "Hey, let's Smash after class?" Sounds cool... or nasty?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: