wfsdump - PC util for dumping WFS devices (WiiU File System)

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by EyeKey, Jul 23, 2017.

1. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    wfsdump and wfs-fuse built with no errors/warnings now. I'm currently copying a mlc dump from an SD card to see if they work.

2. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    @EyeKey wfsdump works here on an mlc image and usb drive. wfs-fuse, not so much; it "mounts" but I can't browse it or anything(tested with mlc image and usb drive).
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    hope I'm just missing something here...

3. huma_dawii

huma_dawii GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Florida
    Thank you!! :D

4. EyeKey
    OP

EyeKey GBAtemp Regular

Feb 10, 2017
    Israel
    Try to git pull and recompile, and than add the argument "-o default_permissions,allow_other"

Last edited by EyeKey, Jul 27, 2017
  5. wiiupoo

wiiupoo Member

Newcomer
    Jul 25, 2016
    United States
    EyeKey, what the hell. Do you even sleep?

How did you get so much done in a week?!? Please tell me you have been working on this for quite some time and just recently uploaded the project.

Is it that your code just ALWAYS compiles and then proceeds to work without bugs. Do you have lots of experience in designing file systems. This is ridiculous progress.

6. piratesephiroth

piratesephiroth I wish I could read

Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    Yeah I wonder if WFS is based on some other file system.

7. EyeKey
    OP

EyeKey GBAtemp Regular

Feb 10, 2017
    Israel
    Ha, No I don't sleep :(

No, I didn't start to work on it a week ago. I started to work on it few months ago. The hard part (and time consuming part) was the reversing, since it is totally undocumented and proprietary file system (and isn't based on anything that I know of..). It took me a month of most of my free time (which sadly isn't a lot of time with full time job). It was quite intense reversing. After that I had all the knowledge that I need to program it.

For the programming itself, it is a small project (~2000-3000 lines of code), doesn't take a lot of time to program. I started it after the reversing but got lazy and ditched it for awhile. So I programmed most of it last weekend because I finally wanted to finish it....

I don't have experience specifically with file systems but I do have a lot of experience with reversing and programming stuffs (well and some of them were game archives, which do have some similarity to a file system, but have less complex data structures and are simpler to understand)

Last edited by EyeKey, Jul 28, 2017
    Pachee, julialy, Valery0p and 4 others like this.
  8. wiiupoo

wiiupoo Member

Newcomer
    Jul 25, 2016
    United States
    Been there, done that!

In addition, after getting an more solid idea on how something works, I have a bug in my code where I implement modifications to the reversed software and the changes end up not applying properly. At this point, instead of doubting my code, I spend more time re-evaluating my work so far, drawing diagrams, scratching my head. Eventually by dumb luck, I will find my mistake...about a week later at minimum.

Or the moments when something is working, you make a small change, nothing is working, but you don't have a backup of the working copy.

That's why I was gonna go nuts if you were able to work 1000x faster than me, ya damn wizard.

Glad to have a talented dev in this wiiu community. Thanks

Last edited by wiiupoo, Jul 28, 2017
  9. PokeAcer

PokeAcer Banned

Banned
    May 28, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Wales
    Would this also work for SLC aswell as MLC? :3

10. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
  11. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    doesn't seem to quite work. can't browse without root (in /mnt: "ls: wiiuusb: Input/output error"), but when I enter the folder with root it's empty. done with an mlc image. I'm wondering if it's a FUSE problem on my setup.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

updated osxfuse to 3.6.3, re-built wfslib and was-fuse, nothing.

Last edited by ihaveamac, Jul 28, 2017
  12. EyeKey
    OP

EyeKey GBAtemp Regular

Feb 10, 2017
    Israel
    The most fun part :)

And I don't know, it just doesn't happen to me. I mean I do have bugs when I develop, most of them are things that you fix in a moment on the first run, some other take few minutes, but in worst case I debug the hell out of them and fix them in few hours, the most important thing is not to give up until you find the fucking issue.
    I once worked 2-4 weeks straight (about 100% of that time), on totally refactoring a 15000-20000 lines project of mine (programming it again from scratch with much better code design). I couldn't even compile it until it was about 80% done. That was fun time :)

Last edited by EyeKey, Jul 28, 2017
    Kafluke likes this.
  13. EyeKey
    OP

EyeKey GBAtemp Regular

Feb 10, 2017
    Israel
    Ok, it is known issue on mac. run this and recompile:
    Code:
    perl -p -i -e 's/-lfuse /-lfuse_ino64 /g' wfs-fuse/Makefile
    I tested and it works on mac now

14. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    it works for me too. thanks for figuring this out and your work on WFS :)

oh by the way, I don't think you need to install git from brew. Xcode should just come with it, unless i'm wrong?

Last edited by ihaveamac, Jul 28, 2017
  15. pudink

pudink Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 24, 2013
    When I click exe , it doesn't work. even with admin priviliges a window pops out and disappears in a quick flash
    I am not very good a command line, should I start it with command line?
    If someone could give me a noob guide or a user interface that would save my life.
    I need to get my saves from my drive which was rendered unreadable after I formatted my console which changed the usb drive key.

16. piratesephiroth

Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    yeah, you need to launch a command prompt with admin privileges. You can do that from Windows Explorer. Just enter the folder where you put the executable, otp.bin and seeprom. bin then open the"File" menu in Windows explorer to do that.
    upload_2017-8-10_13-56-56.png

Then you determine evertyhing and type in the command.

I used powershell and discovered that my USB drive is \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE2.
    My OTP dump is called otp.bin.
    My SEEPROM dump is called seeprom.bin.
    I want to dump the files in a folder called "dump"

So this is what I typed in:
    wfsdump --input \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE2 --otp otp.bin --seeprom seeprom.bin --output dump

Attached Files:

pudink likes this.
  17. pudink

pudink Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 24, 2013
    Thank you, will be trying this in an hour and report back.

and should I put the seeprom that has been modified with hex editor ( the number of usb key seed decreased) or the one I took after I formatted the wii u.

18. piratesephiroth

Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    The modified one.

pudink likes this.
  19. pudink

pudink Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 24, 2013
    thanks mate, i have recovered the 'save' folder altogether, i will reinstall the games and inject the save files .

can I just use savemii or saveiine to inject this folder that I have?

thanks a million, to all the devs and programmers and you my friend , you helped me a lot. Answered all my questions that meant a lot to me

20. Corredor

Corredor GBAtemp Regular

Sep 16, 2016
    Brazil
    Yes, you can. First inject the saves, then reinstall the games (move the save files to USB first, using the Data Manager, if the games will be installed on USB).

Enviado de meu 6039J usando Tapatalk