Hacking Well...I just bricked...r4i deluxe

foxtrot08

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the past couple of days people been have been encountering the brick, and I just became a victim today...

Steps...

1. Played last night and closed the 3ds to sleep it
2. Several hours later, open it and game was frozen
3. Held down power button to turn off and restart
4. Booted to regular nand normally
5. Went to 3ds Profile to boot into emunand
6. White lines came up and screen froze (before, it has never had white lines, just black screen)
7. Held down power button to turn back off
8. Turn back on and BSOD (Bootrom Error 8046)

Does anyone know if restoring nand via Hardware works to fix this? If it does, does anyone know anyone who can do soldering work and is trusted? Im willing to pay.

Mr_Pichu

かわいいね!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know if restoring nand via Hardware works to fix this? If it does, does anyone know anyone who can do soldering work and is trusted? Im willing to pay.

The best thing to do is wait till a fix is made publicly available. Odds are the fix will need to be done at the hardware level because Nintendo really locked the 3DS down.

JonnyMohawk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just out of curiosity did not read about the bricks until it happened to you?

If you knew about it previously I can't imagine why you wouldn't have switched to a safe firmware version.

I hope a method is released to fix the bricked consoles, condolences.

juins

Trophies
XP
Country
Its scary how many times my 3ds locked down on a black screen trying to get it out of sleep mode for me, and everything was still good after resetting it.

Although this was like 1 week before the bricks started appearing, This only happened to me while using emunand tho.

I believe bricking only happens while using emunand, although i dont have the balls to verify it. Using 3.2 w/o emunand my 3ds was the most stable it has ever been. Sorry for your loss.

EDIT: not LOSS, sorry, just give it time. Some way to recover it is bound to happen in the future.

R4iFanboi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sad....

I feel really lucky. I was playing TLoZ: ALBWs but after reaching the first...

Lorule Save Point

I didn't play for a while and didn't turn ON my 3DS for almost the whole of January. It was running 3.2

As soon as this news broke out, I backed up a whole image of the SD card (included 7.1 reNAND), and formatted the SD card.... Turned on the 3DS to find that everything is alright and haven't used it since. The R4i is ejected and kept separately.

Going to be staying away from 3DS scene for a while until this dust settles.

aireca

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In a note for everybody else, when your 3DS crash, you need to reapply the Hack, that's mandatory. Don't just go to the profile and run again emunand, you need to reapply the hack first.

corim123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In a note for everybody else, when your 3DS crash, you need to reapply the Hack, that's mandatory. Don't just go to the profile and run again emunand, you need to reapply the hack first.
Not necessarily true. Going through the profile reinstates the exploit. Only reason to actually reinstall anything is if you play a DS game and clear out the MSET.

aireca

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to reinstall the hack when the 3DS crashes (when you need to mantain the power button because the 3DS doesn't respond), what happen here is that it was corrupt. It takes one minute, don't be lazy. Have happened to me before that the flashcart writes 0 bites files and i need to check the SD for corruption, so that's why you should reinstall the hack, what i mean is recopy the launcher.dat and rerun the DS profile Exploit.

Not necessarily will always get corrupted, but the thing is waste 1 minute reinstalling or have a brick.

foxtrot08

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to reinstall the hack when the 3DS crashes (when you need to mantain the power button because the 3DS doesn't respond), what happen here is that it was corrupt. It takes one minute, don't be lazy. Have happened to me before that the flashcart writes 0 bites files and i need to check the SD for corruption, so that's why you should reinstall the hack, what i mean is recopy the launcher.dat and rerun the DS profile Exploit.

Not necessarily will always get corrupted, but the thing is waste 1 minute reinstalling or have a brick.

If this what happened because of me and not really the firmware at fault, can i fix it by restoring nand? Or is it all the same and i cant fix it?

I already backup my nand before this happened, so would it be possible to send the 3ds in to nintendo and get a replacement and then restore nand via hardware/soldering? (Provided Nintendo DOES send a replacement that is NOT of firmware 4.5 and below.)

aXXo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't use clones, just don't
Even legitimate Gateway users (albeit, very few compared to clones) have managed to get a brick using official firmware. The best thing for even Gateway users would be to use the 2.01b firmware, since it doesn't have the bricking code.

Gerbilly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If this what happened because of me and not really the firmware at fault, can i fix it by restoring nand? Or is it all the same and i cant fix it?

I already backup my nand before this happened, so would it be possible to send the 3ds in to nintendo and get a replacement and then restore nand via hardware/soldering? (Provided Nintendo DOES send a replacement that is NOT of firmware 4.5 and below.)
Unfortunately there are keys within the nand backup, making it not useable on another console - otherwise everyone could just reflash to version 4.5 or below.

TinyBilbo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...The best thing for even Gateway users would be to use the 2.01b firmware, since it doesn't have the bricking code.

If I drop back to firmware 2.01b, will my EmuNand still work correctly (i.e the saves) or will I have to create a fresh EmuNand?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Tandem even
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released