Weirdest Operating System You have ever Encountered?

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Plan 9, Inferno OS, and Hanna Montana Linux, as well a more interesting, but unique distro known as Hybryde Linux. Hybryde Linux was unique, in that your could switch between multiple desktop environments on the fly, so you didn't have to log out, then log back in to use them. It was weird in that as soon as it came out, they just stopped supporting it, making it one of those proof of concept distros that really left an impression, but never went far.

Of course there's also the mountains of religious themed distros out there. Most of which weren't very interesting, but there was Ubuntu Satanic Edition, which was just awful. It looked like something a 13 year would make well trying to be "edgy" and "dark." It used cliché titles like, "666 Edition," and filled the distro with stolen art and copyrighted music. Not to mention the awful the color pallet they used, which was a gross mix of black and red, again something a 13 year old would think is "dark" and "Satanic." All around, I am pretty sure the OS was made by a teen or someone trying way too hard to be "edgy."

Last edited by The Catboy,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I did have to fix a mac the other day. Disgusting behaviours observed in that one.

If I can include the various embedded operating systems then I will be here all day.

I have used a variety of DOS implementations, in the end though it is pretty much still DOS. I quite liked IBM PC DOS though.

Amiga workbench has to be mentioned, it is not especially odd by the standards of the day but it would form a nice start into "when I were a lad" territory without getting crazy.

Likewise if you want to get stumped then have a look at some of the non linux, non BSD unix implementations/POSIX compliant or things popular in similar timeframes. Things like VMS, CP/M, RISC OS and a bit further forward in time I guess you have SunOS (what came before Solaris).
Most of them I have only seen inside emulators/virtual machines I have got running and I mainly did that so I have a slight chance of making something happen ( https://xkcd.com/627/ does fall a bit short) if I get put in front of one. For most computing purposes I would not expect to see one outside a museum but I could well see one in some piece of industrial machinery -- 40 years is nothing unusual for industrial machinery and more mainframe/server grade or embedded operating systems (or possibly real time stuff if I am really unlucky one day). See also things like http://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...a16010/30-year-old-computer-runs-school-heat/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Gonna love it when the next update blocks them