Weird SD Card Slot Problem

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Cadeyrn, Dec 22, 2012.

Dec 22, 2012
    • Newcomer

Cadeyrn New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    This morning, after playing my hacked 4.2U Wii (HBC 1.08) a bunch this week, I booted it up to find that my Wii couldn't recognize my SD card anymore. BootMii didn't load and none of my hacked app channels were loading, either, and when I clicked on the SD icon it said there was no card in the slot. I tried 2 other cards, one brand new 8GB SanDisk with whatever the highest class is right now (I think 10), and one older blue 8GB Transcend that came with a DSLR camera. Of those three (the blue one, the new one, and my 2GB white Wii SanDisk card), only the blue one could be recognized by my Wii, and I tested it all multiple times to eliminate any flukes.

Finally, I tried unplugging the USB hard drive that was plugged into my Wii this entire time, and suddenly it could recognize all of my SD cards just fine. BootMii loaded and everything, even after plugging the USB hard drive back in. However, if I try to access my Wii SD card through the icon, the Wii crashes saying the system files are corrupt. Despite this, the SD card and its files are 100% intact and I've been use the apps I have installed on it to even play Skyward Sword via the USB loader. I can only conclude there's some kind of software issue with the SD card reader that doesn't affect anything related to Homebrew, one that popped up randomly one morning literally out of nowhere and might have something to do with USB hard drives.

As it stands, this problem isn't affecting me at all, and if the SD card reader does actually die I can just transfer all of the card's files to the USB hard drive, but I still want to find out what's going on.
    Last edited by Cadeyrn, Dec 22, 2012

PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Message Count:
    Germany
    Your usb drive isn't by any chance usb powered?
    If it is I say it's caused by a power issue.
    The thing dying would then probably be the voltage converters in the wii.

I don't think "system files are corrupt" means the files on the SD card.
    Files in the Wiis nand more likely.

Sounds like you got bootmii@boot2?
    Then make a backup and after that try restoring an old one or reinstall sysmenu
    Last edited by PsyBlade, Dec 23, 2012
    • Newcomer

Cadeyrn New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    The drive plugs into the wall and my Wii isn't missing a single save file or channel, nor does it act up when I constantly overwrite the Skyward Sword save, but good idea, I should go back it up.

Update: the backup ran just fine, and in fact reported 0 bad blocks--all green. Is that weird, considering that the first time I ran a backup years ago it reported 3 or 4 bad blocks?

I'd rather not risk restoring it. While I would like to see where this rabbit hole goes, if there really is something wrong with my Wii that would affect a NAND restore, attempting one could brick it or at least destroy my ability to use it as-is, hacked apps and all. The way it is now, it's as if nothing's wrong unless I try to read the card from the system menu.
    Last edited by Cadeyrn, Dec 23, 2012