Hacking Wasabi!!! Greatest thing since sliced bread?

mikesnickname

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hey,

Was just interested if anyone has gotten ahold of and installed a wasabi chip yet? I see that Ozmodchips.com has them in stock and canadamods.ca has already sold out!!

I want to know how you guys feel about this chip and most important (to me at least) the future support of it. Does anyone know any history of the company??

And if anyone does install the chip, please elaborate on the difficulty of install.

Thanks, and happy modding!!
biggrin.gif

Mike.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I have really high hopes on this chip actually.
It will be a blast of this is really working for D2A to D2C without any hassle.

2cb2ct7

Trophies
XP
Country
Look great!! Thanks for the post...

Finally; a simpler (and therefore cheaper installation) solution for D2C chips. My mate just forked out AU$220 to have the D2Pro installed. I'd be stoked if this becomes the new D2C chip standard... Presumably installation costs are less (5-9 wires vs 4 000
wink.gif
)

mikesnickname

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The number of wires is nice, but the huge selling feature to me is the upgradability via dvd disc. I've been looking at the argon chip over the past week, but it seems like a pain to update. Do you think that this feature will make it easier for nintendo to detect the mod?

OzModChips

Trophies
XP
Country
1.The team is new.
2. its easy to install
3. It works as advertised
4. $220 aud is crazy for an install - we do it for D2c mods for $165
5. Yes, it will probably be easier to detect, like all d2b mods using the serial port.
6. $60aud is a good price considering is costs us more than Argon/D2pro to get!

mikesnickname

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
@ Ozmodchips - Thank you, very informative.

I'm curious about your opinion as you seem to be an expert. What d2c chip would you choose?

@ The claw - Ozmod ships international.

He seems to be supporting the product and forum so I think we should support him.

Marticuno

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Oh I'm sorry about complaining for the price, I thought it was Euros. I've been shopping too much on the internet lately, sorry OzMod.

OzModChips

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, just add 10 to your cart for the 10 pack. They are all going to sell out before we get to add the 10 packs with free ems on the website. Price will pretty much be the same anyway.

I'm not really an expert, I'm much like the consumer.

I wrote something on the product page about the wasabi not being upgradable 100%....which i know found out is not true.

This an unedited quote directly from the wasabi team tonight. They do seem like a great bunch of people so far

QUOTE said:
Wasabi is as fully programmable as the most fully programmable of the DMS/D2B chips. Let's take Wiikey for example. Nobody would argue saying that "just bits" could be programmed on Wiikey. Yet it doesn't have JTAG so you can't convert it from an ATmega to a PIC for example (that what JTAG programming would be used for if Wiikey was FPGA based). It's a microcontroller, and only its flash could be programmed. The flash of the wiikey is small (around 4KB) and stored in the microcontroller itself. It contains the program that sends the drivecode to the drive, and the drivecode itself.

Regarding Wasabi, we're exactly in the same situation: The FPGA contains a custom microcontroller, that processes flash data, and the flash stores all the information needed to send drivecode to the drive, and the whole drivecode itself. The whole flash could be reflashed, that means that 100% of the drivecode could be flashed, and even the way the code is uploaded could be changed. And we have 100% firmware control over the drive (much more control than any other d2c chip that use hardware patching).

That's the benefit of using software (vs. hardware) patching, no need to change the inner working of the microcontroller or FPGA to be fully upgradable.

The drawback is that in both cases (wiikey and wasabi), there's no way to turn the chip into a PS2 mod for example, because there's no JTAG programming. But we're selling a Wii mod, so that's irrelevent.

The modchip scene is fairly biased in certain places. You would all know that places like maxconsole will never really say anything good about something that isn't been sold by divineo. A lot of places will bag Argon, when its current firmware makes the modchip bug free. I think a lot of installers will badmouth this chip for no good reason. There is more money for me to make if I install a d2ckey/d2pro/argon in a wii - as it takes me longer to do. I can't justify charging people the same thing for a Wasabi install because to me is a walk in the park. So expect a lot of installers to keep away from it. Some installers havent even tried d2pro/argon yet!

Which modchip would i install right now?
Its hard to say.

- Still need to test the modchip out a little more, but tests so far indicated its fine
- I know the modchip will be supported, i can just tell by the responsive nature of the team
- I wouldn't be yanking any D2c mods out to put this in...but if you haven't put a wii modchip in your wii - then why not!!!

ModchipCentral

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
We at www.ModchipCentral.com are getting our shipment on Monday. So if you are from USA / Canada, order away as I'm sure we will sell out quick
smile.gif

pianko

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
We are based in Taiwan.

We also have stock of wasabi now.

We are welcome people living in Asia to buy from us.

Please visit www.pianko.net (Chinese Blog)

If you would like to order Argon, D2pro, Wasabi, you can also write mail to me

[email protected]

cool.gif

arsehat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Kiljaeden said:
Ozmodchips, are you going to be trying to get distribution for the Wii Clip? It'd be a perfect compliment for the Wasabi chip.

You know, that's not far away from a completely solderless universal Wii modchip - I wouldn't be surprised to see such a thing on the market in a few months. G, H, I and CLK could be jumpered (not used for DMS/D2A/D2B, used for D2c), and it would be possible to get "F" by running the drive ribbon cable into a connector on this hypothetical modchip's board and a ribbon cable from the board into the connector to the right of point F in the illustration. Sure, it'll increase the complexity (and thus, cost) of the chip somewhat, but a pre-assembled combination has to be more attractive to some users or installers than a Wasabi and Wiiclip combination, or a soldered Wasabi.

Does anyone know what happens if G, H, I and CLK are connected up on DMS/D2A/D2B Wasabi installations? If they simply have no effect on the older chips, that could make for a far simpler univeral solderless chip - no jumpers or DIL switches would mean less fuss.

OzModChips

Trophies
XP
Country
Prices are in AUD
wasabi is 70% sold now.... we have been so busy sending all the orders that where placed last night - this modchip is going to be HUGE, i can feel it.

We researched the wii-clip and are staying away from it. Its not a proper solution. Solder is a proper solution. If a bunch of spanish guys can't make 50% of their products work for 6 pins, what makes you think that a binch of random asians, whose only claim to fame is a clone of d2ckey, can make one work for 30+ connections?

Blown up ICs,
Cusotmers complaining after 1 week, 1 month, 1 year that they have to keep re-adjusting it.....nothing somthing we can hadle.

Its a good idea, but if it was that good don't you think d2ckey/d2pro would have made one? I asked they why not, and they said a proper solution for a clip would cost 100 USD +. These e-cheapo ones will be no good.

Trust me...wait 6 months after they come out and ask everyone what they think

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, I'm good. Thanks.