(Warning)Vita Vpks that Brick your vita are surfacing online! (Warning)

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Abu_Senpai, Oct 1, 2016.

1. CMDreamer

CMDreamer GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2014
    Mexico
    I'm new to the Vita scene, and I'm already reading to learn about it. Had forgotten I had an account here, sorry for that.

If I may ask for, could you please provide SHA1 hashes of the VPK files you have, so I can (somehow) check/compare dumps I might get/have of said games?

Actually (unknown to me) the scene's VPK dumpers (trusted one's), should provide a hash (maybe SHA1) so downloaders can check if the VPK's they have are equal as the one provided by them.

I'm not sure if Vitamin does generate a hash of the dumped VPK file, so I can be sure the VPK is correct when moving between places for backup. Is there a way for me to generate a hash of a cartridge (game data) that would be dumped using Vitamin, so I can check the VPK file after having the dump?

I'm not willing to lose the only Vita I have, so I'd like to be extra cautious. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by CMDreamer, Oct 8, 2016
  2. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    Vitamin dumps games while they are on ram, so even 2 dumps done on the same system will have a different hash due to ASLR.

Unless you download from the exact same source he downloaded from, your hashes won't match.

Abu_Senpai and SonsofOcelot like this.
  3. CMDreamer

CMDreamer GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2014
    Mexico
    Thanks. After reading about ASLR, I can understand why "hashing" would be somewhat useless. But it could provide a way so trusted scene dumpers, would upload APK's and allow users to trust on their dumps, isn't it? Best regards.

4. ManuelKoegler

ManuelKoegler GBAtemp Fan

Nov 5, 2015
    Netherlands
    I honestly have to say, jesus, they're going out of their way to f*ck you over.
    I mean trolling wise, it can be fun to poke a little fun at people sometimes, but there's a little difference between that and straight up destroying someone's property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SonsofOcelot, Abu_Senpai and PokeAcer like this.
  5. Abu_Senpai
    OP

Abu_Senpai The Red King

Jul 13, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Tokyo
    Thats the world we live in these days. As tech gets better the hackers are not too far behind. Some of them are awesome and some are complete assholes who dont deserve the title.

SonsofOcelot and ManuelKoegler like this.
  6. deSSy2724

deSSy2724 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 11, 2015
    Germany
    Can anyoone confirm if the Touch my Katamari (eur) .vpk is safe from the Portal rom site? I checked the vpk with an hex editor and found something with os0 and vs0.

VitaOrganizer 0.5.2 gives me a warning (extended permissions etc) and VPKTool 1.8 says the eboot is not right but at the same time "the vpk seems safe".... so, what I did? I repacked the .vpk with the VPKtool 1.8 and installed it trough VitaOrganizer 0.5.2 and the game works fine.....

I have downloaded numerous 3DS and PS3 titles from that particular site and I had zero problems, now my question is. Is/was the .vpk really suspicious or what?

7. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    use safedump which removes those permissions for vpk's and maidumps and turns the dumps back to safe mode
    https://github.com/MPTSakurada/SafeDump/releases

8. dankzegriefer

dankzegriefer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 19, 2015
    United States
    With an exploit.

9. Metoroid0

Metoroid0 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 2, 2012
    Japan
    SR388
    What does "vitashell + vitamin" actually means? i know vitashell is vita app, file manager like... but what is vitamin, and why "+" And how can i be sure its safe install...is there some brick blocker idk...nand backup like wii?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

How exactly to be "safe" with VPK??

10. SuperDan

SuperDan Im Aware ... Im Unaware

Aug 17, 2016
    United States
    Londoner , Living In Louisiana ...
    wasn't this like a year ago !?~

11. Metoroid0

Metoroid0 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 2, 2012
    Japan
    SR388
    nope, its happening now with me, i just got my vita.

12. Abu_Senpai
    OP

Abu_Senpai The Red King

Jul 13, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Tokyo
    Just use Nonpdrm when backing up your vita games or when downloading them. Dont use MaiDump or Vitamin since they are outdated now.

What is the problem with you anyways? is it a dumped game? or a downloaded one? and what did you use dump it?

Yeah it was, what is the thread bumping rule again?

13. SuperDan

SuperDan Im Aware ... Im Unaware

Aug 17, 2016
    United States
    Londoner , Living In Louisiana ...
    bumping rule ~!?~ nahh i was wondering if it happened again .. if that was dragon quest builder's ( which was a game alot of people wanted at the time ) including me .. i bet alot more people would be hurtin ...........

Really ~!~ You Got Bricked ~!?~