(Warning)Vita Vpks that Brick your vita are surfacing online! (Warning)

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Abu_Senpai, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Abu_Senpai
    OP

Abu_Senpai The Red King

Jul 13, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Tokyo

I feel you man. I too have seen those affected over on Reddit!

But then the ultimate question is this?

Did they deserve it? I myself see two answers to said question

1st Answer= Well, They were pirating so they should have foreseen that there might be risks related to bricking if they are installing random .Vpks from stangers.
    2nd Answer= Despite them pirating vita games, they diddnt deserve to have their vitas bricked permanently!

Regardless of what answer people wanna go with. The reality of the matter is that Yes it happened and it YES could happen again if people aren't careful enough when Downloading/installing .vpks.

I myself believe that the following "Patience is a virtue" should be used whenever a new dump is uploaded on the net.

ov3rkill likes this.

2. ov3rkill

ov3rkill GBAtemp Maniac

May 10, 2009
    Australia
    in a cardboard box
    @Abu_Senpai
    Yeah, I totally agree.

People should be cautious when it comes to piracy. Malwares are all over the scene even in PC, Android, iOS, PSP, 3DS, etc.
    I am just appalled at these developers wasting time developing malicious softwares. Heck, what's worse are those official apps taking your private information.

SonsofOcelot, PokeAcer and Abu_Senpai like this.
  3. einhuman197

einhuman197 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 17, 2015
    Germany
    Inside your bootloader (´◉◞౪◟◉)
    Sounds like the good old CrashMe, I LOVE it :D.

4. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    No, it implies that if you go around installing shit you shouldn't and then you get hit there is no one to blame but yourself for not being careful... Just like downloading infected android apks, just like downloading craked windows or office apps from the internet, just like downloading from torrents... Most people will have no problems, some people will get all kinds of viruses on their PC's.

As I said before I have pirated in the past too and always knew all the risks that it brought when I did.

If you play with fire you may or may not get burned, but when you do you can't go around crying like a lil brat that you did.

Wether or not it happens to you, you have to do it at your own risk from the start, that's not impliying you deserved it.

Go back to reading comprension class ok

SonsofOcelot and Rizzorules like this.
  5. PokeAcer
    This message by PokeAcer has been removed from public view by Veho, Oct 3, 2016, Reason: Drop it.
    Oct 2, 2016
  6. thealgorithm

thealgorithm GBAtemp Regular

Oct 27, 2015
    One question. If the VPK is marked as safe, is there absolutely no way the game/application can still somewhat override this permission and cause a brick? I would assume later on down the line, this type of brick method would get more sophisticated.

7. einhuman197

einhuman197 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 17, 2015
    Germany
    Inside your bootloader (´◉◞౪◟◉)
    When you have the permissions to launch stuff, you can automatically edit the nand. That's how consoles work.
    Both need kernel, you have kernel.

8. Tony_93
    This message by Tony_93 has been removed from public view by Veho, Oct 3, 2016, Reason: Drop it.
    Oct 3, 2016
  9. Alex658

Alex658 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 4, 2010
    Venezuela
    Venezuela
    But this changed in version 11.0, right?
    Some CFW re-enable it but take it for an example, Luma3DS gives you the option whether to re-activate it, or not. As long as that option is disabled users should be safe. Not even sure if arm11 code alone can wipe the firm protections without control of the arm9. But i know that arm9 can blow the firm protections out of the window on any moment, and leave you with a pretty paperweight if it's not hardmodded.

10. thealgorithm

thealgorithm GBAtemp Regular

Oct 27, 2015
    This post was in regards to vita bricking. For the 3DS it should be more secure with A9LH

11. yifan_lu

yifan_lu @yifanlu

Apr 28, 2007
    United States
    No, the 3ds equalivant of "unsafe homebrew" can just as well fuck up your system. Maybe not wipe the nand, but other things can make your device just as unplayable.

12. Aurora Wright

Aurora Wright GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 13, 2006
    Italy
    svcBackdoor was there in kernel11 up to 10.7 though (10.4 FIRM). Nintendo then removed it on 11.0 because it made kernel exploits easier to write and it was unused by official stuff anyway. Cfws re-add it because several homebrews use it and thus break on >= 11.0 (like NTR cfw and emulators). It's not a cfw-only feature.

13. flavio

flavio Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 12, 2015
    Brazil
    acreanus
  14. yifan_lu

yifan_lu @yifanlu

Apr 28, 2007
    United States
    I know I'm just saying that people shouldn't be mistaken that 3ds homebrew cannot harm their system.

15. Pokem

Pokem GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 22, 2016
    United States
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

This is what I found while searching up things regarding this situation.

Haider Raza likes this.
  16. wzzzzt

wzzzzt Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 12, 2016
    United States
    Just to confirm, can I convert dumped VPKs to safe mode without losing any major functionality? I'd like to be able to run games with plugins if possible.

17. Abu_Senpai
    OP

Abu_Senpai The Red King

Jul 13, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Tokyo
    BUMP:

UPDATE 6th October 2016:

This morning, a new bricker was released, masquerading as a homebrew recreation of Duck Hunt. The eboot was again marked unsafe, and was obscured from the checking mechanisms detailed below. The functions used were given dummy names and the os0: string was built while the program was running rather than being present in the file to begin with. The same basic method was used as the two previous methods but the obfuscation meant that just searching in the file wouldn’t show the issue, and the method that MaiDumpTool uses when installing does not detect it or throw an error upon trying to install an unsafe eboot. Currently all I can suggest is using SafeDump to make the eboots safe, this should remove most of the risk, but I stress again do not install things from unknown/new users, or at least wait for confirmation from more trusted members of the community.

Good Luck

PokeAcer and SonsofOcelot like this.
  18. SonsofOcelot

SonsofOcelot Shalashaska

Aug 4, 2016
    Canada
    Kamurocho
    Damn...

Like I just posted in the other thread on this I think I'm gonna just wait on the scene groups to do their thing. I may still try random vpks if they are marked safe but until this settles down I'll go back to my wii and GameCube for a while. I got a bit of a safe backlog to tide me over for a while anyways.

19. Abu_Senpai
    OP

Abu_Senpai The Red King

Jul 13, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Tokyo

Yeah man i feel ya but LUCKILY i have like 35 dumps which all work on vitamin so im kinda preoccupied on them or i will when i beat SMT IV and its unrelated midequel

20. shadowcopalypse

shadowcopalypse Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 6, 2015
    Canada
    Would credibility be found with Nico's blog?

I've not tried any of the vita stuff but everything else works like a charm.

ibid - I'VE NOT TRIED ANY OF THE VITA STUFF.

21. shadowcopalypse

shadowcopalypse Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 6, 2015
    Canada
    So an article over at the above mentioned has VPKShrink listed -- Check the bold text below

VPKShrink is a software that automatically extracts our “[GameID].vpk” files into 2 differet objects:
    -The first is a small “Install-[GameID].vpk” that will be installed with VitaShell and will set the ground for
    -The “[GameID] Folder“. This folder contains the game data and we just have to move it with VitaShell to the correct place.

So, into the actual install we go:

1) Take your “[GameID].vpk” and drop it over VPKShrink, a window will open:
    -Change to Safe Mode? Y > This will make the vpk safe and you won’t risk briks when you install.

Once again I've not tried this but it looks promising.

Last edited by shadowcopalypse, Oct 7, 2016
  22. Haider Raza

Haider Raza Alhumdulillah

GBAtemp Patron
    Haider Raza is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 30, 2016
    Pakistan
    So you suggest us to use maidumps instead of vitamin?

23. Abu_Senpai
    OP

Abu_Senpai The Red King

Jul 13, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Tokyo

I would recomend Vitamin to the People who want to play the following :

Assassin's Creed III: Liberation (G)
    A.W: Phoenix Festa (G)
    Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars (G)
    Criminal Girls 2: Party Favors(G) Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls (G)
    Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax (G) Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth (G)
    Dead or Alive Xtreme 3: Venus (G) Dungeon Travelers 2 (G)
    Freedom Wars (G)
    Gal*Gun: Double Peace (G)
    God of War Collection (G)
    Gravity Rush (G)
    Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 (G)
    Hyperdimension Neptunia: Producing Perfection (G)
    Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed (G)
    Killzone: Mercenary (G)
    Moe Chronicles (G)
    One Piece: Burning Blood
    Persona 4: Golden (G)
    Persona 4: Dancing All Night(G)
    Phantasy Star Nova(G)
    Physco Pass Mandatory Happiness (G)
    Resistance: Burning Skies (G)
    Ray Gigant (G)
    Steins;Gate (G)
    Street Fighter X Tekken (G)
    Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment (G)
    Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters
    Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (G)
    Uncharted: Golden Abyss (G)
    Uta No Prince Sama 3 Music 3 (G)
    Valkyrie Drive: Bhikkhuni (G)
    Yakuza 0 Vita App

(G)= that i own said game

Sorry about the (G) thing its due to the fact that i copied the list from my backlog

But yeah if your ONLY intrested in them then YES i personally would say Vitamin Over MaiDump.

But Mai is what most of the people like so yeah not much i can say tbh