(Warning)Vita Vpks that Brick your vita are surfacing online! (Warning)

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Abu_Senpai, Oct 1, 2016.

1. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tuvalu
    Just stick to scene releases, end of the issue.

2. leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 2, 2013
    Seinegald
    very well put my dude ! i am a proud gamer XD and yes just like you said, hot damn i dont know how many controllers me and my bros smashed by tossing them out of frustration whoever thats lost. (Games like Tekken/Football 'PES' etc.)

sad to see this virus thing, i hope there wont be any more of these virus codes in any dumps :l

and btw. guys, there is this vitaorganizer program, on some of the dumps i downloaded a month ago ,it says unsafe, are these not to be trusted?

the ones i have are mostly Vitamin 1.x/2.x < can Vitamin dumps also be risky ? considering the ones that had the virus code in them were mai dumps?

3. retrofan_k

retrofan_k GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves
    Just low life scum bags that do that kinda stuff. Karma will catch up with them.

4. leonmagnus99

Apr 2, 2013
    Seinegald
    this "OS0:KD and VS0" < can be attacked with any kind of dump i assume .. ? not only with Mai i guess.

and hot damn ,it is said to be 'devastating payload for something so simple.'

we need Henkaku to block this kind of virus, hmmmm someone did mention something like 'Avita Antivirus' maybe something like that would be good too Dx

edit: okay ,checkin in reddit , there is a vita brick tester exe , i guess you only have to drop your vpks in there to test them for malicious codes.

(but someone tried it with the fruit ninja bricker yet it said everything seems ok for him) hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Last edited by leonmagnus99, Oct 2, 2016
  5. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    What if it was Sony themselves who did this? :ph34r:

6. ManuelKoegler

ManuelKoegler GBAtemp Fan

Nov 5, 2015
    Netherlands
    I can imagine Sony laughing about this, but then again also not, after all they gave up of vita anyway, why should they care?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. leonmagnus99

Apr 2, 2013
    Seinegald
    yep this ^ i doubt Sony would be doing this, it were just some low life mofos.

btw. could someone tell us how to check for the specific malicious codes within HxD ? i would check every frikkin dump i have downloaded (i have about 30 dumps)

retrofan_k likes this.
  8. Haider Raza

Haider Raza Alhumdulillah

GBAtemp Patron
    Haider Raza is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 30, 2016
    Pakistan
    This is bad. How do we know the dumps are good?

9. PokeAcer

PokeAcer Banned

Banned
    May 28, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Wales
    Yes you can. Oh no, someone pirated, they deserve to have no chance of buying a game because some fuckwit made a bricking VPK? Nice twisted views you have there.

MAKE THIS A FEATURED POST

10. retrofan_k

retrofan_k GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves
    Anything is possible, yet I doubt it.

11. Count Duckula

Count Duckula .

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Yifan has said quite a few times that this kind of thing *is* blocked, at the installation stage, if you install things via vitashell (as it ties into henkaku's 'safe homebrew' feature).
    You will receive the 'application requests extended permissions' message. You then have the option to stop, or accept the risk if for some reason the homebrew does need the higher level of access (game dumps dont) and you want to proceed.
    If the vpk installs without giving this message, it does not have access to cause the harm these bricking releases did.

https://www.reddit.com/r/VitaPiracy..._warning_there_have_been_two_separate/d8a53a3

Molecule have granted homebrew a hell of a lot of access, and provided the safe homebrew feature as a means of mitigating (possibly eliminating) the risk when that access isn't required.

The bricking releases were mai dumps and mai tool did not perform the same check previously. The changelog for version 2z9 mentions they now do perform a check (hopefully the same as vitashell, but I'm unsure).

Last edited by Count Duckula, Oct 2, 2016
    leonmagnus99 likes this.
  12. leonmagnus99

Apr 2, 2013
    Seinegald
    yep thanks, but hey i split my vpks with vpktool and then i transfer the gameidftp< its the game folder content is in, and the vpk thats been split becomes a small file in size, i usually then just push them in the PsVita/Savedata folder and i transfer it this way with QCMA, works fastest for me to transfer, and if i install ths shrinked vpk will i still get the message in case it is a unsafe vpk ? considering i have the vpk content split?

13. yacepi15

yacepi15 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 15, 2015
    Antarctica
    A troll can trigger the brick code at a exact moment? For example, after killing the final boss or if you lose?

Last edited by yacepi15, Oct 2, 2016
  14. richardrpg

richardrpg Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 2, 2016
    I know nothing about coding , hex editing etc. But I downloaded Ratchet & Clank 1,2 & 3 and I noticed if I extract the contents they were all previously Mai dumps. Now I'm too scared to install them.
    I see that the eboot.bin is set to "02 00 00 00 00 00 00 2F" at offset "0x80" for all 3 games, now what I want to know is, does that make the game 100% safe.
    If for example a virus infected game has the eboot set at "01 00 00 00 00 00 00 2F" at offset "0x80" and I change the "01" to "02" in a hex editor and then save, will that then make the game safe or will that just break the eboot ?

15. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    That's pretty much what vitaorganizer does (as well as deleting duplicate files). It's a lot easier than unpacking/hex'ing/packing every vpk yourself.

Last edited by subcon959, Oct 2, 2016
    richardrpg likes this.
  16. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    I said "use at your own risk", I never said anyone DESERVED it, nice try twisting my words kiddo...

retrofan_k likes this.
  17. PokeAcer

PokeAcer Banned

Banned
    May 28, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Wales
    "Well, let's say you can't cry foul when you been playing dirty yourself..."
    Implies you deserve it..

18. Abu_Senpai
    OP

Abu_Senpai The Red King

Jul 13, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Tokyo
    Last edited by Abu_Senpai, Oct 2, 2016
  19. GamerzHell9137

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    This is why we can't have nice things

Abu_Senpai likes this.
  20. ov3rkill

ov3rkill GBAtemp Maniac

May 10, 2009
    Australia
    in a cardboard box
    Some people want to see the world burn.

This news is really sad. I've seen a lot of victims in reddit because of this release.

Abu_Senpai likes this.