Hacking WARNING - Gateway team bricks card ON PURPOSE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
Im still looking for evidence/facts/experiences/ that Gateway can cause problems for your 3DS.

Noone has said anything (or showed pictures) sustainable to proove this.

And seeing this thread making false claim it do..Is not a good thing to the modding scene.

ESpecially since Gateway is the only crew you guys have to provide homebrew to your 3DS.

post 14 of this thread has some supposed info on two gateway bricks

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Could a moderator or Ryukouki please modify the title and the first page with the new info that clarifies the supposed brick code can't happen using the unmodified Gateway launcher.

Also "bricks 3DS" instead of "bricks card".

Reactions: gamefan5

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My recommendation is to stay away from any such product that has provably included code to damage the hardware it is meant to run on, regardless of their justification. I don't care how well it's coded all it takes is a simple unforeseen circumstance and it damages anyone's hardware randomly - despite mathieulh, myself or anyone else saying 'it should be safe' the simple existence of such code makes the product itself unsafe.

Or, to put it more simply:
Gateway too lazy or inept to come up with a way to disable clone cards... throws tantrum instead and goes godzilla on the hardware (3ds) that made people want a gateway at all in the first place, ensuring mistrust of the product type as well as a financial burden on a possible fan of your work.

Or even more simply:
If they've wasted even one second figuring out how to brick your 3ds on purpose, that is time they have not spent ensuring your 3ds is safe from harm while using their product. Please don't reward people with money for this type of behaviour.

Anyway, have fun - thankfully in my time on DS there was only the one bricker, and it wasn't ever sold as a retail product.

qUaK3R

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Even if the GW did what some are saying they did, who cares? They are making all the work, as long as it's safe to use the exploit and their launcher on the original GW card, they could even make the launcher draw dicks on screen when used in other carts. Also, we are fucking pirates. All of us. Even if you only use it for something else, I've got news for you: You're a pirate. We all are using (or about to use) something that shouldn't be used in the 3DS, so, anyone who purchases and use one of this carts are consciously aware of the risks. Our machines can get bricked. Also, I don't care, if the cloners copied pretty much everything GW did, in our country we have a say that literally translates to "a robber who robs a robber, has 1000 years of pardon", but, if they have that right, why shouldn't the GW team have the right to code some traps on the launcher? As long as it's safe to their consumer base, they can do whatever they want with it. "muahh, but they are bricking peoples machines", NO they are not, the USERS are bricking their own machine, because they know there's always the risk, even more if they know they are purchasing a clone cart. If they don't know it, they shouldn't even be purchasing a flashcart.

People shouldn't also be using custom versions of the launcher because they covet some feature. If they want that feature so bad, ask for it, the developers have showed so far that they want to give what the users are asking for. Just be patient, and they'll add it when they can. Modifying the launcher is always risky, and people should be aware of that, so, to take precautions, they shouldn't even be shared freely.

TL: DR: Because, reasons!

Reactions: dalc789 and minexew

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I guess it's a safety-precausion by Gateway to stop kids stealing their products.

And yes.. the irony with Nintendo .. :)
That's exactly what it is. Breaking (relatively) innocent user's consoles over it is a bit extreme though. Also, it's a shame that the region patch is affected by this as well, as that was not meant to harm Gateway or make a profit in any way.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Some of those are not genuine - and there's been no credible code dump - just primary school psuedo code
They posted primary school pseudo code because GBATemp users, much like the users of any other site of this nature, most likely wouldn't understand a complete code dump. Moreover, it's not their code, so they're not legally allowed to show the dumps in any shape or form anyways.

Reactions: Arras

escherbach

Trophies
XP
Country
They posted primary school pseudo code because GBATemp users, much like on any other site of this nature, most likely wouldn't understand a complete code dump. Moreover, it's not their code, so they're not legally allowed to show the dumps in any shape or form anyways.

Well they could link to some real code - you legal argument is rubbish

somewhereovertherainbow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My recommendation is to stay away from any such product that has provably included code to damage the hardware it is meant to run on, regardless of their justification. I don't care how well it's coded all it takes is a simple unforeseen circumstance and it damages anyone's hardware randomly - despite mathieulh, myself or anyone else saying 'it should be safe' the simple existence of such code makes the product itself unsafe.

Or, to put it more simply:
Gateway too lazy or inept to come up with a way to disable clone cards... throws tantrum instead and goes godzilla on the hardware (3ds) that made people want a gateway at all in the first place, ensuring mistrust of the product type as well as a financial burden on a possible fan of your work.

Or even more simply:
If they've wasted even one second figuring out how to brick your 3ds on purpose, that is time they have not spent ensuring your 3ds is safe from harm while using their product.

Anyway, have fun - thankfully in my time on DS there was only the one bricker, and it wasn't ever sold as a retail product.
well .

I think you're bashing on innocent developers.

Creating such flash cards as Gateway do, requires to make alterations and all this alterations can't be told in the future.

And You should really go into the bottom of this. Its someone who modified Gateways products, and cause them to crash.

Why can't we just use Gateways launcher and stay away from normatt file (w/ hex code changes)?

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could a moderator or Ryukouki please modify the title and the first page with the new info that clarifies the supposed brick code can't happen using the unmodified Gateway launcher.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-flash-kits-and-bricked-nintendo-3ds-reports.360576/

I've sort of already done that. ;) I've consolidated what I do know for right now in the first post on the portal, no bullshit, no conspiracies. As things are still up in the air, I do not think I am allowed to take action (and not here, given my position, as my powers only extend to USN). When more concrete information arrives, I will let you guys know.

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Agree. What gets bricked ? The 3DS or the clone card ?
That makes a big difference.

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
There is NO evidence at ALL that Gateways Launcher causes brick .

The reason to his 3DS being bricked was using unsafe user-created stuff like , normatt file.

You should probably have followed the thread before spamming 5 replies per page in the 2 last pages. The gateway team has evidently done this on purpose to brick clone users' 3DS systems, so yes, it's the gateway launcher that causes the brick... not for original gateway users, but to others who use it. But still causes it nonetheless. It's not a coincidence, it's not a mistake, if you had bad code it doesn't brick your console the way this does, as far as reputable hackers I've read are claiming. Everything we know points at this being an intentional move from GW.

The whole point of why even legit GW users are afraid, is that anything can go wrong, and there might be a very, very, very small chance that your console will brick due to an error. The issue is that the code making the brick happen is there in the first place, so there is always a remote possibility of it happening for legit GW users as well.

I'm not good at programming, but trying to hack a system through an exploit of a system that you have no blueprints of, is not what I'd call "100% safe", ever. So putting brick code into your flashkit launcher is frowned upon by many, regardless of how good the team behind such code is.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
well .

Creating such flash cards as Gateway do, requires to make alterations and all this alterations can't be told in the future.

And You should really go into the bottom of this. Its someone who modified Gateways products, and cause them to crash.

Why can't we just use Gateways launcher and stay away from normatt file (w/ hex code changes)?
Because A. the Gateway doesn't support region free retail yet
B. the Gateway supports piracy, that mod does not, and some hackers care about that
C. the mod does not actually require a Gateway.
At least, all of those are valid reasons to use the modified file.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
well .

they dont want devs to use their code . Cool i agree... Punish the end user for someone elses abuse of thie code ... Really ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.