Hacking WANTED- EZ-Flash III flash cart

MagikGimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all. Like a lot of people I had my portable (DS original) stolen years ago and the flash cart was still in the back. I'm getting back into the Game Boy scene and still have the dock so don't need the whole kit but I've heard that these things are as rare as Birdo eggs so this is a long shot but does anyone have a cart and no dock for it? Maybe you bought a stolen GBA / DS with one at some point or something! I'm crossing my fingers but not holding out on much luck. Thanks anyway.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah they are rare as you like these days. If you can find one then you are doing very well.

Why not buy an EZ4? Other than RTC and if you want cheats you are better off looking at GBAATM ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/gba-auto-trainer-maker-gbaatm.99334/ ), and you still have the cradle/linker so you can always dump games and saves with it. You are also spared having to fight with windows XP to flash the thing.

MagikGimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ah-ha, so I can still use the dock/cradle/linker/whatever it's called; that's very good to know and I was really hoping that was the case. 7 or so years ago I learnt quite a bit about the whole flashcart scene but now I can't remember jack so I appreciate your help. I recognise your avatar from other threads so you obviously know your stuff, in which case I'll ask some follow up questions if you don't mind me:
  1. The EZ IV is the only one GBA-size cart still being sold by EZTEAM, that's why you recommend it. Now you're sure it's the same dock as the one that came with III (and presumably II) or that it's compatible?
  2. RTC is Real-Time Clock right? Why is that important? Or rather, is it that some games came with a clock chip inside them or something and that it can't be emulated by that card (but other cards do have the chip?)
  3. Cheats I may be interested in but I can take them or leave them to be honest. I presume GBAATM is a ROM hack utility where you create a completely new ROM with the cheats built in, yes?
  4. I had no idea the EZ III only worked with XP. Why is that?
OK, that about covers my queries from your reply. This is really stuff that I wouldn't have realised had I just gone ahead and bought a completely new flashcard. Saves me from having to do hours of research and shopping around to choose one. Again your help is very much appreciated FAST but don't worry, I'm not going to nag you on every little detail. I probably will get the EZ IV. I'm looking at their other products and I don't really understand what they are but I'll read up more on those.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1) You might still be able to find a GBA sized 3 in 1 to work with the DS and a DS flash cart, technically it will work on a GBA as well (well all of one game at a time) but it really does want a DS/DS lite to work with. Otherwise yeah it is the only one still made by the EZTeam, and in fact is the only cart still available in shops that is worth purchasing (your other options are mainly old GBA supercards, fire cards and clones thereof and stuff a shop might have found in the back of the warehouse, none of said options a good choices really).
The EZ4 is also a standalone flash cart -- it has a microSD these days (older versions used the quite difficult to find miniSD format) and you patch GBA ROMs however you want (the EZTeam provide EZ4client for this) and transfer them to the ?SD card. You might be able to do something with the linker but 99.9% of EZ4 owners run it standalone.

2) Yeah it is real time clock. As the GBA did not have a clock chip in it (like the DS and most things since) it needed an extra chip to do it. For the most part it only really troubles fans of pokemon, though there are patches so that clock advances during play time. http://gbatemp.net/threads/buying-a-gba-flash-cart-in-2013.341203/page-18#post-4756995 has more on the various trouble games and what can be done to fix them.

3) Yeah GBAATM hardpatches cheats into GBA ROMs, though if you want it does have cheat enable/disable options.

4) Mainly because you need to install drivers and later versions of windows got odd there (signed drivers being required, 64 bit versions of windows...). Virtualbox these days has great USB passthrough support so you can use that instead if you want.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Same thing happened to my Acekard RPG. I still miss it, it was the best card ever.

If you're a fan of out of print flash carts, jimmyemunozz has an Extreme Flash Advance and XG2 listed right now in the trading area. Really nice hardware and good luck ever finding them again.

Reactions: DanTheManMS

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended