Homebrew Want to try out the "sorting" app, but does it sort the folders, the way you want it to?

03bgood

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, to bypass Nintendo's stupid 292 limit without deleting anything, I've decided to move my VC games to my 32GB flash drive and use other ones that store my eShop, Wii, and Wii U games. This is how I want it set it out:

Internal drive - Apps and Wii U game saves only

32GB - NES (94 games), SNES (51 games), N64 (21 games), GBA (72 games), DS (31 games), and TG-16 (7 games, Will move TG-16 games to Wii VC one, once I download my 292nd VC game; currently at 276 games)

64GB - eShop (59 games) and Wii U (5 games)

128GB - Wii VC games (28, soon 29 games)

Can I sort the folders like that, instead of just A-Z or is that not a feature?

We still have no idea how the Switch Virtual Console will be handled?

Last edited by 03bgood,

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I sort the folders like that, instead of just A-Z or is that not a feature?
No, it's not a feature. Also, keep in mind that when you change drives, everything that isn't on both drives comes out of its folder, so it doesn't really matter if you had them in their own folders.

03bgood

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it's not a feature. Also, keep in mind that when you change drives, everything that isn't on both drives comes out of its folder, so it doesn't really matter if you had them in their own folders.
So how do I go about doing this without those issues? I mean I can't have all my games (NES, SNES, N64, GBA, DS, TG-16, Wii, Wii U, and eShop) games on the same drive because Nintendo is too lazy to program the home menu to hold at least 500 games at once. I want to switch devices, without everything being randomly unsorted to the home menu. Another option would be to not use folders and have the icons like this, similar to the Wii/SD Card Menu on the Wii or in Wii Mode.

Drive #1: NES, SNES, N64, GBA, DS, and TG-16 icons
Drive #2: eShop and Wii U icons
Drive #3: Wii icons

Will those get unsorted as well, if I switch devices? This was never a problem on the Wii and you could have up to 240 VC/WiiWare games per SD card. I wanna do something similar with the Wii U. Also, I have way more eShop games than I did with WiiWare (I only have like 17 or 18 WiiWare games) and I have 59 eShop games. Not to mention; 28 Wii games and 5 Wii U games. I had over 250 VC games (out of the 400+ titles) on the Wii before transferring it over to the Wii U in late 2012 and the Wii U VC is currently at 274 games. The 28 Wii games won't fit because that would make it go up to 302 games and the Wii U can only hold 292 games. The only way around would be to use 2 or 3 external drives and only use the Wii U's internal drive for apps and Wii U game saves.

Last edited by 03bgood,

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So how do I go about doing this without those issues?
Unless you're going to change how the system works, you have to accept its limitations. You've got one layout per user. Make an additional user for each USB drive, don't make any of them the default user, always shut down to change drives, and always choose the same user for the drive you booted up with.

The current user's layout file gets changed based on what exists on the USB drive, so if a particular user always sees the same drive, the layout won't be updated, and icons will stay in their folders.

Note that you might end up on the first user when you exit settings or come back up after a forced power-off, so don't use that user for one of the drives.

You'll have to test to see if adding/deleting titles has any effect on non-current users.

Reactions: pelago

03bgood

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless you're going to change how the system works, you have to accept its limitations. You've got one layout per user. Make an additional user for each USB drive, don't make any of them the default user, always shut down to change drives, and always choose the same user for the drive you booted up with.

The current user's layout file gets changed based on what exists on the USB drive, so if a particular user always sees the same drive, the layout won't be updated, and icons will stay in their folders.

Note that you might end up on the first user when you exit settings or come back up after a forced power-off, so don't use that user for one of the drives.

You'll have to test to see if adding/deleting titles has any effect on non-current users.
So how do I go about doing this? Is it similar to home menu theme layouts on the 3DS?

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So how do I go about doing this?
I don't have a 3DS, but I'm talking about using normal WiiU functions. Add users, make folders, move icons. If you're not familiar with having multiple users on your WiiU, just click your Mii in the upper left of the WiiU Menu and hit Switch Users.

03bgood

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, just created two new users for the Wii games and the eShop and Wii U games. Should I keep my VC games on the internal drive and then just keep the Wii, Wii U, and eShop games on seperate external drives or should all games be on seperete external drives when bypassing Nintendo's abysmal 292 game limit?

The only problem I run into is that the VC and eShop save data is not linked to all users. This worries me about my eShop games. How do I fix this so I don't have to start new files on my eShop games? I can't link my NNID to more than one user, apparently and not having an option to share save data is very stupid of Nintendo.

Also, I think my VC games should be saved on a flash drive and only use the Wii U internal drive for Wii U game saves. Is that a good idea?

Last edited by 03bgood,

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should I keep my VC games on the internal drive and then just keep the Wii, Wii U, and eShop games on seperate external drives or should all games be on seperete external drives when bypassing Nintendo's abysmal 292 game limit?
There's not a preferred way to do it, because not many people would bother trying to do this. Do what you want. Just keep game/update/dlc/save together.
The only problem I run into is that the VC and eShop save data is not linked to all users. This worries me about my eShop games. How do I fix this so I don't have to start new files on my eShop games?
  1. Run the game and create a save under the new ID.
  2. Run ftpiiu_everywhere with your CFW active
  3. Connect from your PC FTP client to the save directory, e.g. /storage_usb/usr/save/00050000/1010ec00/user for Mario Kart 8.
  4. Delete the files within the new ID's save (but not the save directory itself)
  5. FTP the files from from the original ID's save to your PC
  6. FTP them back to the new ID's directory.
Or you could use Saviine to do basically the same thing: (EDITED)
  1. As the original user, dump the title's user save to your PC. (You don't need common)
  2. On your PC, copy the title folder from the dump folder to the inject folder
  3. As the new user, inject the save, selecting only the user save.
Also, I think my VC games should be saved on a flash drive and only use the Wii U internal drive for Wii U game saves. Is that a good idea?
Again, saves go with the game.

Last edited by nexusmtz, , Reason: Fixed Saviine instruction

03bgood

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I use Saviine, right? I'm kinda afraid to move my VC games to USB drive, since using multiple USB devices means there cannot be anything on the internal drive, but Wii U game saves.

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm kinda afraid to move my VC games to USB drive, since using multiple USB devices means there cannot be anything on the internal drive
On internal storage, you'd have whichever games you want to be available no matter which drive is plugged in. Nobody said that you can't have games on internal storage. Naturally, those would count against your 300 for every configuration, but that shouldn't keep you from using it.

03bgood

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On internal storage, you'd have whichever games you want to be available no matter which drive is plugged in. Nobody said that you can't have games on internal storage. Naturally, those would count against your 300 for every configuration, but that shouldn't keep you from using it.
So is there any way to display which games show up on each profile on the internal drive and USB ones since the 300 limit kinda interferes with that. Right now all I have is the VC games on my internal drive, with the folders like this: NES (2) > SNES > N64 > GBA (2) > DS > TG-16. All of my Wii, Wii U, and eShop games are on separate drives. Only 16 "other" games will show up since I have all 276 VC games. The sad part is since I use folders, that's a crapload of empty slots still left, yet that doesn't increase the limit. I have like 8 or 9 folders, one is "Utilities" that has Mii Maker, Wii Mode, Settings, etc. and those folders and then the Wii/Wii U game disc launcher take up only 10 slots. There's still over 300 slots left. So it doesn't make sense why this limit would still be there. You can only make 60 folders, too, so if all slots were taken up and everything was in a folder, you can't take an icon out of a folder, due to no more slots. That would've been easier than only "292" games. I mean I'm trying to divide games into 3 devices. Even without the 300 limit, I'd still have to use more storage devices since the Wii games take up over 2 GB or more, per game. So in order for that to be possible, I'd have to move my VC games to a USB drive or it could be a bit difficult to use other devices since my VC games will only be on there and 16 other games. The whole internal storage should've allowed 292-300 games, while the USB would allowed an additional 292-300 more. That's 584-600 games total and the Wii U could defiantly handle that many games at once on the home menu, unlike the 3DS.

Last edited by 03bgood,

03bgood

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is Saviine necessary? I don't want to lose my Shantae and NES Remix saves. Saviine is easy to use, right? I think my Wii U saves also only use one account. Wii games don't since saved data is stored in Wii Mode.

Last edited by 03bgood,

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So is there any way to display which games show up on each profile on the internal drive and USB ones since the 300 limit kinda interferes with that.
No, nobody has written a tool that lists the titles and folders of a users or users. The information is there, but no developers have felt the need to extract it. The sorter program is the closest you'd get, but the logging in that utility is meant for debugging, not for producing a list. (I think it spits out only the TitleID, not the name.)

Regarding the rest of your comments, there's no benefit to reiterating why you think the limit is bad when what you're saying has no bearing on the reality of how the BaristaAccountSaveFile.dat is laid out. If you look at that file and read the comments in yardape's sorter source, you can see the limits, and you can see why putting icons into folders doesn't raise that limit. Get over it and move on.

03bgood said:
Is Saviine necessary?
I gave you a way to copy the saves with FTP and a way to do it with Saviine. Use whichever you feel is easier for you.

With either method, you'd make all the fresh (start over) saves under the new ID first, but with FTP it makes sense to do the dump and inject for one title before you move to the next, as opposed to the saviine process, which would be to do all the dumps (under the old ID) then all the injects (under the new one.)

I think you're better off using saviine because more people will understand what you're up to, so there's a better chance of them being able to help you. Plus saviine might be doing things more properly than just dumping files into an existing save.

03bgood said:
I think my Wii U saves also only use one account.
Some games do only use the common save, some only use the unique one, and some use both. With FTP you see which use which, and with Saviine, you'll just get an error on the unique save if it can't find it. If that's the case, you obviously don't have to inject anything as the new ID's save for that title. (But you probably already know which games those are, because the progress in the common save would have already been visible under the new ID when you went to create the new save.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.