Want to give up my phone

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by yusuo, Sep 12, 2017.

1. yusuo
    OP

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    I'm seriously considering getting rid of my phone, I feel as if it is a distraction from reality and that without it I'll have a lot more free time to actually invest in hobbies, interests, people.

However I need a device that will atleast allow me to use whatsapp (I speak to people in south africa) and Spotify. Literally need nothing else and don't want anything in else.

Does anyone know of any devices that will allow me to do these things without the rest of the distractions, no Web browser, other apps

2. Yandere-chan

Yandere-chan The One and Only

Nov 11, 2016
    United States
    Hidden in your NAND
    Windows Media Player, purchased CDs, and an MP3 player. :D

3. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
  4. yusuo
    OP

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
  5. THEELEMENTKH

THEELEMENTKH Don't mind me

May 31, 2016
    Spain
    Hell
    Even if you disconnect from your phone you'll realize that 99% of the people in this world are always with their phone on their hands, giving more attention to that machine than the real world

6. yusuo
    OP

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    Irrelevant, this is more about self improvement, plus I was thinking about getting a Nokia 3310 just to stay contactable

Xanthe likes this.
  7. mbcrazed

mbcrazed GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 10, 2012
    China
    GBATemp
    Hm.. I wouldn't advice you to give up on your phone! It is a powerful device for communication. Is there anyway for you to set up a certain amount of time spent on the device each day? Have a friend or family member take it from you after using it for that certain time period you set?

8. lordkaos

lordkaos GBAtemp Fan

Mar 13, 2009
    United States
    uninstall or disable the web browsers, youtube app, etc. on your phone.

Last edited by lordkaos, Sep 12, 2017
  9. Devin

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

GBAtemp Patron
    Devin is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    Perhaps creating a custom ROM for your device or an android device that only has the ability to text, call, and use whatsapp. If you have a lack of willpower then I doubt you'll refrain yourself from attempting to redownload the apps if you're so interested in them. So take away the ability to download them in the first place. (Remove the Play Store.Then again. How badly will you want to play Angry Birds again? Enough to restore the phone using a stock ROM? Or download an APK from the internet?)

10. yusuo
    OP

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    I'm in my 30s, I have a small amount of will power, its taken me over a year to quit smoking, it S a powerful device for communication but it is also a device that absorbs people's lives and increases one's ego to a point where the simple act of likes is some form of bragging right, so much so that an individual bases their own self importance on their electronic status

11. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal Seriel's Original Stalker

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    Install one of those parental control apps, set so that only the apps you truly need are unblocked, and throw the password away.

12. smileyhead

smileyhead I am DEFINITELY a madman with a box.

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Hungary
    I was in your shoes a couple of months ago, and trust me, you can't get around in today's world without a smartphone (unless you're old and no one you know has one).

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Learn to control yourself and it'll be fine.

13. yusuo
    OP

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    I appreciate your advice, but I only need a device that can handle Spotify, whatsapp I can use on a PC.

Im fed up of my phone, technology for the large part has alot of advantages but personal technology has turned the majority of society into mindless idiots

[​IMG]

heavyd2244 likes this.
  14. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein More coffee, please!

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    But even if you get rid of your smartphone, it is easy to just buy a new one in a moment of weakness, and you will have a moment of weakness.... Hmmm, quite a problem.

15. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    Quitting smoking is a respectable achievement, even when it takes a year.

That being said, if you want Whatsapp you WILL need either an android or iPhone, everything else is either unsupported or will no longer work after December. Honestly I'd say you should just use your existing phone (or a new one that has excellent speakers and battery life) and delete everything that doesn't matter, and disable notifications on the few things that do.

16. yusuo
    OP

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    It is yes, but its alot less likely to happen than me just picking it up from the draw

17. Devin

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    If making a custom ROM isn't your thing there's always this.

18. th3joker

th3joker GBAtemp Regular

Dec 30, 2015
    United States
    Grow balls and self controll. Quit giving a fuck about social media and stupid shit. Guess what next week it will still be there and u can catch up on what all your friends ate for dinner and "liked" throughout tge week.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  19. yusuo
    OP

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    That's actually really cool might just get a standalone mp3 player, doesn't seem like anyone can help me in my quest to get away from a smartphone. Are we all really that conceded that not having one isn't even a considerable option.

Nobody has made one suggestion that isn't keeping my phone or locking myself out of apps. I really don't want this phone anymore

Way to miss the point completely

Last edited by yusuo, Sep 12, 2017
  20. Devin

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    From the initial post you only had Whatsapp listed and in order to use it you'd need a smartphone. If you can access Whatsapp on a PC then your best best is to sell your smart phone and put that money towards an MP3 player as well as a non smart phone. You can call, text, as well as listen to music and other than the noPhone there's really nothing else you'd be able to do to limit yourself. (Since you no longer want the phone and are unable to restrain yourself when it comes to locking/deleting apps. A non smart phone that has access to only Spotify? I don't think such a device exists and if it does then I need to know why it does.)

Last edited by Devin, Sep 12, 2017
    Subtle Demise likes this.