Hardware Want to get into VR, Should I Go PS4 or PC ?

How should I jump into the VR experience?

• 1. PC with the Vive?

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • 2. PS4 with PS VR?

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 3. Give up gaming, the answer is 42 anyways.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Pecrow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone, and before we start, I really don't want this thread to become a typical discussion-type of post which end up being deleted and I just want to ask opinions on the following.

Small history behind all of this (you can skip if you'd like):

I would really like to get into VR, I've seen a lot of videos and feel that this is literally a completely different experience and when it comes to gaming something immersive and new. My sister is finally paying me back on some money that I had lent her over a long period of time, (about 3k USD) and I thought, "perfect timing, a few months from Christmas, blah blah..."

Now, I currently have a PS4, but after that whole new semi-console-generation-bs that sony pulled, it really pissed me off, and since then I have wanted to sell my PS4, but I am having a really hard time deciding on what to do. I have a buyer for my PS4 and games (5 physical) for 500$ (which I could put into the VIVE). And buying VR headset for the PS4 (old), which I have heard that VR will play better on the PS4 Pro, is a real pain and I feel that I would need to sell this PS4 to get a pro to enjoy PS-VR to the fullest... and rumors are coming that possibly a PS5 will be available with in the next 2-3 years. So this is frustrating, BUT I would be expecting the game catalog on the PS4 to be very large, right?

On the other hand, I thought about PC-VR, for which I would need to build a new PC and I would get the Vive which is backwards compatible* with rift games. I could then build a gaming PC good enough for the Vive, 1500-2000 USD, leaving the rest for shipping, etc, but I am really concerned with the following points:

Concerning Points:

1. Is VR dying ? Sales have practically stopped as I read, is it true?

2. In the next 1-2 years, which do you believe would have the best catalog of games? (Quality not Quantity)

3. Would it be worth jumping into the PC Master Race with Vive, or stick with the PS4 and PS-VR? (Thinking of the long run)

4. For those who have VR, is it really worth it?

5. Do you think PS VR games will have a smaller price tag similar to those under Steam? (Steam has sales! and there is also UTorrent)

Or 6. Just ditch gaming all together?

Thank you all for reading this and I would like to hear (read) your opinions.

Regards,

_v3

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
If you can afford a Vive/Oculus go with PC (provided you have a decent enough PC to run VR).
If you own a PS4 go with the PSVR

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd go PC. If you play your cards right you can build yourself a VR-capable rig for around the $650-$900 mark, not including a headset. The deal gets significantly better if you have a decent phone (read; Samsung Galaxy s6 or better or one of Googles upcoming "Daydream View-Ready" phones) that can slot into a dedicated VR viewer, which could then be connected via USB tethering to the PC (see VRidge). Plus, you then also have a pretty sick gaming rig for non-console-exclusives (which, these days, is most games anyway, ESPECIALLY stuff coming out on the PS4)

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the problem with vr right now is barely anyone can afford it and waiting for it to get cheaper, there are very few games that arnt just the 100+ jump scare first person walking simulators
I would hold off and let the tech mature and get cheaper, who knows maybe someone can hack psvr to work on pc

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is like asking if you rather eat at McDonald's or a 5 star restaurant.

If you can afford to eat at the nicer quality restaurant than there's no reason to gimp yourself on a lower quality experience.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

thealgorithm

Trophies
XP
Country
I have the oculus rift and i have also previously used the GearVr with the samsung Galaxy S6.

They are great experiences, but bear in mind that official AAA game support is very lacking. If you want to watch the occasional VR Cinema, Play in a Virtual arcade hallway or to experience the "experiences" and dont mind shelling out your hard earned cash, then fine.

Fortunately there also exists a windows driver known as VorpX which enables VR support for hundreds of games (and half of these or so in true geometric 3d). With some tweaking you can have some nice game experiences with games that do not officially support them.

Project Cars is one of the top AAA titles that support the Rift and its rather amazing.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Got a big room and a powerful PC? Get Vive. Small room and powerful PC? Get Oculus Rift. No powerful PC? Get PSVR.

PSVR doesn't suffer on PS4 because all 30 launch games are designed with the older hardware in mind, and some of them look pretty interesting. Just keep in mind that you will probably have to get the Camera and Move controllers too which will set you back $99 for a set of 2. Also it is often said that PSVR is the most comfortable to wear.

Vive is the most powerful but most of its games are open room games that expect you to walk around in your big room. Unfortunately for me, I don't have any rooms big enough to make it worth getting.

Oculus Rift games are more designed to be played sitting down and their new touch controller should help make the games feel more natural than simply using a controller. Unfortunately my experience with them at conventions (DK2) made me nauseous every time so I can't recommend them even if the release version is supposed to have fixed that.

Cheapest option, don't bother. Adoption rates have stagnated because all the early adopters already have their kits whilst others on the fence are waiting for the next generation to fix the problems of the first wave. Sure that means missing out on some rather amazing looking games (I like the look of the Sword Arts Online game) but it's money you could be putting towards other things, like more PS4 games.

thealgorithm

Trophies
XP
Country
If you have a galaxy s6/s7/note5 etc already, then cheapest option with a decent experience is the gearvr headset which costs around £50 or so. Experience is a lot higher than the typical no-name headgears as the GearVR has its own ultra high resolution sensors as well as utilising low persistance mode on the phone for less motion blur and direct low level buffer access.. Difference is night and day between the no-name headsets and gearvr

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1