Hardware Waiting for ags 101 decided to dye buttons

FIAWOL3141

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wanted to spice up the wife's GBA and give her some black accent to her red console but I wasn't able to find any black buttons or bumpers. I found in a R/C forum where someone suggested that you could dye plastic parts with Rit fabric dye. The thread also mentioned cleaning your parts with acetone before dyeing, don't do that with the side bumpers they just dissolve into goo. The other parts hold up to it well enough. I put the parts in a mesh strainer sitting in a pot with about two cups of water and a full bottle of liquid dye, that was prolly overkill but that was the only reason I bought the dye and I didn't want to mess around. I fiddled with it the entire time, I was nervous because it didn't look like it was working but as soon as the water started to roll the parts instantly turned black. I ended the parts and dried them and slapped them in her case. She loves the look.

FIAWOL3141

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tmp_15096-20161028_113444-600594158.jpg
tmp_15096-20161028_113516-194897591.jpg

FIAWOL3141

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very unique! I'm probably going to do that to an old original gameboy (I don't like the red buttons...)
Thanks, I haven't been around very long and I was nervous this had been played out. I appreciate the complement. Lol it matches her phone case too.

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, this turned out great. Does this process work regardless of the original colors? (Does the acetone kinda like, bleach the original colors or something?)

FIAWOL3141

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is beautiful! I need this on my white GBA.
Oooh I will have to second that! I didn't even think of that! I'm gunna order a white case tonight for myself!
Deishido, I don't think the acetone does anything but strip off any oil that might be on the surface. Next time I'll prolly just use soap and water and rinse it real well before I dye it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I used the liquid dye in the bottle as aroused to the dissolveable power even tho it was more expensive because it said it was ment for synthetic or poly fibers. The powder said it was for natural cotton. *shrug* the R/C guy in his thread used the powder and it worked for him. But like I said, I wasn't interested in messing around.

Reactions: VinsCool

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
I honestly didn't know they made a synthetic dye. Was more used to the powdered stuff, and that always gave mixed results.

Looks on Amazon: They make a royal purple dye. I might have to get some extra 3DS covers/buttons and plates and dye an entirely purple 3DS.

FIAWOL3141

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, this turned out great. Does this process work regardless of the original colors? (Does the acetone kinda like, bleach the original colors or something?)
I really don't know how well this works for every case. This was my first try. The grey original plastic took the color really well.

Reactions: astrangeone

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.