Hacking Wait for a CR4? Do I Understand Steps Correctly?

raynforce

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am new to modding an XBOX 360 but I have modded other systems in the past. I was thinking of modding my system to accomplish the following goals:

-Run Homebrew
-Run my Games from the Internal HD (No disk swapping)
-Be able to install a better internal HD with fewer limitations
-Use my system as a media center
-Must be able to play all current and future commercial copies of games I bought
-I never use xbox live

My fat system is the following:

-Falcon, likely V2 (2008 model, 175w power supply)
-Dash 2.0.14719.0
-Philips Lite-on DG-16D2S (yellow wire visible)

STEP 1, Dump My Unmoded Nand Then Get Xell onto the Nand and Obtain my CPU and DVD Keys

From what I understand, my first goal is to flash xell onto my nand and then obtain my CPU key and (while I am at it) my DVD key as well. To do this, I need something to read and flash my nand (dump the nand then add xell to it to be able to actually see my CPU key and DVD key).

For this step, I assume I need a program to read and write to the nand on my PC (J-runner) and some device to connect the nand on my 360 to a usb port on my PC. At this point, while I could solder a ton of wires to my board for a super slow nand dump via LPT port (a pain and not an option for me since I have no computers with an LPT port), my best option is to use something like NAND-X or J-R programmer. Both require that I solder wires to my board still though.

Even if I get a CR4, this step is unavoidable correct? The CR4 is just a device that glitches the system into allowing custom firmware to run on the 360 and is not a nand reader/writer correct?

Are my best options here to use NAND-X or J-R programmer? Is one is better than the other and why? Are there other/better alternatives? Since these are just re-programmers, they are removed after I am done this step and are now useless to me unless I want to mod another xbox or fix a major screw up (restore the factory nand) with my existing 360 correct?

Should I use a QSB board? If so, which one?

STEP 2 Exploit the system

Things get tricky for me here. If I understand correctly, this part is completely separate from the previous step. This step is all about getting the 360 to accept exploits correct?

I could wait for the CR4 which is essentially just 5 wires and a circuit board that permanently stays in my 360 correct? Would there be no other device needed for this step? How about optional devices? Also, the CR4 is supposed to allow the system to boot very quickly compared to existing methods so there really is no reason for me to research this step any further for the time being correct? No need to even bother looking at the current alternatives (like RGH2 or R-JTAG) since they are simply not comparable.

Reactions: masbass

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
DVD key is best extracted with Jungleflasher.
But the key itself can be grabbed from the NAND yes.

Get a JRunner programmer.
It's uses TX dumping code rather that Tiros's NANDPro.
Not only that but it's got more features then the NAND-X.
It's only a few wires which can be easily soldered on.
Yes, after you're done writing back a hacked NAND, the thing won't be used anymore, unless you somehow manage to screw up both XeLL and the backup copy of XeLL.

CR4 is an upcoming chip.
If yer lucky to find a R-JTAG, you can also go with that one, however the CR4 is said to have less wires to be soldered.
Plus that fact that it's the fastest chip from TX.
There's no "custom firmware" for the 360 (other then hacked DVD firmwares).
It's a rebooter that loads the vulnerable 4548 kernel and patches it.
The glitch chip just resets the 360 until it correctly boots the hacked bootloaders.

I'd say wait till the CR4.
I personally prefer TX hardware cause theirs is of superb quality.

raynforce

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks a lot for the info DinohScene. I suppose once the CR4 comes out this is a list of the items I would likely want to mod my Falcon with dash 2.0.14719.0 Xbox 360:

-Xecuter J-R Programmer V2
-Xecuter PHAT QSB V3
-Xecuter CR4 XL
-Xecuter Unlock Kit V3

Anything else I should get or consider getting? Would the above items, basic soldering tools, a PC and of course the 360 be all that I need? Perhaps some wires that are not included with any of those kits? Tools to make the job easier? Add-ons that are useful / cool?

Also, is there any reason at all to flash my Lite-on drive after installing the CR4?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You only need a JR programmer and a CR4.
You can open up the 360 with a simple small flathead screwdriver and I prefer wire installs over QSB's

What I do recommend is soldering on a small 40 mm fan and attach it to the 2nd GPU heatsink of the falcon and cut a hole in the casing to let in more air (just below the 2nd GPU heatsink.

Other then being able to rip backupped DVD's to yer HDD, no.

masbass

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Had the same questions as raynforce and they have been answered (thanks!), only thing I wonder is will the JR programmer v.2 be compatible with the CR4 or will they issue a new v.3?

Something not clear to me is what happens with future dash upgrades. Do I update the dash and go through the whole procedure of NAND read & program etc like I do now with ixtreme flashing?

In case this happens shouldn't I solder cables with crimps
41mmUSu4IsL._SX300_.jpg
so I can reconnect them easily?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Normal JRunner will be compatible.
However you wouldn't need to program it as they come preprogrammed.

Updating the dash, I written a nice tutorial on it in the tutorial section.
You wouldn't need to flash the NAND via hardware again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat