Hacking vWii: No Y-cable, no plugging/unplugging USB, just playing backups

Espilceralos

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps this isn't the Wii-anthology-in-the-palm-of-your-hand solution that the hopelessly addicted pirates desire, but for those of us who only play backups of games we legitimately have rights to play, this might be a more convenient solution:

Use a 32GB SDHC card to store WiiFlow and Wii game backups.

No more prompts to format at every boot of the Wii U. No unplugging the USB hard drive to avoid said prompts.

Is there far less storage space? Yes, sir, but how many games are of concurrent interest for even the most hardcore of gamers (or their families for that matter)? For me, it's more like the discs are my backups and the wbfs copies are my workhorses.

Does anyone else avoid the USB hard drive and use a memory card like this?

e3xtreme

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
is the Wii U capable of using 128GB SDXC, and is also Wiiflow able? This way would get most of the people around getting an SD card...

TestNtune

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wiiu is capable of deleting files from the sd card automatic if it senses an ileagal file. You may find your files deleted in some future update. Dont those warnings go away if your usb drive is not wbfs but ntfs? I dont know cause i still use wbfs. Just cause it was from the old Wii and too lazy to change everything. But then again, it cant delete files from the wbfs drive if it doesnt recognize it. Well anyways its free homebrew.....not perfect. Works very well actually. Cant we just make our own y cables? usb only has like 4 wires. Cant we just strip the wires and connect 2 male ends instead of one and tape it up lol?

Espilceralos

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is the Wii U capable of using 128GB SDXC, and is also Wiiflow able? This way would get most of the people around getting an SD card...

As declared on Nintendo's website regarding SD card compatibility and the Wii U:
  • SD memory cards up to 2 GB
  • SDHC memory cards up to 32 GB
  • SDXC and fast-transfer UHS-type memory cards are not compatible.
Also note, however, that the Wii originally only supported non-SDHC cards 2GB and less. Then after a system update (version 4.0 I believe) the Wii could handle up to a 32GB SDHC card. In the case of the Wii U, Nintendo is promoting the use of an external hard drive for media management. I'm willing to bet Nintendo would have little justification in expanding the SD compatibility to include SDXC, where specifications allow for up to 2TB of storage.

twiddler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought vWii only supported SD cards, not SDHC. Does this mean I can switch out my SD card after I install HBC?

Plunt

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
^^
I switched over to my SDHC card last night everything I've run off it works fine. I Think you only need a regular SD for HBC installation

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
I believe SDHC support is implemented in IOS the same way USB 2.0 is, so games that run on old IOS still don't have SDHC support, but newer titles do.

I thought so too but was corrected by Davebaol:

Well actually libogc provides SDHC card support regardless of the IOS, see this great article by sven: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/threads/170430-SDHC-support-for-the-Wii
It means that LEGO games only support SD cards because Nintendo dev kit for PPC didn't support SDHC cards at that time.
That's why in my previous post I didn't mention IOS (remember that a IOS runs on ARM).

But still old games don't have SDHC support.

Reactions: Plunt

lfrgames

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm use SDHC class 2 markvision on wiiU with wiiflow 4.1 and run perfect this games
super mario galaxy EUR
donkey kong returns US
new mario bross US

and HDD 1TB hitachi witch external powersupply + usbloaderGX = perfect all games test

dario14

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been trying to load games from my Sandisk sdhc but they crash and return to the vWii menu. The games are installed with wbm and are recognized by WiiFlow. They just wont load. Any ideas? Do I need to change the cios setting or something? Does it depend on the game, the sdhc, or something else?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans