Hacking vWii NAND backup stuck at 620?

FPSRussi4

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Hello all, could use a little reassurance and/or advice.
I followed the instructions posted here: http://gbatemp.net/threads/full-vwii-softmod.339899/ to softmod my wiiU.
However, when I began to do step 5(backup NAND) I launched the tool and everything was going fine, but now the tool has remained at 620 blocks backed up and has not moved for at least half an hour.
I'm starting to get a little worried, anyone know why it won't continue? Should I wait it out? I don't want to turn off the wii u or even reset it.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's only reading from the NAND, not writing. It should be fairly safe to turn off. I would take your SD card out, test it for errors in a PC and wipe it, then copy your apps back onto it and try the NAND backup again.

FPSRussi4

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
See, I WOULD take the card out, but it explicitly says "Do NOT remove the SD card." Should i power off then remove it?

FPSRussi4

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I'm extremely reluctant about this so to clarify: do you mean unplugging my wiiU and plugging it back in? Merely pressing and holding the power button doesn't seem to be doing anything.

jamsplodge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Think about your options

1) Leave it and hope it finishes (which it probably never will)
2) Power off, pull the SD and power back on again
3) Pull the SD then power off

There are no other options. If 1 is unlikely, go with the least likely to cause damage of the other two (number 2). As mentioned before, as it's only reading there should be no harm done. And if there is, well, unless 1) actually ever finished you'd always be in that position anyway. Pull the plug and power back on, you'll be fine.

DISCLAIMER!!!! IF YOU ARE NOT FINE, DON'T BLAME ME!!! (But seriously I'd just pull the plug)

FPSRussi4

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Just did option 2, and we're okay! I still want to make a backup of my NAND, should i download a different tool or?

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would check the SD card, get anything you need to keep off of it onto your PC and then reformat it (or get a new SD card) and try again to see what happens. Worst thing would be you have to yank the power cord again.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
The reason it says to not take the SD card out is to avoid corrupting the NAND dump (which you wouldn't want to be written back and screw up your NAND)

After putting that message on there, I programmed it to keep retrying and retrying again and again if it encountered an error. I actually tested it by pulling the card out and putting it back in a couple of times during the dump process and it still finished the dump fine and DIDN'T corrupt the dump ... but I left the message in there just in case since it's still not usually a good idea to take the risk.

If running it again doesn't fix it I'd try another SD card. I have an SD card that would never finished a dump until I added the code to "try try again" (but even that one worked with the new version) ... but it doesn't seem impossible to me that some cards might just not be recoverable (either way, it would definitely NOT be a card to use when writing a NAND dump back if that option becomes available some day.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu: i know this isn't the place but does/did anybody have the same issue as me?