Hardware vWii mode overscan issue

TrainerAbu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My TV, a 55" Toshiba 55UX600u, can display in "Native" or "Full," and the user manual says Native eliminates overscan.

However, Native shows black borders on every side when I put my Wii U in Wii mode. Full mode looks stretched and ugly, though.

In Wii U mode, I have to have it on Native, full mode crops out the image.

How do I get the black borders to go away in Wii mode?

I suck at explaining but I want the overscan in my Wii mode to go away =(

Lookie401

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wait, what? You mean you want underscan on vWii mode to go away.

I have TWO Toshiba TVs and setting the TV in "Full" mode under vWii shouldn't stretch the image and in fact removes the black borders. Are you sure the Wii U is outputting at 16:9? Also what resolution is the Wii U outputting?

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
you will always have underscan or overscan with wii games. there is no fixing it unless you can adjust image size on your tv manually.

tronic307

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My TV, a 55" Toshiba 55UX600u, can display in "Native" or "Full," and the user manual says Native eliminates overscan.

However, Native shows black borders on every side when I put my Wii U in Wii mode. Full mode looks stretched and ugly, though.

In Wii U mode, I have to have it on Native, full mode crops out the image.

How do I get the black borders to go away in Wii mode?

I suck at explaining but I want the overscan in my Wii mode to go away =(
You mean underscan in Wii mode, and that's actually a misconception; the black borders are part of the graphical output. The reason most people have never encountered this condition before is that the vast majority of sets that can eliminate overscan can only do so at HD resolutions and most players have not seen Wii content scaled to HD. When we were playing the original Wii at 480p, the only reason the picture filled the screen was due to forced overscan at SD resolutions on virtually all TVs. The Wii's full graphical output is about 672x480, of which only 640x456 are active in most games. It looks exactly the same for me on the original Wii because I use an outboard video scaler at 1080p. I can even zoom the Wii's input to fill the screen, but I refuse because homebrew doesn't observe the safe area, using the full 480 lines. The top rows of text would be cut if I use zoom. If you want proof that it's not underscan, launch the Wii Menu Manual Channel in the Wii U's Wii mode, and you will see that even though the image is cropped at the sides, the image reaches the from the top to the bottom of the screen, thus using the full 480 lines. If any content uses the full 480 lines, there is no underscan.

Reactions: Codemastershock

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @K3Nv2 is too dumb to assemble IKEA furniture :tpi: