Hacking Vita Retroarch Nightly Builds!

sj33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I'm creating this thread to avoid the 3DS thread being contaminated with talk about the Vita build! I've been messing around with Rejuvenate for Unity today and it's rather good! So lets talk about the Retroarch cores for Vita.

The latest nightly builds can be downloaded here.

There's also a completely separate, unrelated Vita port of CATSFC here.

I've tested the latter CATSFC release and it runs full speed on my Vita even in 333MHz mode. Disabling Vsync gives 145fps in Mario World. Crazy!

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hell, as soon as I can figure out what I do next with Rejuvenate 4 Unity, the sooner I can run these.
When I Registered the Device, I placed the 3 Files where I needed to in the Rejuvenate App. Now I just used the Email App on my Vita to Load up the 3 Files, each one, not hit OK, but just Closed the Email App and Open it again. Now I am drawing a Blank on how/What to do now. LOL.

Reactions: Steve_C78

sj33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I had issues too - I literally only figured it out yesterday.

You do as you say - import those three files in the Unity app on your PC then open the individual licence files in the email app as you described.

Then, you need the daily files. These are on the same psplus page on Wololo. This will send a new email for you to open on your Vita two more files. Open these in the same way.

Then it should work.

Reactions: Smoker1

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still get PSM Developer's Licence could not be Confirmed
Also keeps saying on my PC waiting for Device to connect to Network

Edit: I am trying again with New Files, but the Email App wont show it for some reason. It shows I have a new Messahes, but when I hit Inbox, it only shows the old Msgs

Last edited by Smoker1,

sj33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I still get PSM Developer's Licence could not be Confirmed
Also keeps saying on my PC waiting for Device to connect to Network

Edit: I am trying again with New Files, but the Email App wont show it for some reason. It shows I have a new Messahes, but when I hit Inbox, it only shows the old Msgs
Yep - I had the same issue. I'm not sure what causes it, Gmail maybe? Regardless, your old licence files should be fine but new daily files might help!

I open my main on the PC and 'star' the email. That ensures the mail will appear in the Google Mail->Starred folder.

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep - I had the same issue. I'm not sure what causes it, Gmail maybe? Regardless, your old licence files should be fine but new daily files might help!

I open my main on the PC and 'star' the email. That ensures the mail will appear in the Google Mail->Starred folder.
Well I am using Yahoo. Shows up fine on my PC. But on my Vita......yeah. OK real quick: You did not hit the OK at ANY POINT correct? thinking that is where I went wrong because I hit OK on the very last one the first time I hit the Files on my Vita. Might be the Issue

zxc2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well I am using Yahoo. Shows up fine on my PC. But on my Vita......yeah. OK real quick: You did not hit the OK at ANY POINT correct? thinking that is where I went wrong because I hit OK on the very last one the first time I hit the Files on my Vita. Might be the Issue
use a gmail or outlook acount, the others dont work sometimes.
use the hacker informer tutorial http://hackinformer.com/psmplus/index.html

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I FINALLY GOT IT!!!!!!!! Yup. I was right. Dont hit the OK Button on the Vita at ANY point, even at the Last File. Now the Unity App says:
There is no content items installed. Please use the Unity Editor to create and install applications.

Now here is the big Question: Now when I connect my Vita to my PC, I just drag a .velf or a .elf File to the run_homebrew_unity.bat App correct??

Edit: Now I am having this Issue. Do I need to connect to a Router for this?

Attachments

• Vita Issue.jpg
    Vita Issue.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 531
Last edited by Smoker1,

sj33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Drag-and-drop your .elf or .velf file onto the run_homebrew_unity.bat and it will show the screen as above.

Now, on your Vita need to open PSM Dev for Unity. From here, open VitaDefilerClient. If it shows a message asking you to update, you need new Daily Files so open those as before. Remember do NOT update!
It should show the 'Unity' logo on the Vita and the homebrew should start transfering as long as your Vita is on the same network as your PC. This works over Wifi - you don't need USB.

I just tried out Genesis Plus GX (libretro core). Seems to be a little bit below full speed for me, maybe 80%? It's more noticable in the sound than the gameplay itself. It feels like playing a 60Hz game in 50Hz! This is on fw 3.18 so limited to 333MHz - people on 3.30+ can use 444MHz mode so it probably runs full speed.

...runs much better on my New 3DS. :D Here's hoping Picodrive gets ported - it should run much better, being designed for ARM.

EDIT - By the way, L+R+Start+Select brings up the Retroarch menu in-game.

Last edited by sj33,

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I did get the DefilerClient Installed. However, I read if this happens I need to try again with the Email App on my Vita with the 3-4 Files then the 2 because somehow, it did not get the Device Name correctly? Also, Does the Vita HAVE to be connected via USB and WiFi->Router??

Attachments

• Vita Issue 2.jpg
    Vita Issue 2.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 501

zxc2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well I did get the DefilerClient Installed. However, I read if this happens I need to try again with the Email App on my Vita with the 3-4 Files then the 2 because somehow, it did not get the Device Name correctly? Also, Does the Vita HAVE to be connected via USB and WiFi->Router??
don't do all again. you already have the keys. only need transfer to the vita the vitadefilerclient.
to do this connect the vita by USB and click in the bat file with this name "run_package_install_unity.bat"
after this. yo can see the app when you open psm dev for unity( in the vita)
is all fine. unplug the usb. and try to run a homebrew.
you can use gui4Rejuvenate.exe
when the pc tell waiting for vita conection. open the app in the vita and do a click in vita defilerclient.

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well hopefully there will be a better way to Load Homebrew and RetroArch later when the reveal is made, because Rejuvenate is giving me a headache.
Does the FBA Cores have Core Button Mapping, or is it just the CPS2 Core?

sj33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I agree that Rejuvenate isn't as user-friendly as we'd like it to be, though that's more of a limitation with the current exploit. It's not too bad once you have everything set up properly. There's an application called gui4rejuvenate which makes it easier to send .elf/velf files on the PC side, and the only think you need to constantly re-apply on the Vita side are the daily files. You don't need to use USB at all as long as you're using PSM Unity as Unity works over WiFi.

You can use VitaFTP to transfer files over to the Vita itself (apps, roms etc.) then use an application called VHL which is a homebrew loader that can load apps on your memory card. Might be easier, though with Retroarch builds updated nightly it might make more sense to keep those on your PC.

We'd need a kernel mode exploit to make it easier. I doubt the reveal today would have anything so groundbreaking because it would be bigger news. It's probably going to be new custom bubbles for 3.52 users - nice, but won't help with Rejuvenate.

Last edited by sj33,

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I swear this Rejuvenate crap is giving me a damn headache. Daily Files are not showing up in the Email. Not even when I check them on my PC. I redid everything. Got the 4 Starting Files for Email, now just need to get the Daily Files, but that is kind of hard to do when they are not there. I swear there better be a easier way to get this working. Otherwise, there will be a lot of upset ppl asking WTF????

All I can say is thankfully I have a 3DS. Least that was simple to get taken care of then the Sony Lock down Device Vita

Last edited by Smoker1,

sj33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The issue with the mails not showing is a pain. I regularly have to tag them as 'starred' or 'important' to make them show on my Vita in the relevant folder. I've been thinking about using a different email address.

Homebrew on the native Vits isn't particularly user friendly. Indeed, you have to jump through hoops to install any kind of exploit on the Vita - ePSP and PS1 exploits rely on games that soon get taken down from PSN. Not great. It took a long time and multiple guides for me to figure out how to install Unity on my 3.18 Vita, then I couldn't get Rejuvenate working until this weekend. I don't consider myself a 'newbie' at this stuff, either.

But there has been great progress over the past few months. Sony's security on the Vita is much better than what Nintendo managed with the 3DS - homebrew on the Vita still relies on PSM, and is still user-mode only. The current setup is probably the best we'll get until a kernel mode exploit is found, though I'd be happy enough if they worked out how to use 444MHz mode on older firmwares.

I agree the 3DS is better. I use my New 3DS daily on the train when I commute to and from work. No chance of using Rejuvenate on the train.

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@sj33
OK, I got Defiler on my Vita again and everything seems OK, however, when I go to run Defiler I get this:
Failed the authentication to execute application.
Please re-create a Device Seed and App Key using with Unity Editor or Publishing Utility for Unity.

What do I do? Also, Do I have to be connected to a Router to my PC in order to run Homebrew/Emulators? Been asking around and have not found an answer.

Last edited by Smoker1,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: you could say it fell out.