Vita hackers suggest Vita successor is in the works

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could see Sony creating a less powerful PS4 that is very much the same idea of the Nintendo Switch, and treating that device as the Vita's successor. If it were truly a PS4 though, then it would have to be all digital based as it obviously wouldn't be able to play Blu-Ray discs as a portable console. So that could become something of a barrier to entry, but I could still see such hardware as being viable for Sony.

But, if we're talking a straight up Vita successor that plays its own games that the PS4 wouldn't receive, I honestly don't see that happening at this point, as I just don't see much of a logic in a powerful handheld at this point with a separate library from a powerful console that only looks marginally better than the handheld in question. Heck, the Vita makes little sense as a handheld at this point, at least with the DS and 3DS you were getting gaming experiences that couldn't easily be recreated on a console. (Granted the Wii U is capable of recreating those gaming experiences, but even still the Wii U proved to not really work as a console version of the same kinds of dual screen gaming we saw on the DS and 3DS, because the two screens were not nearly as easily to take both in at the same time.)

Reactions: spiderman1216

Enigma Hall

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If they are making a new vita will be more powerfull than switch. Sony like to show hardware superiority.
But i dont belive they will do it hdmi. They want to keep these things apart.
Still, the new portable probabily will have interations with ps4. Maybe special missions to do with vita. Double screen interations, vita 2 games hidden inside new ps4 games do be transfered, and of couse stream and A.R. games. So many possibilities to be explorated.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
As long as we can use memory sticks again or even........... SD CARDS, i'll see it as "INTERESTING" until i actually believe it. NO MORE PRIORITY MEMORY CARDS. :nayps3:
I think you mean proprietary.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

inb4 it's graphically superior to the switch but doesnt sell because it's not nintendo.
Yes, because that's why the vita failed... :rofl2:

Reactions: chartube12

flame1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think they are working on a successor. Code name is PSP3. I have heard it called Vita2 also.

Link first: http://www.vocaloidotaku.net/index....p__1382836?s=cfb48d5964c27c6446014498eef7577d
User "MagicalMiku" is known on this forum for posting correct rumors.
One of the "questions" (rumors?) says a Miku game will be a PSP3 launch title, or it may be such a title.

Sony will win this battle. PSP3 is designed from the ground up to be a portable gaming machine. Either they could release a similar machine for less money, or a more powerful machine for the same money. Without wasting money on: grip, controllers, communication chips, communication docks. I'm worried it will weigh a ton due to its battery.

I don't think Yifanlu's logic makes a lot of sense, but I do think Sony is working on PSP3.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
The switch doesnt have games either, but it's nintendo :unsure:

Invalid argument. We are only a month in, and these publishers have games planned. The Vita support was dropped by SONY.

Seriously, give it AT LEAST a year.

Last edited by Kioku,

flame1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Vita was dropped by SONY.
As a platform, Vita is fully supported. If you are a developer, you can still get Vita dev kits if interested in developing for Vita (to name one example of platform-level support).
Maybe you mean "first party games" when you say support, in which case you'd be right. Just say that next time, maybe.

PSP has been dropped though.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
As a platform, Vita is fully supported. If you are a developer, you can still get Vita dev kits if interested in developing for Vita (to name one example of platform-level support).
Maybe you mean "first party games" when you say support, in which case you'd be right. Just say that next time, maybe.

PSP has been dropped though.

Fixed. That's partially what I meant. I also was saying that they did with the Vita what Nintendo did with the Wii U.

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's the point? There is no way they will make it more powerful than the Switch whilst making it cheaper than the 3DS, so it would have to fill the niche of somewhat powerful and somewhat cheap.

Either that or they can go in a completely new direction.

Last edited by Deboog,

Randqalan

The Wheel of Time Turns
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think they are working on a successor. Code name is PSP3. I have heard it called Vita2 also.

Link first: http://www.vocaloidotaku.net/index....p__1382836?s=cfb48d5964c27c6446014498eef7577d
User "MagicalMiku" is known on this forum for posting correct rumors.
One of the "questions" (rumors?) says a Miku game will be a PSP3 launch title, or it may be such a title.

Sony will win this battle. PSP3 is designed from the ground up to be a portable gaming machine. Either they could release a similar machine for less money, or a more powerful machine for the same money. Without wasting money on: grip, controllers, communication chips, communication docks. I'm worried it will weigh a ton due to its battery.

I don't think Yifanlu's logic makes a lot of sense, but I do think Sony is working on PSP3.
might want to look at this possibility also

New type of portable battery
https://news.utexas.edu/2017/02/28/goodenough-introduces-new-battery-technology
If this ever dev complete for market should step up even the switch
But would be good for all portable devices

Last edited by Randqalan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lulz @Veho