Hardware Vita 2nd gen vs New 3ds XL

lytro

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It's like buying a new computer that is much more powerful than the one you had before, but this new PC only works with 90's bulgy square monitors.

Er,..poor comparison.

It´s like using a pc case which forces you to screw down every USB storage-device you want to use with your PC.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Er,..poor comparison.

It´s like using a pc case which forces you to screw down every USB storage-device you want to use with your PC.

Erm...isn't that still a thing for middle-end computers? I thought it was.

EDIT: Wait. USB? I'm confused.

BenRK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It makes sense.

But the fact that you have to unscrew the back just to switch an SD card, is utterly ridiculous in 2015, for ANY device. Regardless of it being a small step back.

I have to unscrew my computer case to get to the hard drive. My PS3 to get to the hard drive. You can't even get into stuff like the iPhone. You can't easily swap out hard drives on the new consoles.

There are many worse offences out there then two easy to unscrew screws out there. But please stop, I get it, you guys think it's stupid, I think it's not a big deal, lets move on.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I have to unscrew my computer case to get to the hard drive. My PS3 to get to the hard drive. You can't even get into stuff like the iPhone. You can't easily swap out hard drives on the new consoles.

There are many worse offences out there then two easy to unscrew screws out there. But please stop, I get it, you guys think it's stupid, I think it's not a big deal, lets move on.

Exacly. I mean, NON portable hardware, usually has that kind of acessibility limitations. But then again, you don't really carry your PS3 in your pocket.

As for iPhones, they do not open easy, that much is true. But then again, the only reason why you would open one would be either for repairs, or to replace the battery, since it does not use any kind of storage card.

Now for handhelds / mobile devices, that has not been the case for years.

I mean, the last device I used that required me to take off the back to replace an SD card, was the N-Gage. The N-freaking-Gage. And that was less painful because it had no screws in place.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Like I said, move on.

Sure, just discussing the situation.

Opinion, nothing more.

On another topic: WHY THE HELL do we have to wait for a New 3DS?

I get that the market is not as good as it used to be overseas, but god dammit, just manufacture less units and test the demand on a country.

I would have bought a new 3DS ages ago if it was available in Europe!

BenRK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not what it was turning in to, I can tell you that.

On another topic: WHY THE HELL do we have to wait for a New 3DS?

I get that the market is not as good as it used to be overseas, but god dammit, just manufacture less units and test the demand on a country.

I would have bought a new 3DS ages ago if it was available in Europe!

Now THAT is a good question and one we can all agree is bull on Nintendo's part.

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Hearing that you have to use a screwdriver in order to access "external memory" is a real buzzkill. May not buy the New 3DS after all.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
That's not what it was turning in to, I can tell you that.
Hearing that you have to use a screwdriver in order to access "external memory" is a real buzzkill. May not buy the New 3DS after all.

I think that is a step too far. It is utterly ridicullous. But it isn't more than an annoyance really.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It could have been worse guys
*cough ngage*

Not that this is much better

And to people comparing this to phones
At least I can hook up the phone over usb and manage the sd card contents

Funny thing is..............even the N-Gage only required you to press a button to take the back cover off. So as much as it hurts saying this, the N-Gage was STILL less of a pain.

You know something is retarded when the N-Gage wins by comparison..

BenRK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's retarded when people keep going "WORST THING EVAR!" then in the same post "minor annoyance."

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It's retarded when people keep going "WORST THING EVAR!" then in the same post "minor annoyance."

I still don't know why you are so mad about it. Both of those reactions can coexist, it doesn't detract from the point.

In other words, even though this is a mindblowingly stupid decision by Nintendo, it is indeed a minor annoyance. Unless you start pulling out your hair over this, which is a little overkill..

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a New 3DS XL and I have a complaint. The casing is a step back into the stone age - you have to *unscrew* the backplate to access the microSD slot, what's up with that? What happened to the convenient flap on a normal slot? There - a complaint. :)

They want you to put the card in and then forget about it. They're pretty stupid with stuff like that. LIke on the Wii U they make you reset the system if you insert/remove USB drives and tell you in the instructions to only insert/remove drives with power off. Yeah, that's going against the USB specs, it's designed to be hot swappable! But I digress. Basically Nintendo and removable media are not very good friends so they don't feel like making things easy when they don't have to.

Reactions: Foxi4

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not pulling hairs, I'm just saying everyone's reactions seem to be a bit silly.

Like you said before, it depends on the person. Myself, I would find it insanely annoying, due to me using my 3DS for my portable music, so I tend to pull the SD card out quite a bit to update my library on there. Of course, I could probably find a way to rig it so it would stay closed without the screw, I'm generally fine altering housings and whatnot. It's a minor annoyance, yes, but it's an annoyance that wasn't present in the previous iterations.

Most eople that use the SD card just for games will probably be fine with it, and since most people have smartphones or some other device for handling their media, that will probably be most people. I just don't get why they decided to use a screw, were people having troubles with their SD card falling out of the previous models? I know my 3DS holds it just fine, but I don't know about the XL as I don't own one.

I'm not too concerned about it myself, though, since I don't plan to get one. I don't have anything major against the N3DS, but I can't see a reason to spend another $160 for a mildly better version of something I already have and works just fine. If it gets exclusives I want to play, not just ports, I might rethink that.

BenRK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like you said before, it depends on the person. Myself, I would find it insanely annoying, due to me using my 3DS for my portable music, so I tend to pull the SD card out quite a bit to update my library on there. Of course, I could probably find a way to rig it so it would stay closed without the screw, I'm generally fine altering housings and whatnot. It's a minor annoyance, yes, but it's an annoyance that wasn't present in the previous iterations.

Most eople that use the SD card just for games will probably be fine with it, and since most people have smartphones or some other device for handling their media, that will probably be most people. I just don't get why they decided to use a screw, were people having troubles with their SD card falling out of the previous models? I know my 3DS holds it just fine, but I don't know about the XL as I don't own one.

I'm not too concerned about it myself, though, since I don't plan to get one. I don't have anything major against the N3DS, but I can't see a reason to spend another $160 for a mildly better version of something I already have and works just fine. If it gets exclusives I want to play, not just ports, I might rethink that.

Holy crap an actual response that isn't all "DAH NINTENO DUM!" followed up with "minor annoyance!"

I can see it being annoying if you're using it as your primary music device (I honestly was unaware the 3DS could play MP3 files, I thought it could only play some archaic music format), but as you said, most people likely already have another device for that (their phones), and you can kinda see that Nintendo knew this as well, and it shows in all their recent consoles really. Wii U can't play DVDs/Blurays for example, and that's probably because Nintendo thinks you already have another way to do that. So I think from their point of view, it's not worth making the SD card easily accessible as almost everyone will either never bother replacing it or replace it once to something bigger then forget about it.

As for the screws, I imagine it has more to do with holding in the battery then anything. I couldn't tell you how many times I dropped my phone and the battery fell out. That's my guess anyway. And hey, if you want to mod your console to make it easier to get to the SD card, I say go for it!

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy crap an actual response that isn't all "DAH NINTENO DUM!" followed up with "minor annoyance!"

I can see it being annoying if you're using it as your primary music device (I honestly was unaware the 3DS could play MP3 files, I thought it could only play some archaic music format), but as you said, most people likely already have another device for that (their phones), and you can kinda see that Nintendo knew this as well, and it shows in all their recent consoles really. Wii U can't play DVDs/Blurays for example, and that's probably because Nintendo thinks you already have another way to do that. So I think from their point of view, it's not worth making the SD card easily accessible as almost everyone will either never bother replacing it or replace it once to something bigger then forget about it.

As for the screws, I imagine it has more to do with holding in the battery then anything. I couldn't tell you how many times I dropped my phone and the battery fell out. That's my guess anyway. And hey, if you want to mod your console to make it easier to get to the SD card, I say go for it!

MP3 is an archaic music format. xP
I use AAC on there as it's the best it can handle without homebrew.

I just wonder why they couldn't have had the layout different. Was it to reduce latency between the motherboard and SD card or what?

Either way, we're human. We tend to focus on the negative more than the positive. It's in our nature to be wary and skeptical. I do like that Nintendo focuses on making it a gaming device first, I'm find with using homebrew to add in everything else I want. It's just the placement of the Micro SD is a bit odd to me. When they were designing it, they had to go out of their way to specifically decide where to put the Micro SD, so I wonder why there? I tinker a lot with devices and various other electronics, so that decisions like that and their reasons tend to interest me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over