Hardware Vita 2nd gen vs New 3ds XL

aofelix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sony missed a trick with the Vita 2000. I thought they did the right thing at then time of not adding two more triggers and clickable analogues as it would upset vita 1000 owners.

However in hindsight, the 3DS XL did just that, adding a far nicer control scheme whilst still catering to the existing 3DS Owners and I think its worked out very well.

Why didn't sony really go all out to improve the Vita 2000 and try and breathe some life into the system?

derkiederk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's a bit early to say it worked out very well, let's wait until new 3ds exclusive games are launched and measure the backlash. Personally I think it's an awful idea to alienate the vast majority of your install base and use such a vague naming system for the improved hardware but we shall see how it pans out soon enough.

Reactions: Skelletonike

aofelix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I think Nintendo made a wise move by limiting the amount of exclusive games. I believe there won't be many,.

However the C-stick and the the 2 triggers combined with the IMPROVED screen and general revamp of a few cheapish design features like the volume button area suitable upgrade.

Then compare it to Sony's revision of the Vita 2k and I can't help but feel its lacking. If they'd added to the vita control scheme to mirror the PS2/3/4 controller, I would be so excited for PS Now rather than dreading trying to use the rear touchpad.

rac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i would find the new 3ds exclusive games pretty upsetting if i owned a regular 3ds/xl.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"A far nicer control scheme"

Adds a tiny analog nub and decides to place it right next to the screen boarder
Ignores crappy dpad and slide pad (which is an accurate name since your thumb just slides off of it after a while)

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I feel like you need to get over it. It's about time Nintendo did something to push themselves a bit further. The 3DS was lacking, and the New3DS is a welcome addition. Not only do you get the new enhancements but it works with every other game out there. Plus, the c-stick and two extra should buttons work with CPP compatible games.

Sony didn't need to do anything hardware wise. It's their software that's lacking. They've got a few good first party titles, but nothing else holds up. You get lackluster remakes (aside from X and X-2)

Nintendo made the right move. You don't like it, then that just sucks. Not to mention I highly doubt there will be too many N3DS exclusive games. Also they are working on their next piece of equipment.

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the sad irony in this post is that the new 3ds had to add features which the vita had in the first place. So if anything the reason the 2000 did not add more stuff is because it did not need to. Ovrrall, 3DS < New 3DS < Vita

also

new 3DS is utterly pathetic. The new nipple is stupid small and the layout is horrible. They actually put a groove on the hinge so your thumb has more room to actually use it. Talk about a train wreck. And what do you mean "while still catering to existing 3DS owners". How do you define that exactly?? Its an upgrade meaning it doesnt cater to existing 3DS owners.

aofelix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
im not saying the new 3DS is or isn't better than the Vita hardware wise.

you guys are missing the point.

The vita IMO is superior to the new3DS hardware wise.

my gripe is why during the refresh didn't sony include dual triggers or some type of real enhancement to make people go out and buy a new console.

Reactions: zeello

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read somewhere that sony may have a new hardware revision of the Vita due to Vita sales are up since ps4 remote play is popular. I wonder if that includes more shoulder buttons?

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hear tablets use LCD screens which have already surpassed Vita's OLED. So if Sony goes with LCD from now on I don't mind as long as its at least as good as the original Vita. I don't care which technology is used, just how good the screen is.

BenRK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find it funny how people are complaining about the new 3DS when it isn't even out in their country yet. I have yet to see an Australian complaining in here, and I would trust their opinions a tiny bit more then those of butt hurt 12 year olds.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony will probably avoid any major redesign with the Vita, as that kind of investment probably wouldn't help it turn a much greater profit. The N3DS will probably go the way of the DSi: those that have it will love it, those that don't probably won't care. Nintendo has done well in the past to not divide their customer base. So far the "exclusives" for the N3DS seem to be just ports of games from previous consoles. For the most part, I imagine they'll stick to porting games to it from other platforms and have newer 3DS games also be "N3DS Enhanced". The DSi had some exclusives, but only a couple that were noteworthy.

What I am interested in from Sony, however, is what they'll do with their next generation handheld. I'm sure they've learned and gathered interesting information this generation.

D

Deleted-355425

Sony will probably avoid any major redesign with the Vita, as that kind of investment probably wouldn't help it turn a much greater profit. The N3DS will probably go the way of the DSi: those that have it will love it, those that don't probably won't care. Nintendo has done well in the past to not divide their customer base. So far the "exclusives" for the N3DS seem to be just ports of games from previous consoles. For the most part, I imagine they'll stick to porting games to it from other platforms and have newer 3DS games also be "N3DS Enhanced". The DSi had some exclusives, but only a couple that were noteworthy.

What I am interested in from Sony, however, is what they'll do with their next generation handheld. I'm sure they've learned and gathered interesting information this generation.

i doubt sony will release another after this.

aofelix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah I doubt Sony will too. The fact they've near abandoned the Vita in terms of first party titles for the next few years means I doubt they're really dedicated to the portable gaming market.

I hope its not true as the Vita as far as I know is popular in Japan.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i doubt sony will release another after this.

That would be disappointing. That would leave Nintendo unchallenged in the handheld space and the most interesting games, cheaper bundles, and technology results from competition. Oh well, we'll see what the future holds.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I find it funny how people are complaining about the new 3DS when it isn't even out in their country yet. I have yet to see an Australian complaining in here, and I would trust their opinions a tiny bit more then those of butt hurt 12 year olds.
I have a New 3DS XL and I have a complaint. The casing is a step back into the stone age - you have to *unscrew* the backplate to access the microSD slot, what's up with that? What happened to the convenient flap on a normal slot? There - a complaint. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over