Vista RC1 + 360 = good!

ds6220

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I am not sure if any of you care or not but I used to have XP Pro installed on my home machine and with the 360 the only thing I could stream to it would be pictures and music. The music is nice for puzzle games but that is about it. I just installed Vista RC1 (I did have Beta 2 on for a little while before though) and now I finally have an operating system with Windows Media Center installed. I have no WMV files though as most of the video files I download are Divx (for obvious reasons) and I had read that you need to install special streaming software in order to get Divx to the 360. Unfortunately all the software seemed to require the .NET framework 1.1 or something like that and Vista has .NET 2.0 and does not seem to support 1.1. I thought I was sunk but once I actually looked at WMC running on the 360 I noticed that it did point to my Divx files and when I tried them they actually played. Nice. So the long story short (too late) Vista can stream Divx files to the 360 with no special tricks. Just thought you guys would like to know that in case you were worried that when it is finally out it would not support it.
grog.gif

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It doesn't suprise me that M$ added other video formats to there 360 streaming protocol, after all it has been done homebrew apps already.
It is something that I want to do but I don't have the space to install either MCE or vista ATM.

ds6220

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, Vista is a bit of a hog. I was just pleasently suprised that it supports more common video files. I guess thay were listening to the outrage.

goretech

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, Vista is a bit of a hog. I was just pleasently suprised that it supports more common video files. I guess thay were listening to the outrage.

Hey DS6220,

Can you tell me more about Vista & the 360? Can you pause live tv, etc? I tried to read MS website but no luck on details. I want to setup a tivo like system in my home based on my main PC.

ds6220

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish I knew more about its Tivo like functions but I would need a TV tuner built into my video card for it to work. There are controls there for recording and streaming TV as well as functions like Tivo but I am unable to test that part unfortunately.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.