Videos on 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Terenigma, Mar 26, 2011.

Mar 26, 2011

Videos on 3DS by Terenigma at 4:37 PM (43,477 Views / 0 Likes) 31 Comments

Terenigma Terenigma everywhere

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Can you put your own videos on 3DS using the SD card?

Iv tested it with photos and music (both of which work) but im curious if you can do the same with videos and if so what do you goto to view them?

Any format is fine as long as long as a converter exsists and im not bothered about 3d videos. i just wondered if theres anything like moonshell already built into the 3DS so i can hook up some personal videos of mine or possibly a tv show to watch on my 3DS

DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

Message Count:
    United States
    There's no built-in movie player for the 3DS.
    3DS movies are played from the 3DS game slot, and the codec is probably in the cartridge rather than the 3DS.
    • Newcomer

zhaul New Member

Message Count:
    Mexico
    Sorry 'bout the question, ussing moonshell and a flash card ofcourse, ... you can play videos ussing top 3DS resolution? (or iplayer/scds2 video player)

p.d. DeMoN, do u play dota?

bigpaws Cat with da Big Paws!

Message Count:
    United States
    flash carts are in ds mode so there will be letterboxing bars
    no video player is official, and we may not get one.
    netflix may be the closest we can get.

thedicemaster New Member

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    putting your own movies on a 3DS through the sdcard is not possible.
    it may be in the future, but for now the best you can get is through moonshell in DS mode.

DeMoN: there's a 3DS demonstration video available through a system update, so movies wouldn't necessarily require to be on a game card together with a player and codec.

pachura New Member

Message Count:
    I believe files related to system updates are saved on the SD card.. so the video file must also be there.
    Why hasn't anyone even tried to find the file and identify video codec & container used ?

DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

Message Count:
    United States
    I think the codec is proprietary and can not be obtained unless you're a developer. Sort of like the ActImagine codec for DS that seems to be in every game with cinematics.

thedicemaster New Member

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    no, nothing update related is stored on the sdcard.
    a 3DS has built-in storage for that.
    • Newcomer

MrCm New Member

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    i think that if a ds can play dpg videos a 3ds can too
    • Global Moderator

FIX94 Global Moderator

Message Count:
    Germany
    You seen from when the thread is? If you have a flashcard you can run the videos in ds mode of course.

ForteGospel New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    wait... what?
    you can use the 3ds as an mp3 player?
    • Newcomer

cyb3ritachi New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Where have you been???????
    i heard there was an update coming soon so 3ds can record video but i dnk when it will be release, i read in on gamefaqs

ForteGospel New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    omg i just tried it, the 3ds is also a mp3 player!!
    i am in love~~~
    i have been using my ds lite as mp3 player for more than 3 years... and i was bummed that i couldnt play music in the 3ds anymore... GJ nintendo!!! [IMG]

ferofax End of the World

Message Count:
    Philippines
    lol, how long have you had yours anyway? XD don't you poke around what's in there trying not to miss anything and read through their manuals at least once? i mean, 3DS Sound is pretty visible from the main menu...

sonknuck23 Mighty Switch Force >

Message Count:
    Canada
    First thing I did when I got my 3DS was create a Mii, and put Music on it rofl.

BoxmanWTF ♪Toot Toot Sonic Warrior♫

Message Count:
    Canada
    iit's funny because I did the exact opposite XD
    also have you guys noticed the visualizations? those things are incredible in 3D, I like that starfox-y one [IMG]

Zarxrax New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    When nintendo releases their video recording app, I'm sure there will probably be a way to load your own videos into it, unless its encrypted in some way.

I wonder if it would be possible to get custom videos streaming through netflix by tricking it into connecting to your own server?

ForteGospel New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    i was sure it was some kind of sound test, that i could make a sound and get recorded, then play with the record... not a player.
    i had my 3ds for about a month... my friend had it for 2 and didnt knew how the feature worked... some else i know has the console since launch and was surprised that the 3ds can play mp3
    • Newcomer

konel01 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    i'm also hoping that when 3D Video recording hits it makes 2 versions of the videos. Just like the Photos 3D (mpo) and 2D (jpg). that should allow us to export them to other places like youtube or facebook. if we can export them, hopefully we can add other videos from other sources just like photos.

on a side note the mp3 player is rather good and has sum hidden games. if you scroll thur the visualizer there is star fox and a game n watch game that r playable.

star fox has an xwing (from the snes game) flying thru rings that match the music. u can blast the ring, but there doesn't seem to be any goal.

game n watch uses the slider pad to move in a 3D space. it's a soccer game were u keep the ball in the air. it's score based and get harder n harder the longer you last. i actually like this one and use it while listen to podcast on break at work. i could have seen nintendo selling this one on the eshop for 1.99 or sumthin.

dimmidice New Member

Message Count:
    Belgium
    the exact opposite so you didnt make a mii and you didnt put music on it. ok! [IMG]