Hacking VERY confused on how to play backups on my "New" 3DS XL ... Any Help??

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadlyRevengexX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SOLVED

Thanks to everyone who helped, and enlightened me!

Will not be creating any backups though, as at first I thought it was totally fine to do as had I purchased everything already, but I was told that it's not actually right to do, so shout out to that person for letting me know! Had absolutely no idea! Thanks again guys for keeping me safe and informed!

Last edited by DeadlyRevengexX,

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DS/DSi backup games require a flashcard, as the ability to play them directly off of the SD card isn't fully functional and the amount of games that can be played is very limited. If you have a 3DS with system version 11.3 or below, follow http://3ds.guide to get custom firmware set up. 11.4 systems without another hacked system or a hardmod are screwed until ntrboothax comes out, which will require a DS flashcard. Read through the guide first before you attempt it. Afterwards, you'll want to find 3DS games in .cia format, which you will then install to your system with FBI (which you will install when you follow 3ds.guide). I've seen people use 128 gb cards, but any cards above 32 gb will need to be formatted to FAT32 using an external formatter such as guiformat.

Last edited by KunoichiZ,
Reactions: Quantumcat

DeadlyRevengexX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DS/DSi backup games require a flashcard, as the ability to play them directly off of the SD card isn't fully functional and the amount of games that can be played is very limited. If you have a 3DS with system version 11.3 or below, follow http://3ds.guide to get custom firmware set up. 11.4 systems without another hacked system or a hardmod are screwed until ntrboothax comes out, which will require a DS flashcard. Read through the guide first before you attempt it. Afterwards, you'll want to find 3DS games in .cia format, which you will then install to your system with FBI (which you will install when you follow 3ds.guide). I've seen people use 128 gb cards, but any cards above 32 gb will need to be formatted to FAT32 using an external formatter such as guiformat.

How would I find the 3DS games in cia format?

Also ah ok! Have you ever seen a larger one be used? Also the card that will hold the backup 3DS games will be placed into the micro sd slot that one that you have to unscrew to get to?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also ah ok! Have you ever seen a larger one be used? Also the card that will hold the backup 3DS games will be placed into the micro sd slot that one that you have to unscrew to get to?

Also, so basically I should just buy a 11.3 new 3ds XL correct? Where can I find them new? Are they available in store for that price?

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Also, so basically I should just buy a 11.3 new 3ds XL correct? Where can I find them new? Are they available in store for that price?
There's a couple of ways:
A) Use freeShop and use the QR code for the encTitleKeys.bin from "that title keys site" (it's against the rules to link to it)
B) Download them straight from "that iso site" (you'll need an account there to download games, and it's also against the rules to link to it)
C) Or use FBI's Remote Install->Scan QR Code function to install the QR codes for individual games found on that title keys site.

And yes, to an extent see above. The ones downloaded from that iso site can be placed on your SD card that is in your system, while the games obtained from that title keys site and freeShop will install directly onto your 3DS.

New systems (except the new 2DS coming out in the US next month) should still be on 11.3 or below. Wherever you can buy a new 3DS should have them new.

DeadlyRevengexX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A) Use freeShop and use the QR code for the encTitleKeys.bin from "that title keys site" (it's against the rules to link to it)
B) Download them straight from "that iso site" (you'll need an account there to download games, and it's also against the rules to link to it)
C) Or use FBI's Remote Install->Scan QR Code function to install the QR codes for individual games found on that title keys site.

And yes, to an extent see above. The ones downloaded from that iso site can be placed on your SD card that is in your system, while the games obtained from that title keys site and freeShop will install directly onto your 3DS.

New systems (except the new 2DS coming out in the US next month) should still be on 11.3 or below. Wherever you can buy a new 3DS should have them new.

So it's not wise to download anything from the free shop then.. wouldn't your 3ds run out of space fast? What is a QR code, and what is a title key?

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it's not wise to download anything from the free shop then.. wouldn't your 3ds run out of space fast? What is a QR code, and what is a title key?
A QR code is an image that usually redirects you to a URL that you can with a camera, usually on your phone, but in this case, you scan it with your 3DS's camera. You can still download things from freeShop. A lot of people do actually. I cannot give you a proper description of a title key, but someone else can.

DeadlyRevengexX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Ah ok! So every system other than the new 2ds xl is still 11.3 currently no matter where I buy it from? Well that's good.. Is 11.3 a perfectly fine firmware to mod my new 3ds xl with? Or do I need to go back a few firmwares or something?

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Title key (what you need to know)

a "license" (not accurate, but close enough) for software. Nintendo's eshop checks purchases on client side rather than server side. That means that if you know the title key (a series of digits), you can download games (without paying for them) straight from Nintendo's servers.

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah ok! So every system other than the new 2ds xl is still 11.3 currently no matter where I buy it from? Well that's good.. Is 11.3 a perfectly fine firmware to mod my new 3ds xl with? Or do I need to go back a few firmwares or something?
They should be on 11.3, not that they all are. A galaxy n3DSXL might still come with 11.2 (or whatever firmware it shipped with originally). 11.3 is a fine firmware to get.

DeadlyRevengexX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Title key (what you need to know)

a "license" (not accurate, but close enough) for software. Nintendo's eshop checks purchases on client side rather than server side. That means that if you know the title key (a series of digits), you can download games (without paying for them) straight from Nintendo's servers.

Ah thanks for letting me know what a title key is, I had no idea. haha

They should be on 11.3, not that they all are. A galaxy n3DSXL might still come with 11.2 (or whatever firmware it shipped with originally). 11.3 is a fine firmware to get.

Does the box say what FW is in the DS? Also the galaxy one is so ugly to me. lol You said 11.2 .. if I do get a DS with 11.2 is that ok? or would it be best to upgrade to 11.3?

Reactions: WeedZ

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Free shop is pretty much the standard now. Most of us use it. I'm not sure what size limit the 3ds has for SD cards but I use 64gig. I've seen people use as high as 128. But you'll need to format them to fat32.

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic

Does the box say what FW is in the DS? Also the galaxy one is so ugly to me. lol You said 11.2 .. if I do get a DS with 11.2 is that ok? or would it be best to upgrade to 11.3?
Anything below 11.4 (excluding 8.1 - which is super rare and updatable anyway (with a legit game)) is fine.

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Any firmware 11.3 or below is fine. No, the box will not say what firmware it comes with, but you can Google search the serial number (which is on the box) to find threads (usually on r/3dshacks on reddit) which would display the firmware the system comes with based on the serial number.

DeadlyRevengexX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Free shop is pretty much the standard now. Most of us use it. I'm not sure what size limit the 3ds has for SD cards but I use 64gig. I've seen people use as high as 128. But you'll need to format them to fat32.

So I'm just curious, in free shop can you save the game directly to the sd card?

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Any firmware 11.3 or below is fine. No, the box will not say what firmware it comes with, but you can Google search the serial number (which is on the box) to find threads (usually on r/3dshacks on reddit) which would display the firmware the system comes with based on the serial number.
Technically, 8.1 isn't as good as the others. You can't hack it directly. You need to update with a game card. I know it's so rare that we don't have to worry about them getting that, but I like being accurate.

So I'm just curious, in free shop can you save the game directly to the sd card?
Yes

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Technically, 8.1 isn't as good as the others. You can't hack it directly. You need to update with a game card. I know it's so rare that we don't have to worry about them getting that, but I like being accurate.

Yes
That's true, but who's going to find a n3DSXL with 8.1 in this day and age?

Reactions: WeedZ

DeadlyRevengexX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game installs itself to your SD card when you download it from freeShop, you don't save it to your SD card in .cia format, if that's what you're wondering.
Is the fact that it's not in .cia format a bad thing? Let's say one where to do that and download a game from the free shop that needs to be played online lile smash or something, would one need to download it into their sd card and then connect the sd card to their computer then install a private header to it? or would the public header it comes with be fine? I heard some people have gotten banned using a public header

Trojaner

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
got my Brand New N3DSXL 1-2 month ago with 9.5 shipped ... possible is all at the moment thats not on 11.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9p0iK877W4