Gaming verifying non steam files on steam

eriol33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi guys, I bought lightning returns from steam today. To save time, I have gotten the installation files from alternative way. now my question is, how to make steam verify integrity of the game cache?

I notice that the download folder for LR is here:

steamapps\downloading\345350

I copy pasted the game files to the folder, and verify the game integrity and... nada, nothing happens. I really don't want to download another 15 GB files if I already have them. can someone help me?

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Steam won't verify it, because the "downloading" folder is not the game cache. The game cache is where the game is installed, that's why it won't see them. Downloading folder is where incomplete downloads temporarily go, you can't add stuff and make steam see it.

If you already have the game files, then they are supposed to go in "steamapps/common/gamename" and have a releavant .acf for them as well, in the steamapps folder.

I don't think steam makes one until the game installs, so you will probably have to make your own. I would try putting the files in steamapp/common/gamename, then use this http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=379830692 as a template for your .acf. Change id to 345350 (that's the id for lighting returns), name to "LIGHTNING RETURNS™: FINAL FANTASY® XIII" and install directory to whatever you called the folder and bytes downloaded to something other than 0.

If steam sees it, then you can verify cache and steam will correct any errors in the .acf for you.

Last edited by Armadillo,

eriol33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I changed the "BytesDownloaded" and "BytesDownloaded", but it has not worked yet. can anyone share their manifest file? it would be very helpful.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I changed the "BytesDownloaded" and "BytesDownloaded", but it has not worked yet. can anyone share their manifest file? it would be very helpful.

Just checking, you did change the game id as well? and the folder name it's installed to? Also the .acf itself needs the correct id as well in the name, so for lighting returns the file needs to be appmanifest_345350.acf.

If you've done all that, then yeah, you'll need the original .acf, some games unfortunetly won't cooperate without the orignal .acf to tell steam it's there :(.

AlanJohn

くたばれ
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
To save time, I have gotten the installation files from alternative way.
What? Steam servers are the fastest. They can max out any download speed easily. Hell, one time when I was experimenting with Linux, I downloaded TF2 again instead of moving it from one HDD partition to the other simply because of how fast the download speed was.

Reactions: Seriel
D

Deleted User

What? Steam servers are the fastest. They can max out any download speed easily. Hell, one time when I was experimenting with Linux, I downloaded TF2 again instead of moving it from one HDD partition to the other simply because of how fast the download speed was.
not to mention steam downloads are lossless.. compared to torrents and other shady methods

D

Deleted User

That makes absolutely no sense. Torrents may download things in pieces, but they too download everything.
in my experience steam downloads have never prematurely ended and corrupted while torrents and regular download methods have cut out a lot and corrupted in the process of being downloaded

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
in my experience steam downloads have never prematurely ended and corrupted while torrents and regular download methods have cut out a lot and corrupted in the process of being downloaded
Torrent pieces can get corrupted and need to be re-downloaded due to verification errors yes, but the download will still be complete in the end.

AlanJohn

くたばれ
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
Torrent pieces can get corrupted and need to be re-downloaded due to verification errors yes, but the download will still be complete in the end.
I've had instances where some pirated material wouldn't work properly and had to be redownloaded, but that was back in the time when uTorrent wasn't a piece of crap. Nowadays most good torrent clients have verification methods but no so much back in the day.

eriol33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
anyway guys, I finally redownloaded the files. took me 4 hours but well that's fine.

the problem is now to find the save file that was created by the non-steam version. man, I should have sticked with steam.

D

Deleted User

I have never ever had that happen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    ?tuw
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yltcaxE
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ¡¡¡ tttoN
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    ssssey ioBtneicnA@
    +1
    :angry: ¡¡¡¡¡ oooooooooooooooooooooooN
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    ?draeh ton uoy evaH
    Gives you "The 🖕 BIRD" :tpi::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:
    +2
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Gives you "The 🖕 BIRD" :tpi::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2: +2