Hacking VC 'romc' Compressor/Decompressor

jurai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
For encoding a rom for use in the latest versions of
the Nintendo 64 Virtual Console emulator. Currently
supported by games such as Cruis'n USA and Kirby 64.

Usage:
Encode a rom to romc format
'romc e input output'

Decode a romc file back to a rom
'romc d input output'

Note:
Although many roms will save space with compression,
Some roms will actually gain space instead of saving
space when compressed due to the algorithm (ex: RE2)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9MJO39BQ

http://www.sendspace.com/file/3scanb

Presumably all future versions of the virtual console will use the compressed variant of storing the rom since it allows them to save some block space on roms which don't utilize all of the rom space and contain alot of padding, though the algorithm they used isn't really 'that' great at compression imo, but is aimed at speed I'm sure.

Reactions: SaulFabre

kaepora

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been trying to inject the Collector's Edition of Majora's Mask into the official MM VC WAD, and the rom needs to be compressed form its full 32MB size to around 27MB (MM VC romc size).
But when I use the compression tool it reduces the rom to a tenth of it's size (32MB to about 3.3MB) - obviously this is too much (or little, you know what I mean). Any idea why?

Reason for doing this: I prefer the CE edition of MM to the original, and I don't want to use the GC disc if I don't have to. Obvious;y if anyone has tried this or has any other thoughts other than the actual problem above, do pipe up.
I've seen Master Quest injection WADs around - presumably ppl managed to pack the GC disc rom into the OoT WAD - was compression involved in that?

Advice on the compression issue would be handy though.

TIA and respect.
bow.gif

stev418

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
RadioSHadow: I dont think its the same, Im still trying hard to find soemone to get the NEW LZH8 on snes roms de-/compression, ive asked around a bit but no luck so far
frown.gif

so if anyone know please reply
smile.gif
it has a similar header as the 'old' LZ77 stuff

eg. 40xxyyzz

where (40) is the compression type and xxyyzz=zzyyxx = decompressed size of file

thats the best i can do myself though

_47iscool

Noticer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could someone please re-upload this program since the other links are dead? I'd like to try 32MB Ocarina MQ Debug ROM with the Majora emulator.

jurai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not sure I have the source for this any longer / if I do I'm not sure which hard drive its on, should I ever find it ill post it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night