Homebrew VBA GX Update

Tantric

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi All,

Awhile back I migrated everything from Google Code to GitHub. I've merged in (hopefully) all of the changes from the last 4 years since I last put out a release. Thanks to Zopenko for picking up the torch as well and continuing to support the emulator.

I've rolled it all up into a new release. Please try it out and post feedback here, or better yet submit a pull request if you have changes.

Latest Release: https://github.com/dborth/vbagx/releases
Changelog: https://github.com/dborth/vbagx/blob/master/readme.txt

Enjoy!

Shawn ShyGuy

Trophies
Website
discord.gg
XP
Country
United States
Hey, if you're still toying with VBAGX, could you try implementing the use of the GBA-GC link cable? I'd love to play GBA games, with my GBA. Reading ROMs over the link cable would be an amazing plus, but I'm not sure how possible that is.

Oh, and same thing for FCEUX, too, perhaps. extra controller option, all the buttons are there.

HeavyMetalLoser

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How far along is it in terms of speed? How long until it can run Metroid: Zero Mission at 60FPS?

On a related note, in Pokemon FireRed I get a stable 30+ FPS, but FPS drops dramatically when saving or loading a state, and returns to normal when the screen changes. Anyone have an explanation for why this happens?

InfiniteBlue

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice. It looks like most of these changes were usability enhancements, were there any performance improvements? Also, what's the reason for removing the GUI sound?

Last edited by InfiniteBlue,

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
How far along is it in terms of speed? How long until it can run Metroid: Zero Mission at 60FPS?
You would have to optimize it.

Nice. It looks like most of these changes were usability enhancements, were there any performance improvements? Also, what's the reason for removing the GUI sound?
Improves performance.

Hi All,

Awhile back I migrated everything from Google Code to GitHub. I've merged in (hopefully) all of the changes from the last 4 years since I last put out a release. Thanks to Zopenko for picking up the torch as well and continuing to support the emulator.

I've rolled it all up into a new release. Please try it out and post feedback here, or better yet submit a pull request if you have changes.

Enjoy!
Thanks, it is nice to keep using this after all these years, with nice little improvements. I'll be definitely testing this =)

Last edited by niuus,

kid sampson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm always afraid to update the apps I have because I don't know all the project forks. Does this include WiiU controller support?

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I'm always afraid to update the apps I have because I don't know all the project forks. Does this include WiiU controller support?
Working fine.

Okey, so far the only thing i have seen missing is the ability to choose Game Boy Advance and Super Game Boy 2 as emulation machines, inside Settings > Emulation > Hardware, which was present in the last Zopenko build. You can test it by using Shantae (GBA Enhanced) or Tetris DX (different border when used with SGB and SGB2).

Tantric

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am getting a code dump when entering Settings. Compiling directly from the source.

I'm assuming that isn't happening to you on my build (which was also from the latest source?)

Take your elf, and use addr2line to get the offending line # by plunking in the addresses from the STACK DUMP line with all the --> in between

eg:

C:\devkitPro\devkitPPC\bin\powerpc-eabi-addr2line.exe -e C:\vbagx_wii.elf 8001cd0d 8001c0d3 80014348

This will spit out something you can actually use.

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I'm assuming that isn't happening to you on my build (which was also from the latest source?)

Take your elf, and use addr2line to get the offending line # by plunking in the addresses from the STACK DUMP line with all the --> in between

eg:

C:\devkitPro\devkitPPC\bin\powerpc-eabi-addr2line.exe -e C:\vbagx_wii.elf 8001cd0d 8001c0d3 80014348

This will spit out something you can actually use.
Oh, the code dump is not with the binary posted, just when recompiling from source. Using devkitPPC r26 and tried with liboGC 1.8.11, .12 and .14, they all give me the DSI error. I am not a coder, more of an enthusiast type, learning a bit in the process, so i do not understand much of your solution, but i am thankful anyway. At least SNES9x Gx nor FCEU Gx do not give me problems when recompiling, for now =)

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi All,

Enjoy!

2.3.6? Are we missing something? :blink:

marmalade

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im running into a very particular problem in VBA-GX and FCEUX-GX, where I get a "Out of memory: too many files!" error
this happens because I open up a folder that has 3,000 or more files in it

however, in SNES-GX this error does not occur with the same large folders, indicating there is freer memory in that emulator

I think menu music/sound is only just disabled in VBA-GX and FCEUX-GX, but completely removing those things may free up memory and cause those memory errors to stop occurring, aswell possibly help the GameCube build to run better

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey, if you're still toying with VBAGX, could you try implementing the use of the GBA-GC link cable? I'd love to play GBA games, with my GBA. Reading ROMs over the link cable would be an amazing plus, but I'm not sure how possible that is.

Oh, and same thing for FCEUX, too, perhaps. extra controller option, all the buttons are there.
Using a file transfer method with dreadful bandwidth (seriously, dump a GBA ROM with this tool and see how long it takes) for a game that expects to be directly mapped to the ARM7's memory bank (The secret to the fast load times of old cartridges is that they didn't need to load most of the time) is kind of doomed to fail. Even if it had infinite bandwidth, you would still need to patch the games.

Using a GBA as a controller is a lot more reasonable. Using the link cable to connect a GBA as a multiplayer participant would be absolutely amazing. Doubly so if you can also use VBA-M's netcode to connect a real GBA. (If that's too taxing on the poor Wii, maybe it could just run the netcode, so it can be used purely as an adapter to connect a GBA to a separate emulator instance.)
Of course, that's a bit above both my skill and the time I have to learn new skills. It's just fanboyish gushing at the potential possibilities.

Reactions: Shawn ShyGuy

TheThief

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the update. I was surprised to boot VBAGX, see an update prompt, then get on these forums and find out it the original author made some changes. I still rock these emulators and WiiMC frequently. Thanks again Tantric.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask...