Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
VVVBROM.png

Vanguard V is a fast paced 3rd person 3D shooter on rails that is being planned for Virtual Reality headsets. Currently the developers have said that the game will come to Mobile, PS4, Windows, Mac, and Linux. You may be wondering why this game is receiving a mention on our front page, it is due to their highest priced stretch goal, a Nintendo Virtual Boy port. According to a reply from the project leader, not only are they serious about this goal but they already have a working prototype. Sources close to myself have revealed e-mails sent on behalf of the Virtual Boy community asking for a more reasonable stretch goal price. They have cited such things as the VB Sacred Tech Scroll, the Virtual-Environment (VIDE) complete coding environment, and community reproduction efforts as a means to help achieve this request.

The current stretch goal seems unobtainable. While those behind the project are perhaps recognizing the VB as a spiritual predecessor to modern VR, they do not seem to be taking a VB version of their game seriously. Perhaps the influx of e-mails from the VB community will change their mind. There remains a chance, extremely slight as it were, that a new VB game could be released.

:arrow: Source

drakorex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You mean we could have a brand new, state of the art fps playable in low res, eye burning, hedache inducing, red and black, wire frame spledor? Where do I sign?

Reactions: aaronz77

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
1. it isn't a FPS, its a 3rd person shooter on rails. i guess you just couldn't wait to bash the VB and so you didn't even read the post?
2. it would be "low res" as you put it because it would be running on a retro console -- dummy.
3. it doesn't burn your eyes. red is a soothing combination in darkness.
4. headache claims are greatly exaggerated and most probably due to improper alignment. stop believing the slander you read on the internet.
5. who said anything about wireframe? yes the VB was designed for wireframe yet the commercial games proved that pseudo-3d through pixel art and the VB's parallax effect provided excellent immersive 3D experiences.
6. you can sign up for school because you need to learn a thing or two.

why do you bother turning a post about a retro game into your ridiculous soapbox? because you didn't enjoy the VB, everyone must not enjoy the VB, and therefor news of a possible new VB game should not hit the web? time and time again news articles are attacked with sullied comments that have no place in the discussion. you pointed out nothing that was relevant to the topic and have only ended up making yourself look immature and ignorant.

thanks for being "that guy" in yet another topic of interest that will now surly be completely derailed.

-another world

drakorex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. it isn't a FPS, its a 3rd person shooter on rails. i guess you just couldn't wait to bash the VB and so you didn't even read the post?
2. it would be "low res" as you put it because it would be running on a retro console -- dummy.
3. it doesn't burn your eyes. red is a soothing combination in darkness.
4. headache claims are greatly exaggerated and most probably due to improper alignment. stop believing the slander you read on the internet.
5. who said anything about wireframe? yes the VB was designed for wireframe yet the commercial games proved that pseudo-3d through pixel art and the VB's parallax effect provided excellent immersive 3D experiences.
6. you can sign up for school because you need to learn a thing or two.

why do you bother turning a post about a retro game into your ridiculous soapbox? because you didn't enjoy the VB, everyone must not enjoy the VB, and therefor news of a possible new VB game should not hit the web? time and time again news articles are attacked with sullied comments that have no place in the discussion. you pointed out nothing that was relevant to the topic and have only ended up making yourself look immature and ignorant.

thanks for being "that guy" in yet another topic of interest that will now surly be completely derailed.

-another world
My apologies, sir. I read the article thoroughly, I meant to hit T instead of F. Plus I was typing on my Wii U as I was in the bathroom, and turned it off without proofreading. Whoopsie. Daisy.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
This game isn't even going to hit its normal goal, so I don't feel this really matters. Most funding tends to come within the first week or so of the project going up. The fact that they're still nowhere near their original goal around 10 days in means this project isn't going to get funded.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I admire the balls of the team that would be able to do this if they do indeed reach this stretch goal. That said, I would rather just emulate a VB with a screen that won't hurt my eyes.

I wish I was joking about this, but I can say with certainty that the Virtual Boy proper always did cause a headache when store kiosks had them available for people like me to try. Which is all the stranger because I can see the 3D effect on a 3DS's screen with no problem.

Actually, a VB emulator for the 3DS would not be a bad idea... I do know that there were a few games that interested me enough, but not nearly enough to buy one for myself, especially with the actual system's limitations.

Also, was it the VB or was it the R-Zone that had that design fault where half the action buttons were effectively non-functional?

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
I read an article that discussed the failed marketing attempts on behalf of Nintendo. Many kiosks were damaged or not working properly. There is speculation that those systems never had their alignment tests completed. Most of those units were considered "demo" units, which really meant they were the pre-production units. I wish I could go back in time and run the diagnostic test (Left, B, Down, A, Up) on store units just to see if the theory has merit. The fact is, no one really knows, but I would wager that your headaches were due to improperly aligned mirrors (and not the focus slider or IPD knob).

I never used the R-Zone. I can say that I've never used a VB controller that had any button problems.

-Another World

Reactions: Hargrun

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all