• Cryptocurrency Warning:
    The risks of trading cryptocurrencies are mainly related to its volatility. They are high-risk and speculative and it is important that you understand the risks before you start trading. They are volatile: unexpected changes in market sentiment can lead to sharp and sudden moves in price.
    Please be aware that any information provided here can be the opinion of the author. Trade at your own risk.

uTorrent (may) Silent Install Crypto Currency Miner

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Don't know what's worse: People who use an outdated version and insecure or the latest version of uTorrent. They're both rotten.

What do you mean with insecure?
It's not a antivirus that we are talking about... ..if it downloads torrents well and is not full of bloatware, then it does all it should. No need to fix what is not broken, and v2.1.1 afaik is not.

Reactions: Pluupy

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
What do you mean with insecure?
It's not a antivirus that we are talking about... ..if it downloads torrents well and is not full of bloatware, then it does all it should. No need to fix what is not broken, and v2.1.1 afaik is not.

Most likely it is vulnerable to buffer overruns and other exploits making it possible to infect anyone running it simply by sending specially crafted packets and such. You know, kind of like how Twilight Hack works and many of the PSP hacks (before they figured out the signing keys) as well?

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Most likely it is vulnerable to buffer overruns and other exploits
um.. interesting.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to comment on that though. Don't know how much likely it is for those possible vulnerabilities to be triggered on older utorrent versions

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I do occasionally glance at changelogs of the torrent clients but tprrents past about 2008 is not really my thing as torrents are too annoying and insecure for me to bother to use.

Most of the security issues I see are more anonymity issues; I recall one where a side effect of a protocol might have bypassed a proxy/vpn, more commonly it is things like slightly revised protocols (the original protocol was fairly plaintext, a later revision encrypted the headers to dodge certain types of torrent detection/deep packet inspection (DPI) and today is a bit different again. Old clients may also lack functionality desired by new trackers, features expanded for use with new trackers (trackless/p2p tracker, magnet links and such are all considerably newer than the torrent protocol) and some of the niceties introduced in new clients as far as file management and such.

So yeah you may make the life of the tracker runners harder in some cases, including possibly forcing people to use old protocols to talk to you or you getting booted out of a swarm in the cases of a harsh private tracker, however it is not like running an old web browser or something.

matpower

Messenger from Zero
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
When I saw this I panicked xD just uninstalled it. I have the uTorrent app on my tablet now instead of PC
I would install both qBittorrent in your computer and laptop if I were you, Deluge and Transmission-qt also works fine for desktop (and Deluge got a daemon system so you can run it headless and check via your device)

matpower

Messenger from Zero
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well I've never heard it called mu torrent haha but I guess it's always written out with the letter mu either is correct.

Doesn't micro torrent have a better ring to it though? Maybe I'm just use to it :wacko:
I always called it "You"Torrent, but I guess microTorrent makes sense, since it was a lightweight client back in the day comparated to BitTorrent. :P

Reactions: Dax_Fame

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I always called it "You"Torrent, but I guess microTorrent makes sense, since it was a lightweight client back in the day comparated to BitTorrent. :P
I can't change anymore! I'll call it "You"Torrent till the day I die :P

I even knew that it meant to be microTorrent, but seemed easier to keep considering it as a "u" for some reason.

Reactions: matpower

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
That's really a major misconception. I have 100mbps download and 4mbps upload. I've never once purchased a seedbox. But I'm an elite on IPTorrents, BroadcasTheNet, and What.cd (which is basically the hardest tracker out there). There are tons of freeleech torrents (download doesn't count but upload does) and it's really not too hard to upload your own stuff and maybe fill some requests. It's not hard to get invited if you follow the proper channels and study for interviews. People just aren't willing to put forth the effort to increase their security and the quality and speed of the torrents they download.

That sounds like an awful lot of effort...

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Currently using uTorrent 3.1. Safe? This is the build before the ads and magnet torrents came about. I still use it because the installer is lying in my archive and i hate downloading stuff in terms of these programs. (Using old winamp too)

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
uTorrent 3.1, this is the build before the ads and magnet torrents came about
wut? ...but I use 2.1.1 and it already supports magnet links :unsure:

actually....

Via µTorrent WIKI page:

Magnet Link (URI) Support

Support for Magnet Links (URIs) was added in version 1.8, released on August 9, 2008.[20] Magnet Links were designed as an alternative to traditional tracker torrent files and became popularized when sites such as The Pirate Bay included native support for the format.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't really see the point in updating it tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right, I thought about updating my PS3 CFW to 4.91, but why really, everything plays fine now. I guess for people that have already updated past 4.9 it would be helpful.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Idk if online servers are still active that would be my only thought
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thats true, personally I don't play it online at all, in fact, I deleted all wifi details on it once I installed CFW, so it won't connect and auto-update itself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really only games I play on the PS3 (You know me, I'm more of a Xbox junkie)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps3 really has no titles worth going online over nps is the only reason you'd want wifi
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    what is nps?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, what about GTA v onl... O Yea the PS3 versión got discontinued
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, what about GTA v onl... O Yea the PS3 versión got discontinued