PS1/2 Using original discs with FreeMCBoot?

VintageTorrie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So for a while I've been looking around for SwapMagic but finally given up since every site selling it looks incredibly shady. So after coming across FreeMCBoot, it seems simple enough, I'll just need to go buy a Codebreaker disc.

So 2 questions I have, how would I get an original copy of an American / Japanese copy of a game working on my UK PS2? And is there any specific Codebreaker version I need?

Reactions: Margen67

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
What about ESR patched backups? I haven't tried that.

HDD imports are sort of a chicken and egg problem. Disc region code doesn't really matter once installed, but you need to bypass it first. Such as via flip-top or network.
In any case an NTSC/PAL capable TV is also recommended. It'll save time dealing with video modes.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China

HDD imports are sort of a chicken and egg problem. Disc region code doesn't really matter once installed, but you need to bypass it first. Such as via flip-top or network.
In any case an NTSC/PAL capable TV is also recommended. It'll save time dealing with video modes.

or a rgb cable (i had a scart one for my ps2)

Reactions: Lumstar

VintageTorrie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
What kind of PS2 are we talking about? If you happen to have a Network Adapter and an HDD, you don't really need an exploitable game or a launcher disc. As for what disc is needed (should you go that route), check FreeMCBoot's website for details:
https://web.archive.org/web/20150319091925/http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/fmcb/codebreaker.php

I'm using a slim, specific model being an SCPH-75003 if that makes any sort of difference. I have neither a network adapter or HDD.

Guess I could try that if I have any sort of issue with the Codebreaker method.

There's also another question I should ask, would this work with Japanese / American PS1 games as well when playing them on a PS2? Or would I need to do something to my PS1?

Edit: after looking on ebay and Amazon for Codebreaker 8.1, not finding one, but I do have a copy of From Russia With Love, so I could do that trick, but if I do that, will I need to do that everytime I want to play an import, or just the once?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Since this is a Slim PS2, swapping isn't a problem - there's homebrew that allows you to stop the motor of the drive at any time, it's child's play. All you need to do is restrict the disc tray sensors, they're clearly exposed. Unlike with the classic model you don't need any swap key or boot disc to do this.

VintageTorrie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Since this is a Slim PS2, swapping isn't a problem - there's homebrew that allows you to stop the motor of the drive at any time, it's child's play. All you need to do is restrict the disc tray sensors, they're clearly exposed. Unlike with the classic model you don't need any swap key or boot disc to do this.

How would I go about doing either of those then? Any particularly good guide avaliable?

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For free mcBoot, you can also just go ahead and install cogswaploader or cd/dvd loader on your memory card and use that to boot your imports. In fact, I know that Freemcboot comes with certain homebrew apps by default (can't remember what they are off hand), but you might already have a loader that will work. You will still need to use a swap trick regardless, but as Foxi4 has already stated, on the slim consoles, its easy as pie :P. As for guides for the sensors, just google it. I own the fat model myself so I can't really help you there, but there a zillions of tutorials on youtube and google in general :P.

Reactions: RLS89ZX

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Not in my country, component can go up to 1080i, scart only SD. VGA is almost the same as component.

people still don't get what i mean.
both component cable scart and vga, are rgb cables, because all of them transfer separated colours. unlike a rca yellow cable plug of s-video.

this is what i meant with rgb cable. a type of cable that has a red green and blue channels.

DaFixer

Dare to be stupid
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ow say it then in the first place, yes the color singals are separated.
But with component and SVGA (yes Super VGA and not VGA what 99% what the world say) you get beter picture then RGB scart.
And that is what I try to say.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn