Hardware Using Micro SD's with M.Stick ProDuo Adapter

Vladimir

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Are there any consequences of using Micro SD's memory cards with a ProDuo adapter?
I bought a PSP for $50 and it came with two 4GB Micro SD cards inside an adapter. Can this cause any type of slowdowns on emulators, PSX or PSP games?

Should i go that way? or should i get an original Memory stick?

Thanks in advance. It's one of these btw.
PhotoFast.jpg

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
Since it doesn't have MagicGate, I don't think all themes are supported.
Also, once you put the MicroSD's in their positions, you cannot switch them around or you will have to reformat.
Other than that, they work in the same speed provided with the mSD's.

OSpencerO

Trophies
From Nashville, Tennessee In Knoxville, Tennessee
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm currently using a PhotoFast CR-5400 with 2 SanDisk Mobile Ultra 16GB microSD cards to create a 32GB MemoryStick Pro Duo card.
It is actually a lot faster than my 8GB, 2GB & 1GB SanDisk Gaming MemoryStick Pro Duo cards.
It is also faster than my 1GB, 4GB, 8GB Sony MemoryStick Pro Duo Mark2 cards.
In fact, The only MemoryStick Pro Duo cards that I have that are faster "not by much" is a 16GB Sony Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo HX & a 8GB Lexar Platinum II.

If you have any slow downs you can just replace the 2 microSD cards with 2 class 10 Transcend microSD cards inexpensively.
I doubt very seriously that you will ever see any slow downs with emulators that are caused by the speed of the card.
You might see some slow downs on games with heavy graphics like Grand Theft Auto - Vice City Stories but I've never seen that happen with mine.
I also compress my iso files to cso.

As far as having MemoryStick Pro Duo card that supports MagicGate you could always buy a cheap 1-2GB MemoryStick Pro Duo.
Typically, You only need a MemoryStick Pro Duo card that supports MagicGate for applying some themes or making a magic memory stick for modifying or unbricking your PSP.

You can also test the speed of your cards using BlackSPEED v2 on a PSP or Flash Memory Toolkit on a Windows PC.

I really like my PhotoFast CR-5400 & think it was a good investment, "32GB" if you would like more information on your PhotoFast CR-5400 check out this link.
http://www.photofast.tw/products.asp?pid=79
It will tell you more about your PhotoFast CR-5400 & also give you an idea of whether or not your PhotoFast CR-5400 is genuine.

Spencer

:yaypsp:

Reactions: 2 people

Vladimir

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm currently using a PhotoFast CR-5400 with 2 SanDisk Mobile Ultra 16GB microSD cards to create a 32GB MemoryStick Pro Duo card.
It is actually a lot faster than my 8GB, 2GB & 1GB SanDisk Gaming MemoryStick Pro Duo cards.
It is also faster than my 1GB, 4GB, 8GB Sony MemoryStick Pro Duo Mark2 cards.
In fact, The only MemoryStick Pro Duo cards that I have that are faster "not by much" is a 16GB Sony Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo HX & a 8GB Lexar Platinum II.

If you have any slow downs you can just replace the 2 microSD cards with 2 class 10 Transcend microSD cards inexpensively.
I doubt very seriously that you will ever see any slow downs with emulators that are caused by the speed of the card.
You might see some slow downs on games with heavy graphics like Grand Theft Auto - Vice City Stories but I've never seen that happen with mine.
I also compress my iso files to cso.

As far as having MemoryStick Pro Duo card that supports MagicGate you could always buy a cheap 1-2GB MemoryStick Pro Duo.
Typically, You only need a MemoryStick Pro Duo card that supports MagicGate for applying some themes or making a magic memory stick for modifying or unbricking your PSP.

You can also test the speed of your cards using BlackSPEED v2 on a PSP or Flash Memory Toolkit on a Windows PC.

I really like my PhotoFast CR-5400 & think it was a good investment, "32GB" if you would like more information on your PhotoFast CR-5400 check out this link.
http://www.photofast...ucts.asp?pid=79
It will tell you more about your PhotoFast CR-5400 & also give you an idea of whether or not your PhotoFast CR-5400 is genuine.

Spencer

Whoa, thanks everyone for your answers, especially to Spencer for his very in-depth answer!. I'm gonna use that Blackspeed thingy to test my cards. Thanks to everyone!

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Whoa, thanks everyone for your answers, especially to Spencer for his very in-depth answer!. I'm gonna use that Blackspeed thingy to test my cards. Thanks to everyone!

I'd take that with an extreme pinch of salt. I highly doubt everything in Spencer's post is 100% accurate for everyone, and if it is then his Pro Duo's must mostly be awful. Also speed tests with PSXReality are better as they provide more data.

Reactions: 1 person

OSpencerO

Trophies
From Nashville, Tennessee In Knoxville, Tennessee
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
:psp: :psp: :psp: You're Welcome, Vladimir! :psp: :psp: :psp:

I just tried PSXReality Memory Stick Tester v1.0 for the first time & it is better than BlackSpeed v2.
Thank You, xist! - I don't know how I over looked PSXReality Memory Stick Tester for so long.

I totally agree with xist about my post not being 100% accurate for everyone.
In fact, Everyone will have different experience with the PhotoFast CR-5400 because the speed almost solely depends on the microSD cards being used.

I think that the reason I'm having good luck with the PhotoFast CR-5400 is because of the microSD cards that I'm using.
Hopefully, My MemoryStick Pro Duo cards aren't mostly awful. :gba:

Spencer

Un4tural

Trophies
XP
Country
well since this post is here, there is the list of things to look out on fake photofasts, theres loads of them on ebay etc. but some of them got the slots cut-outs etc. some don't... from what i understand they need to not have the cut outs in red circles?

i assume this is a fake http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Photofast-CR-5400-Micro-SD-TF-MS-Pro-Duo-adapter-/260575182060?pt=Video_Game_Memory_Cards&hash=item3cab7dbcec though quite cheaep

this one looks legit http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Photofast-2-Micro-SD-TF-Pro-Duo-Adapter-CR-5400-UK-/320826729025?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameAccessories_VideoGameAccessories_JN&hash=item4ab2c36241

but i can't really know... there are some on amazon as well, but they want quite a bit more than ebay...

also does it use micro SDs in a raid setup? or just fills one up and moves on to next?

Vladimir

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It seems i have a legit adapter :D. I ran Memory stick tester, and this was the result:
result1342012114250.png

The first one is an 8 GB Kingston Class 4 C08G from Taiwan.
The other one is a 1 GB Sandisk, and that's all i know about that one :( (the info printed on the card is very faded)

What do you think 'bout my Read & Write speed? is it ok?

Un4tural

Trophies
XP
Country
It seems i have a legit adapter :D. I ran Memory stick tester, and this was the result:
result1342012114250.png

The first one is an 8 GB Kingston Class 4 C08G from Taiwan.
The other one is a 1 GB Sandisk, and that's all i know about that one :( (the info printed on the card is very faded)

What do you think 'bout my Read & Write speed? is it ok?

strangely, from my funky fluorescent transparent SanDisk memorystick i got just 5mb/s write, and a whopping 16mb/s read for the big files, which is like WOW o.O a pretty huge gap between the two, as with most SD cards the read is faster by roughly a third...

anyways i got my 2 cheap chinese microSD to MS Pro Duo adapters, one of which is a black Photofast CR-5400 ripoff. other one is single slot sd to pro duo adapter. got em off dealextreme, only two they had in stock i believe.

RetroVortex

Trophies
XP
Country
I think I might have a fake one, (unbranded at least), but it appears to work alright for me.
(I bought it from Amazon)

I got 2 32gb Class 4 Sandisks in it, and when formatted it came up with 60gb already.

Also I've loaded about 50gb of data on there no problem.

Got loads of music and backed up games, (some of PSN, some I ripped of games I bought used (PSP games are cheap as chips these days! XD))

Its a bit slow though, but thats probably due to the class 4 memory cards than the adapter itself.

Considering upgrading to class 10s the next time they go on sale, but for now I am very happy.
(I just wished Sony software wasn't so fussy with Mp3s (I got all my music to work with the built-in mp3 player, but then SensMe skips over some of my music... Bah! Fiddly little thing)

I got a Thrustmaster Battery Grip (+ battery saving plugins), and once my 3rd party remote comes (the thing you plug into the headphone port, then you plug your headphones into), it will be the ultimate portable game & media player! XD

Rasas

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I rather go with a official card but if people get faster speeds depending on the microsds go for it. They are cheaper and you can get more then a 32gb card as said above.

Lexar 32gb for 55.
I use it not the fastest and only has 29.6gb but is good all around.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002RL8UQ6/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

eastbayarb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had an official dual microSD adapter back when I had a PSP 1000 and ran emus and ISOs and had no issues. My cards were sandisk class 10

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs