Hardware Using a old GB programmer on a computer without parallel port

Videomanman87

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I am sure some of you will remember the old GB Emerger by Netmars, a nice backup system for GB and GBC games. I dusted mine off and the ecard battery went dry so I am replacing it then I would like to reload my game saves that I backed up to a hard drive awhile back. The device has a parallel port on the back to hook it up to a computer (though for basic functions you don't need it), which is great, IF you have a computer with said port. Many computers these days don't. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck using Emerger (or another parallel port programmer) with a USB to parallel port adapter? In my case I would be using either virtual box or virtual PC for the actual software, as this software won't run on a newer OS either. It might run on win2000 but I have my doubts.

Anyway I thought I would ask here about adapters before I went out and bought one.

draxoon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Parallel to USB adapters won't work since they don't provide full port emulation (only work with printers).

Your best bet will be buying old notebook (from late 90's or early 00's) with parallel port. It shouldn't be too expensive.
There are also PCI parallel interfaces, although I'm not sure if they'll work with modern PCs (old OS required).

Videomanman87

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Parallel to USB adapters won't work since they don't provide full port emulation (only work with printers).

Your best bet will be buying old notebook (from late 90's or early 00's) with parallel port. It shouldn't be too expensive.
There are also PCI parallel interfaces, although I'm not sure if they'll work with modern PCs (old OS required).

I was afraid of that, but I was hoping that somewhere there was a true emulated adapter, strange that one has not come out. There is a lot of hardware that was/is tied to the parallel port. I think even some dongles for really expensive software also use the parallel port.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.