Hacking Use Flashcarts with Pokebank/Poketransfer [THEORY]

xcrimsonstormx

He called me a Nerd, I called him an Ambulance.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've had this idea about how to make most if not all 3DS compatible flashcarts compatible with Pokebank/Poketransfer, but I have no coding skills or the knowledge to do so. So maybe someone else can. Here is my theory, the R4i Gold 3DS uses small parts of random(usually obscure japanese) games to make it recognizable with the 3DS. I don't even think it is an exploit just the simple startup file, but I don't know what files/ exploits they use. Now my theory is what if we take those same files, and except use the files from Pokemon White 2 or Black 2. That way the 3DS would recognize the flashcart as Pokemon White or Black 2, thus allowing us to us the flashcart with Pokemon Black or White 2. Now this maybe a stupid or impractical idea, and there might not be a way to do it. I figured I would just share my idea here. Sorry if this is a stupid idea that can't happen I figured it might start some ideas on making flashcarts Pokebank compatible, and if this idea can't be implemented could someone explain why.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The even simpler way is to just buy a legal copy of the game. You can use your flash card to edit the .sav files, then just use Wood Dumper Wifi to overwrite the real cart's save with that save.

But long story short, I'm 99.999% sure that won't work. I tried a DSTWO (shows up as Alex Rider Operation Stormbreaker) and my actual legit Alex Rider game... they showed up as two different games in the software library.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
well that could just be if the flash card uses a different version of alex rider i.e Eu and american........but anyways their is 1 big issue, the DS flashcards load the saves from the SD card, pokebank would want to read the save directly from the card......so even if you did somehow manage to use a pokemon game as a basis for a card, you still don't have access to the save until you load the flash card up

xcrimsonstormx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The even simpler way is to just buy a legal copy of the game. You can use your flash card to edit the .sav files, then just use Wood Dumper Wifi to overwrite the real cart's save with that save.

Yes, well this method would before people who don't have access to a legit cart, or for people who don't have the game. (Yes I now how lazy that sounds lol.)

pokebank would want to read the save directly from the card......so even if you did somehow manage to use a pokemon game as a basis for a card, you still don't have access to the save until you load the flash card up

Yes, I did think about that when looking up info about this, would putting the .sav file on the root of the USB change anything? And if not, how does the 3DS/Pokebank read saves? Maybe we can replicate that onto a flashcart some how?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Yes, well this method would before people who don't have access to a legit cart, or for people who don't have the game. (Yes I now how lazy that sounds lol.)

Yes, I did think about that when looking up info about this, would putting the .sav file on the root of the USB change anything? And if not, how does the 3DS/Pokebank read saves? Maybe we can replicate that onto a flashcart some how?

basically at this point your developing and manufacturing an entire 3ds compatible flash card for the sake of a £20 game, not trying to be a douche....just that if the cart deals with saves one way, it would require being built from the ground up to more closely replicate a genuine cart, which is overkill for the situation in all fairness

aXXo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no coding skills or the knowledge to do so...
While I'm glad you actually stated this, you have to realize that while it's easy to come up with "ideas" of how something might work the way you want it to, it gets really frustrating for someone who does understand the coding and the theory behind the device when random people just assume a little tweaking of some magical "code" is all that is needed to get anything that they want done. I would probably compare you to those people who want to play Xbox 360 games on their PC, but you are clearly smarter than that, so I won't insult your intelligence.

As for your "solution", the Flashcart is actually very different from a traditional gamecart in that it has its own unique hardware/software solution to trick the 3DS into thinking it's a regular game. Changing the flashcart code so it appears as a legitimate BW2 cartridge will not allow the Pokebank application to read the save file located on the microusb, or even read the unique hardware of the flashcart, since it's completely different from the genuine article. The 3DS will think it's a genuine pokemon game on the outside (by the identifier code on the flashcart), but when it pokes deeper to try to verify that it's legitimate, it will find a very illegitimate flashcart.

xcrimsonstormx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As for your "solution", the Flashcart is actually very different from a traditional gamecart in that it has its own unique hardware/software solution to trick the 3DS into thinking it's a regular game. Changing the flashcart code so it appears as a legitimate BW2 cartridge will not allow the Pokebank application to read the save file located on the microusb, or even read the unique hardware of the flashcart, since it's completely different from the genuine article. The 3DS will think it's a genuine pokemon game on the outside (by the identifier code on the flashcart), but when it pokes deeper to try to verify that it's legitimate, it will find a very illegitimate flashcart.

Thank you for that, I'm glad to see that someone could finally lay that idea to rest, I wish this weren't the case though. Anyways thanks for the informal response. It's dissapointing, but also spurrs the brain to think of more ideas, now I have one other question. Is there any chance that we could somehow potentially spoof our flashcarts .sav files to appear legit?

While I'm glad you actually stated this, you have to realize that while it's easy to come up with "ideas" of how something might work the way you want it to, it gets really frustrating for someone who does understand the coding and the theory behind the device when random people just assume a little tweaking of some magical "code" is all that is needed to get anything that they want done. I would probably compare you to those people who want to play Xbox 360 games on their PC, but you are clearly smarter than that, so I won't insult your intelligence.

I must say in all honesty I have attempted to play 360 games on my PC, it didn't work out to well. Lol :sad:

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well that could just be if the flash card uses a different version of alex rider i.e Eu and american........but anyways their is 1 big issue, the DS flashcards load the saves from the SD card, pokebank would want to read the save directly from the card......so even if you did somehow manage to use a pokemon game as a basis for a card, you still don't have access to the save until you load the flash card up

I have the USA version (legit cart)... no idea what DSTWO uses but I'd love to know, anyone with a European copy who can test?

I'm pretty sure they show up differently, at any rate.

Seriously, tl;dr just buy a copy of the game. You don't even need B/W2, I only use White version and it works fine with Poké Transporter (though apparently Dream Radar only works with B2/W2, grr, I do own both but haven't even started a game in either)
I use my flash cart for Pokémon hacking as it's easier than constant save dump/rewrite, but if you want to use Transporter just inject the save onto the real cart.

aXXo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for that, I'm glad to see that someone could finally lay that idea to rest, I wish this weren't the case though. Anyways thanks for the informal response. It's dissapointing, but also spurrs the brain to think of more ideas, now I have one other question. Is there any chance that we could somehow potentially spoof our flashcarts .sav files to appear legit?
The .sav files ARE legit and properly encrypted, the problem is that there is no way that the Pokebank will be able to physically read the files because of the vastly different hardware and software the flashcarts have compared to a legitimate card. So, no, there is no way to get Pokebank to read your Pokemon BW2 .sav files, and there never will be using current hardware. If they ever get to releasing a vastly different DS card (which I seriously doubt), then they could probably find a hardware solution and be able to trick Pokebank, at least until Nintendo blocks it after an update, or stops accepting BW2 pokemon in Pokebank.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended