Hacking USBLoader gx - Is it possible to manually organize channels?

klouud

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys!

I couldn't find the answer to this question...

I pretty much have everything modded and set up the way I want!
I boot directly into USBLoader gx v3.0 upon power on and go back to it if I choose "Wii Menu" after hitting home button!

I would like to completely replace USBLoader gx as my Wii menu - but I need to know if it is possible to:

**manually arrange channels in USBLoader gx
(outside of the defaults set in the options at the top of the screen)

thanx!

tim

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Short answer : No, it's not currently possible, and will not be added.
I once explained the problem which such features will create.
I'll copy/paste it here:
Imagine I add the ability to move the banners on the Channel Layout. I can add the option, it will require a file which store the Titles order.

The current system let you sort games by Names/favorite level/number of player/etc.
I suppose that to prevent the automatic re-sort it should be a new option "User" in the sort list.

So, if it's a new sorting method, it will be available on all Layout (List/wall/carousel/channel).
How would you sort the games on the non-channel layout? I guess it shouldn't be limited to Channel layout as it's available everywhere.

So, let's Imagine I will also add the ability to move the titles on these layouts (grab/move, or move up/down one by one?).
Some layers will have more problem than others to move the pages while holding the game. But, ok, let's imagine that it's done and easy to move :)

What will happen of the empty slots?
You know, you don't need to put a Title in every adjacent locations, you can have a lot of empty slots between each titles on the channel layout.
These empty slot would need to be reflected on all layouts too, or else it's too un-user friendly to select the position to move these Titles on other layouts. We can ignore them completely, but it's not the solution (because of the problem I'll explain next).

It would become too unfriendly for something which should be used by people from all ages.
We already have users complaining about the current difficulty of the loader.
So, we limit the reorder feature to the Channel Layout only.

If it's only for Channel layout:
When you switch to List/wall/carousel layout, would the order carried away? or reseted? as it's not possible to order them in these layout, switching back and forth is not the easier solution to move a game.
But, let's keep the solution that the user need to switch the layout to move games.

If you have 500+ games (yes, some users have that many games!), while grabbing a channel how many screen would you have to switch until you find an empty place? we are not talking about 48 slots like the System menu, but infinite pages.
You can imagine yourself placing the channels where you want manually? that's a new game by itself!

Let's (again) imagine that you don't have hundreds of games, but only 40 titles (easily reached with channel, gamecube, wii)

You prepare your Wii Title disposition and are happy with it.

Now, you want to search for "Mario". Will it hide the other channels without moving the Mario games? (please, scroll all pages yourself to find your games!), or better way is to temporarily regroup the channels without leaving spaces.
It will prevent you from moving a channel on a hidden Title location, but you can't use the search feature to reorder your games easily.

Search feature is not the only problem:
The loader let you Display/Hide games permanently (not on temporary search string) based on:
- Parental Control
- Origin (Wii, GameCube, Channel, EmuNAND)
- Category
- Favorite switch

With the Origin System, you can decide to display only Wii Games.
You start sorting them like you want.
Then you decide to display only GameCube Games, and again you sort them like you want.
What would happen if you decide to display both Wii and Gamecube games at the same time?
How will the loader decide the channel location when a game will share the same location information for two different Title?

We move one of the conflicted Titles (There can be a lot on the same spot), on the first free slot? It would be a catastrophe as your ordering is now all broken! it's in random order, even worse than a simple "sort alphabetically" or "sort by rank" etc.

The only way to not mess it would be to keep an "Order file" for each possible combination of these 7 switches, which means 5040 different "memorized" states. (without counting all the possible state that the User's Category allows you to create).

So, for each of these 5040 combinations of display settings, you will have to order your 40 games. (I'm already pretty sure you won't do more than 10 times before getting bored!)

Now, imagine people with 500+games.
Do you think they would like to spend their time reordering their game on each possibilities? Not even twice!

Conclusion:
The Rearranging sound very interesting feature that users would like, but it's:
- too much work and time spent for the developer
- Even much harder for the user for a feature which will not be used due to the usability complexity.

And I'm pretty sure I missed few other reason which make it harder to implement, like adding a new game, etc.

klouud

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanx Cyan. I had not seen nor heard of that answer before. I really appreciate you just answering instead of getting upset. The full explanation was rather interesting. I can see how adding the functionality I want would be possible, but I also see that it would require quite a bit of work from the developer.

However. I have always been of the opinion that dev's should be compensated for their work -- And I would be more than happy to purchase a "Pro Version" of USBLoader gx.
As with most people, I probably will not donate to a dev unless:
1. he/she demands it and threatens to discontinue the app/project/tool
2. I use the product on a daily basis

But if a watered down version was FREE and I absolutely fall in love with it, I would be more than happy to PURCHASE a "Pro Version".

And with all that being said --- I love my Wii now and thank you for your reply Cyan

klouud/tim

XC-3730C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would love to have separate categories in USB Loader GX for Wii, Game cube, VC, and WiiWare.

I suppose this isn't possible...

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have my USB Loader GX themes in SD:/apps/usbloader_gx/theme, but it doesn't see theme. Any reason why? I even go to the Custom Paths setting and point to the path, and it sees them there.

Change it anyway even though it looks right. Also, make sure your themes are in the folder properly. The ".them" file goes in the /theme/ folder and the assets go in whatever folder is listed in the theme file as its folder name under "Image-Folder:".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show. +1