Hacking USB Loader still doesnt like my Western Digital HD.

PixieStix88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright so i have a western digital 2tb powered hard drive. USB Loader GX does work but i have to freshly load it onto my SD card every time i want to use it and frankly its very annoying. Is this the only fix?

i posted a few months back in this thread talking about the same issue:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-hdd-not-working-with-usb-loader-gx.388120/#post-5479786

i deleted the GXGlobal.cfg but it still tries to boot the usb and freezes.

Is there a fix? Can i use something else? I'm still new to everything so a step by step guide is welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks.

PixieStix88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay the games are not corrupted. They work, i have a hacked wii and i plug it in that and it works like a charm. But on the Vwii on the Wii U which i would love to use full time instead of switching i have the problem above. I was hoping since its been over a month there might be a fix for it.

Last edited by PixieStix88,

PixieStix88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i have tried USB Loader and CFG Loader. They both only work once. Then after i turn the system off they don't work which is really weird. I don't understand how Wiiflow is it another one i can just put on the SD card?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yes, wiiflow is another USBLoader program.
just add it to your /apps/ folder like any other homebrew.

sd:/apps/usbloader_gx/
sd:/apps/cfgloader/
sd:/apps/wiiflow/
etc.

that's strange that CFG loader has the same HDD detection issue than USBGX.
That's a known issue (users reported it few times) in USBGX but they said it worked on Wiiflow and I thought CFGLoader too.
So it's not only a problem from GX?

PixieStix88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah CFG worked once where i could scroll through all the games and i tested one. I turned off the console and then tried booting it up and it freezes. Same way as USBGX. What is weird is i can delete both of them off the SD card. Freshly reinstall and they wont work again.

Alright so i am trying Wii Flow 4.2.1 and it comes up to a menu to install games? What? i just want to see them and play them like USBGX or CFG.

Do you have to use Wii Flow and CFG/USBGX together? im confused.

I don't know if this helps any but i just go to the HBC then click the loader i want. I don't have a vwii channel that i use for any of the loaders.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yeah CFG worked once where i could scroll through all the games and i tested one. I turned off the console and then tried booting it up and it freezes. Same way as USBGX. What is weird is i can delete both of them off the SD card. Freshly reinstall and they wont work again.

Alright so i am trying Wii Flow 4.2.1 and it comes up to a menu to install games? What? i just want to see them and play them like USBGX or CFG.

Do you have to use Wii Flow and CFG/USBGX together? im confused.
Go to the settings and change your games partition.
But since you are having this problem in multiple USB loaders it seems like it might be a cIOS issue. Are you using v10 beta52 or beta53-alt? beta52 is supposed to have higher compatibility with HDDs but does require you to use the top USB port. beta53 works with both ports.

PixieStix88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@_@ Okay, i always used the top USB port.

What program do i need to check my CIOS? I backed up my original SD setup while trying this. I don't remember which one i need. If i remember correctly under MMM> IOS Manager it says currently selected: IOS3 ,Currently loaded: IOS58 V6432, Version installed: (none)

Apologies its been a while and i'm still a newbie. I can take photos and upload them to a imgur album if this will make it easier.

Side note i used USBloaderGX where it installs it to your SD card. It worked the first time but yet again when i turn the system off after playing a game it did not work. It will bring up the loader page i will see the WD drive light blink and about 30 seconds it goes solid and the loader freezes.

I did try deleting the GXGlobal.cfg under USB Loader GX and it worked again! So let me try rebooting the system to see if works without issue.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
@_@ Okay, i always used the top USB port.

What program do i need to check my CIOS? I backed up my original SD setup while trying this. I don't remember which one i need. If i remember correctly under MMM> IOS Manager it says currently selected: IOS3 ,Currently loaded: IOS58 V6432, Version installed: (none)

Apologies its been a while and i'm still a newbie. I can take photos and upload them to a imgur album if this will make it easier.

Side note i used USBloaderGX where it installs it to your SD card. It worked the first time but yet again when i turn the system off after playing a game it did not work. It will bring up the loader page i will see the WD drive light blink and about 30 seconds it goes solid and the loader freezes.

I did try deleting the GXGlobal.cfg under USB Loader GX and it worked again! So let me try rebooting the system to see if works without issue.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/syscheck-hacksden-edition.356133/
But it might be just as easy to just run the d2x cIOS installer again and choose beta52, ios249 with base 56 and ios250 with base 57.

PixieStix88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright will run this and find out what i have.

Hopefully i wont have to do the other option. Since i will have to download that again unless you know the link that i should use.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Homebrew channel 1.1.2 running on IOS58

I dont see anything about bases to report.

gamecaptor

R.I.P. Densetsu. Legends never die!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have a VERY long thread about this. I swear up and down that there is something with USB 3.0 and vWii, though Cyan seems to think its more then that (and odds are he's right since he's a smart guy!). Regardless of what anyone thinks, have you tried to format the drive with either FAT32 or NTFS? I would be curious if you have different results.

I'll tell you that I finally gave up with USB 3.0 and went to a (WD) USB 2.0 and it works just fine, any format.

Also, for kicks, have you tried updating the firmware: http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?modelno=wdbacw0020hbk&x=0&y=0

PixieStix88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well its in the WBFS since i think that's what all the games are on and i know that works with my physical wii. I dont know if i can transfer them to a fat32 or what.

Ive tried basically everything. Rebooting the HD, not plugging it in till i get to HBC, locking the SD card, etc. Its just annoying since sometimes i can get the games to play other times its a no go.

Right now i have been using my vwii mostly for Nintendon't since we have that wonderful GameCube adapter. So i don't mind waiting for a hopeful fix. Glad to hear that im not the only one having these issues.

kribblz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
wbfs is outdatet use ntfs or fat32 you should go for fat32 if youre planing to play gamecube and wii games from the same drive and use wii backup manager to copy youre isos not wbfs manager

and post a syscheck of youre console maybe you messed youre ios up

Jeremy Pettes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I own a Western Digital my passport 1tb hdd and I can also confirm USB loader doesn't work. There are two solutions. One just sticking with wiiflow (which is better imho) or follow this ghetto work around. When usb loader is booting make sure the hdd is unplugged then plug it in while they system is loading so it'll bypass "initialize usb." I would not reccomend doing this as it may cause damage to your system in the long run.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Pffffft sending me a PM stating we're all a bunch a mean azzholes :creep:. Same here DUDE