USB Loader GX

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by cyrex, Apr 19, 2009.

Apr 19, 2009

USB Loader GX by cyrex at 5:00 PM (3,850,365 Views / 7 Likes) 18,457 Comments

• Global Moderator

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Message Count:
    France
    It's used to patch the internal dol's video information.
    when you launch a game, it checks the current Wii's video mode and then look in the dol for a matching video mode to use the same one than the console. if no video mode is found in the dol, it's using a different/nearest possible video mode.

For example, if your Wii is set to 480p, but the game is intended for 480i only, if you use "Force 480p" the game will still fallback to 480i because it doesn't have 480p in it's internal compatible video mode.
    Patching the dol replace the videos inside the dol using the one set in the loader. if you use "Force PAL 480p" then it will replace/add 480p inside the dol, when the game is launched it will find a matching video pattern and set the game in 480p.
    It's useful for games which are 480i only : Mario Marty 8, Moto GP 8, Mad World (usa only), etc.

There are different patching method and results :

• Video mode : Region Patch
    This one replace only the dol's internal and known video mode patterns to the corresponding signal based on the console's region.
    If you play a PAL game, and are using NTSC console, it will replace PAL signal to corresponding NTSC signal, keeping interlace and progressive informations : PAL60->NTSC480i, PAL480p->NTSC480p

• Dol video patch : Region patch
    This one replace only the dol's internal and known video mode patterns to the corresponding signal based on the selected video mode's region.
    if you set the "video mode" to "Force PAL60", and are using NTSC console with a NTSC game, it will replace NTSC signal to PAL signal, keeping interlace and progressive informations : NTSC480p->PAL480p, NTSC480i->PAL60

• Dol video patch : ON
    This one replace only the dol's internal and known video mode patterns to the corresponding selected Video mode setting.
    if you set the "video mode" to "Force PAL480p", it will replace ALL known video patterns to "PAL480p". (it will not preserve progressive or interlace information, but replace all of them to the same one).

• Dol video patch : All
    This one replace ALL the dol's internal video mode patterns (even unknown ones) to the corresponding selected Video mode setting.
    if you set the "video mode" to "Force PAL480p", it will replace ALL found video patterns to "PAL480p", even unknown video patterns used by obscure games/developers. (it will not preserve progressive or interlace information, but replace all of them to the same one).

"All" is useful for games which are using video mode patterns which are uncommon (like MotoGP8) and not present in libogc nor in usbloaderGX.

• Newcomer

Drunk_caterpillar New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    So when I'm playing Mad World I want to set Video Mode to "Force NTSC480p" and Dol Video Patch to "All" and that should make the game render in 480p?
    • Global Moderator

Message Count:
    France
    yes, that's the correct setting :)

It works only with Mad World USA.
    the PAL version only render to black screen if force to progressive.

jonesman99 GBAtemp's Official ArchAndroid

Message Count:
    United States
    Thank you, kind person. Also, another question. I installed the WADs and all the needed channels show up, but USB Loader GX does not read my flash drive, and I made sure that it was formatted to WBFS. What am I still doing wrong? The only channel that picks it up is I believe is NeoGamma.

Hielkenator New Member

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    Your usb stick need to be fat32 for channel emulation.
    WBFS does not work.
    • Newcomer

heathenmagic New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Hello everybody,

I have been looking all over the internet for this but not found anybody with the same need. Basically, I have two wiis, and one harddrive with my backups on (I buy all my games btw at retail). So sometimes I want to play out the way on the spare Wii, but it loads the game and the wii remotes completely go funny and keep flashing and I have to restart and resync. So can't advance to get going in the game. If I operate 'Dump Nand to Emunand' (my nand has no saves as I know this overwrites emunand save if there) then I can use my remotes and play as normal. I know it is not looking for the remotes from other Wii as I tried that.

So when I take the hard drive and put back into my main Wii in the lounge, it does the same thing on there, so only 'Dump Nand to Emunand' resolves it on there. I wonder if there is a better way, as the dump probably isn't safe to do a lot. Even if I have to use the same controls across two Wiis (not sure if that is possible lol), that is cool. Basically I have a spare as I bought one near launch, and the disc drive is going and crashes occasionally (lot of use).

Thanks in advance, I know this is a little unusual, but just wondered if anybody got the same thing going or had any appreciated advice.
    • Global Moderator

Message Count:
    France
    Instead of dumping the NAND fully each time, you can just dump the "sysconf" file which contains the Wiimote's synchronisation data. There's an option "Dump Sysconf" in the Features menu.
    It will dump only this file from NAND to EmuNAND, and you can even have saves on your Real NAND, as it will not extract and replace them anymore. (some games don't work with EmuNAND, for example Zelda Skyward Sword, so you need to save this one on Real NAND).
    • Newcomer

heathenmagic New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    :lol: Thank you so much! I wondered what that did it sounded a bit scary lol. I will do that process each time from now thanks! I also will donate to the usb loader as I just noticed on their page. My go to loader and a worthy cause. Thanks again for the reply

Hezkore New Member

Message Count:
    Sweden
    I haven't been around here much lately, and I haven't read this entire thread (obviously)...
    But I'm having some issues with emulated channels playing from USB Loader GX.
    The strange part is that it works in other loaders, like Configurable USB Loader.

Take "Onslaught" (WiiWare) for example.
    I have Onslaught installed on my FAT 32 HDD and plugged into my Wii U, and every time I start it via USB Loader GX, it just turns black and freezes forever.
    I'll have to remove the power cord to restart.
    However, if I just run Configurable USB Loader and start Onslaught, with the default settings, it plays just fine!

The same happens with a lot of games I've tried recently, for example "Final Fantasy 3" on Snes.
    It makes me wonder if any of my settings are to blame?

My Loader Settings for USB Loader GX are:
    Video Mode: Disc Default
    Dol Video Patch: OFF
    Sneek Video Patch: OFF
    VIDT Patch: OFF
    Aspect Ratio: System Default
    Game Language: Console Default
    Patch Country Strings: OFF
    Ocarina: OFF
    Loader's IOS: IOS 250
    Game's IOS: IOS 249
    Quick Boot: OFF
    Error 002 fix: YES
    Block IOS Reload: ON
    Return to: USB LOADER GX
    Nand Saves Emulation: FULL
    Nand Chan. Emulation: FULL
    Hooktype: NONE
    Wiird Debugger: OFF
    Debugger Paused Start: OFF
    Channel Launcher: Main DOL

I'm using USB Loader GX Revision 1218

Any help at all is appreciated.
    Last edited by Hezkore, Oct 16, 2013

naxil New Member

Message Count:
    Italy
    Hello...
    I have a little request for next SVN of usbloader GX

1 Ugx can show SD/usb gamecube games in the same time.. can u add SD / USB title or some advice for recognize where the games are? if i have the same games on sd and usb is impossible recognize directly what games are on sd or usb.
    2 Now application/homebrew loader show fine (without double list) the apps/homebrew and i am happy, can u add a bottom for directly change USB:\apps and SD:\apps (and sdgecko SLOTA/B if u can... but for last) and show sd and usb in the same time (if i can recognize in case i have the same homebrew on sd and usb).

I hope u understand my english and i listen my request, if u can't NEVERMIND
    Thanks for USBLOADER GX

OriginalHamster New Member

Message Count:
    Chile
    Just a heads up, when using GCN or CC controller the shoulders L and R should scroll the games Left or Right, currently you only can scroll using the d-pad.
    • Global Moderator

Message Count:
    France
    The settings seem fine to me. (I don't know what's installed in your slots 249 and 250, but I suppose it's the common things, d2x base56/57).
    OnSlaught is maybe not working on EmuNAND and require neek2o mode? (which is not implemented yet in USBGX).
    This is more strange for FF3, this one should work.
    Could you try with a clean dump? (I don't know when you created yours, or if you created it from scratch or extracted it from your console, but if you used the internal wad installer with an old revision (<1208) then the EmuNAND could be corrupted.

I played Cave Story with 1218 and it worked fine. I didn't test FF3 though.

Remember that I'm very slow pace to code, I don't know when I'll do it.

You mean when in the Game Window ? (rotating disc/channel animation)
    I'll add it.

OriginalHamster New Member

Message Count:
    Chile

Yeah, and when are selecting a game, in channel display mode.
  1. OriginalHamster
    This message by OriginalHamster has been removed from public view by Cyan, Oct 17, 2013, Reason: double post.
    Oct 17, 2013

Hezkore New Member

Message Count:
    Sweden
    Right you are, common stuff.
    slot 249: d2x-v10-beta52-vWii base 56
    slot 250: d2x-v10-beta52-vWii base 57

Both Onslaught and FF3 (and everything else I've got for that matter) have been installed very recently via USB Loader GX 1217's "Install WAD to EmuNand" Feature.
    My Configurable USB Loader and USB Loader GX use the same EmuNand.

A lot of games freeze my console with a black screen though, not just those two games.
    I haven't tested all of them via Configurable USB Loader yet, but the few I have tested have worked with Configurable USB Loader while sadly freezing in USB Loader GX.

Some N64 games also freeze at the "Please use the classic controller" (or whatever it says) screen, while some work.
    For example, Yoshi's Island N64 does not freeze at that screen, but Paper Mario N64 freezes every time, even if my the controller is plugged in BEFORE starting the game! (official Nintendo Classic Controller Pro)

Oh and while we're at it... Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth has a weird problem...
    It stays at a black screen forever, but doesn't freeze! Instead I can hit HOME and back out of the game without any problems.
    Unlike all the other black screen issues where I can't do anything and have to pull the power cord.
    But I think I read somewhere that Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth has known issues with USB Loader GX.

Some games also freeze after the game has started.
    2 Fast 4 Gnomz freeze at the game loading screen after selecting a level to play.

I really really prefer USB Loader GX over all other loaders, so I really want to get this working as well as possible. :)

Btw. a little bug I've found.
    If you uninstall games via USB Loader GX, it doesn't add anything to Free Space, you have to restart USB Loader GX for it to recalculate Free Space.
    Last edited by Hezkore, Oct 18, 2013
    • Global Moderator

Message Count:
    France
    Thanks for the precisions.
    I don't know what's wrong, nor how to debug this problem :/

For Castlevania, you need to launch it in neek environement (sneek/uneek/neek2o). I'll add it to USBLoaderGX when I have time to work on it.

Thanks for the size bug, I'll see if I can fix it too. I have to work on sizes soon (SD card free space, Gamecube game size with dual disc, etc.).

Hezkore New Member

Message Count:
    Sweden
    I haven't been able to get Castlevania working in any other loader either.

Is there any way I can help solve these issues?
    I have a few Wii consoles and a Wii U.
    A HDD with about 600 Wii and WiiWare games loaded into it.
    Maybe I could run some debug build that outputs loads of information, then run a bunch of games to see what happens and eventually post it here?
    Last edited by Hezkore, Oct 18, 2013
    • Newcomer

game_rat New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Besides using the built-in wad installer, is there a recommended way to do batch installs while staying compliant with the fat conversion characters?
    • Global Moderator

Message Count:
    France
    I'm not 100% sure as I don't have many games, but I think files with non compliant FAT character are only savegames, so installing a batch of WADs using ShowMiiWads is perfectly fine.
    The problem would be backing/restoring saves with ShowMiiNands and/or SavegameManagerGX.

Hezkore : Castlevania is not working in wiiflow+neek2o mode? (I remember playing it in sneek so it's working in *neek)
    there's no ready to display debug output in the code, I'll need to add them.
    I think the best way to debug this would be to debug d2x and not loaders. All games are launched the same way, if some games don't work it's probably something to do with the EmuNAND.
    You can enable debug output in d2x (and recompile), but you will need an USBGecko to read them. All commands are logged but it's not always useful either.

N64 requires cIOS rev17 and rev19 (base 38 or 36?)

Edit:
    There's maybe a way to semi-fix Castlevania (until neek2o support):
    - install the game on EmuNAND and RealNAND.
    - use EmuNAND Channel mode : Partial
    - List only EmuNAND Sources
    It will list only EmuNAND games (so Castlevania is displayed), but when launched it will use the data on real NAND and saves on EmuNAND.

or just install on read NAND, list real NAND and set "EmuNAND Save" to Partial.

I thought the Partial option for "EmuNAND Channel" wasn't really useful for users and intend to remove that setting completely.
    Using Partial for EmuNAND Channels is not a good name as it's actually not using the channel installed on EmuNAND and users who don't have the same game on realNAND wouldn't understand why it's not working.
    Maybe these settings would even require a name change (but a lot of users/guides/tutorial may be outdated if I change these setting's names).

Any users are using "EmuNAND Channel: Partial" setting ?
    I want to delete it to prevent configuration problems.
    I don't know where to ask/make a poll for the user base.

Edit 2:

r1219
    Done:
    * Added Nintendont svn support
    * Added Nintendont USB support (put loaderusb.dol or bootusb.dol in nintendont path)
    * Added a check for kenobi file presence when using Ocarina with DM/DML/NIN.
    * Added support for nintendont "loader.dol", "loaderusb.dol" and "bootusb.dol" filename.
    * Set priority to cIOS instead of "IOS58 + AHB access" at launch if no argument is set in meta.xml.
    * Added an option to choose if HDD should be mounted on Loader's launch
    * Fixed a crash issue when mounting HDD for the first time in HDD menu and using WBFS partitions.

not started yet / Maybe for later revisions:
    - Rename some menus/options (Loader's menu renaming and harmonization - part2)
    - remove individual GC Video settings, merge them into DML video settings
    - Remove Partial EmuNAND Channel setting (always use Full EmuNAND if launching a channel installed on EmuNAND)
    - Remove Error2 setting (always set to ANTI is good).
    Magnus87 likes this.
    • Newcomer

Shiranui-san New Member

Message Count:
    Spain
    I use "Full" since it comes like that by default and I'm not really sure about the difference between full and partial.

Cyan, shouldn't the option "Error 002 fix" be removed from the options page? It feels like a too old option...

*About Castlevania: I think all the Rebirth games by Konami have to be launched from Real Nand or under xneek (Castlevania, Contra and Gradius)
    • Newcomer

goldfish New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Hello
    Wonder if someone could help me! I'm desperate.
    I've got 3.3e soft modded wii (using the twilight hack).
    I was using USB loader gx on ios 249. I have recently downloaded just dance 2014 and keep getting a black screen. I thought my ios was outdated so i changed the settings to ios250 and force ntsc. This didn't fix the problem and now my USB loadergx is not loading- keep getting a black screen.

I want to now update usb loader and install the new ios. But I'm worried it will brick my wii as the firmware is 3.3e.

Please can someone help me :(
    • Global Moderator

Message Count:
    France
    If you don't know a lot about softmod, you can use modmii to update your softmod without problem, it will also update your Wii system menu version.

If you know what you are doing, you can only update your cIOS in slot249 and 250 using d2x cIOS installer. (you can stay at 3.3 without problem, I'm at 3.2 but I never go to system menu so I don't care).

Then you can also update USBGX by downloading the latest release from here. (replace your boot.dol on SD using the boot.dol located in the /ios249/ folder of the downloaded archive, then launch from HBC or forwarder).

shiranui :
    Yes, using ANTI should be fine and users shouldn't disable it. it's there only for historical purpose (guides telling to use it, etc.) but I can remove the setting.

SPONSORED LINKS