USB Loader GX

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by cyrex, Apr 19, 2009.

1. nerubii

nerubii Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 22, 2007
    Zimbabwe
    alright.. sorta migrated badablek's source code to r1280. also realigned a few btns and texts.
    it appears r1280 no longer has progress window.

Attached Files:

2. nerubii

nerubii Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 22, 2007
    Zimbabwe
    so anyone has experience with 4tb hdd 4k sectors and encounter issues with usb loader gx? no one?

i'm gonna share the steps i did in order to get 4k sectors on portable drives.
    1. Seagate Portable 4tb HDD; as far as i know, it comes equipped with a USB3 interface at 512bytes sectors, with no "translation", regardless of the size of the hdd.
    2. ebay dglet: he used to stock "Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex/Backup Plus Upgrade Cable USB 3.0 STAE104 BARE" that fits in the same enclosure as Seagate Portable 4tb HDD but comes equipped with a USB3 interface that translates 512 sectors of HDD into 4K sectors depending on the HDD size. so for example: HDD <= 2tb, you will get 512 sectors, >2tb and you will get 4k sectors.
      • an alternative that i know of as of now which is still according to specs, hopefully, is this. this alternative, unfortunately, will not fit in the enclosure.
      • otherwise, some expert needs to hack the firmware built in the interface to allow translation of 512 to 4k.
      • i'm gonna suspect this interface may be from the initial batches of seagate portable hdd. you can try switching the interface to a larger sized hdd, 4tb or 5tb to see if it has the sector translation i've mentioned.
    So once you have both items ready, you will have to disassemble the HDD enclosure, replace the interface, then run UStealth tool or format with available tools and see your minimum possible cluster size for FAT32. you will have your ans.:)

hope it helps anyone here :toot:

Last edited by nerubii, Sep 3, 2017
  3. cucholix

cucholix No-Intro

Jan 17, 2017
    Chile
    Can you dump a 1:1 Wii disc outputing ISO format?

4. nerubii

nerubii Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 22, 2007
    Zimbabwe
  5. cucholix

cucholix No-Intro

Jan 17, 2017
    Chile
    So ULGX can only dump in .wbfs? Not .iso?

6. nerubii

nerubii Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 22, 2007
    Zimbabwe
    if i rmb so. last i did a rip from ULGX, many years back, it was in wbfs.

but why do you need it to be ripped in iso?

7. cucholix

cucholix No-Intro

Jan 17, 2017
    Chile
    To inject into Wii VC on Wii U

8. nerubii

nerubii Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 22, 2007
    Zimbabwe
    oh wow! is there a thread on this?

have you tried using wii backup manager to convert wbfs to iso back?

9. cucholix

cucholix No-Intro

Jan 17, 2017
    Chile
  10. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Use CleanRip for that.

11. nerubii

nerubii Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 22, 2007
    Zimbabwe
    ahh i see.. i don't think i'll be doing this though.

but this looks promising for bomberman blast and mario party. fw.img from wii u smash bros to enable gamecube adapter on wii u vc? do u think possible?

from the looks of it, i don't think we need a cleanripped version of the wii game. we only need the data partition.

just tested on a wbfs converted to iso.. seems intact.

12. Magnus87

Magnus87 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 28, 2013
    Argentina
    Maybe on distance future we'll have a simple launcher for 3 consoles, NGC/Wii/WiiU

13. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    hmmm, launching a Wii ISO could be done from WiiU side, but not using any existing Wii USBLoader's option and features.
    it could be done like Emuliine (never released, POC only), which redirects an internal /content/rom.zip file to a ROM located on SD when launching a VC title from Loadiine (it could be adapted to launch the VC Wii on internal or external WiiU HDD, and redirect only the game.iso file).

Now that some people are active in the VC Wii, if we can launch a Wii ISO from WiiU we could make a "emuliine like" homebrew to launch Wii ISO from a VC Wii host.
    no idea about gamecube ISO, I haven't thought about it.

but, like I said, it would launch the official game, no special features.
    and only games <4GB as it requires to be on FAT32 (Sd or Mocha FAT32 USB) or installed on internal/wiiU HDD.
    it could be an option ! (imagine putting all your Wii ISO (not wbfs) to wiiU HDD using existing HDD editing tools, and the launcher would just remap the path to the correct ISO filename.

Last edited by Cyan, Sep 4, 2017
    julialy, nerubii and cucholix like this.
  14. cucholix

cucholix No-Intro

Jan 17, 2017
    Chile
    @Cyan feel free to add my Wii U channel forwarder to ULGX to OP, if you think it's apropiated. Thead link is in my sig.

15. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    good idea, thanks.

16. thebrawler56

thebrawler56 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 6, 2017
    United States
    I'm curious if anyone has fixed the hiccup the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games have with USB loaders yet. Does USB Loader GX play without issue and no extra modification, or will I have to do an extra few steps? Sorry if this question doesn't belong here.

17. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    the loader is not responsible how the game is working.
    if you have hiccup (lags? freezes? sound stuttering?), that's caused by the cIOS version and base you are using, or maybe (rarely) the device you are using (access speed issue, HDD sleeping issues, etc)
    USBLoaderGX (and any other game launcher) is not in memory anymore once the game is running.

What the loader is responsible, on the other side, is setting different options such as video mode which could affect game compatibility (aspect ratio, language, cheats, etc.), so in a sense you are right that the loader could be responsible but it's more the user's settings than the loader itself.

Wiiflow might have a better game patcher than USBLoaderGX, for example aspect ratio doesn't work with WiiWare on USBGX, or cheat on emuNAND, but works fine on wiiflow. so, this loader still has some issues which could be fixed. I don't think Guitar hero is affected by that issue.

Last edited by Cyan, Sep 6, 2017
  18. elconejotres

elconejotres Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 31, 2011
    Bahrain
    @Cyan I have a question regarding DLC on wad, I'm almost going nuts trying to make work the DQM Battle Road Victory DLC on vWii, even with UsbloaderGX emunand full support installed trough the features option can't seem to work at all, the weird thing is that on real Wii it works fine I'm missing something? please any help will be apreciated it's driving me crazy!!!!

19. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I don't think there's anything special needed, the wad only extract its content to the correct folder on the NAND (or emuNAND).
    then when played, the channel looks for the files at the expected location (title/00010001/<titleID>/data/ for channels, 00010005/<titleID>/ for DLC)

maybe you can try another loader, or using neek mode from USBLoaderGX.

Last edited by Cyan, Sep 11, 2017
  20. elconejotres

elconejotres Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 31, 2011
    Bahrain
    Thanks for the info i was looking at it and found that on vWii nand the 00010005/<titleID>/ "content" and "data" were corrupted using wiixplorer, none of the wad managers seem to install properly the file even usbloadergx can't install it properly on emunand I set the whole thing on real wii and got the DLC working on emunand but I still need to install it on real vWii nand to use the DLC with the new injection way but the vWii nand is write protected at least using wiixplorer could you recommend me a good way to copy/paste directly the folder of the extracted wad content into the vWii nand? to avoid the use of wad managers.