USB Loader GX

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by cyrex, Apr 19, 2009.

1. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Save emulation "partial" puts save files on SD/USB but uses the console settings from your NAND. "Full" tries to read settings from SD/USB in addition to the save data so you need to dump "SYSCONF" and Miis to your EmuNAND if you set it to Full.

Channel EmuNAND requires the ticket and title metadata be on the NAND if set to Partial so it's best not to use it.

All the Just Dance games should work with d2x v8 or v10 based on IOS57. (maybe not beta53)

Last edited by GreyWolf, Jan 9, 2017

2. cartman411

cartman411 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 7, 2017
    United States
    Sorry for all the questions but i'm new to this and trying to learn. I have placed my syscheck file below. Do I need to load d2x V10 into IOS57 (rev 5919) using d2x-cIOS-Installer through a wad manager? Then I would use 57 for loading the just dance game. Or will one of the IOS's below like IOS250 work to load just dance 2014?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

edit: I just changed just dance 2014 to IOS250 and set emulation saves to FULL and the game work like normal. Thanks for the information. I did dump the "SYSCONF" and Miis to my emunand but I still have the wiiware game issue. It is strange that the remote turn off or it looses sync when I get the black screen trying to load the wiiware games.

Last edited by cartman411, Jan 10, 2017
  3. MasterZoen

MasterZoen Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 16, 2016
    United States
    Which WiiWare title are you trying to run? I'll check to see if I have it as well. I've heard that using an outdated ShowMiiWad compiled game can have issues. You might want to backup and restore it again.

4. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Nintendont is already compatible with UStealth'd drives for more than a year.

5. cartman411

cartman411 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 7, 2017
    United States
    I put my original post on the spoiler. It has the games I am able to load and the ones I can not.

When you say backup and restore are you referring to the game? And is that done in showmiiwad? Thanks.

6. MasterZoen

Newcomer
    Nov 16, 2016
    United States
    Yes, but not with multiple drives, i.e.: a Wii U drive and a Ustealth drive for vWii.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

From a guide I used to soft mod my old Wii console:

Install emuNAND to play Wiiware/VC games

A. Important! Make sure SD-card has more then 600mb free space
    B. Plug SD-card into Computer . Make a folder in SD-card called 'GxEmunand' like SD:\GxEmunand\ .
    C. Remove SD-card from Computer and plug into Wii . Turn on your Wii. Launch USB Loader GX.

(Check emuNAND paths and create EmuNAND on SD-card)
    A. In USB Loader GX goto Settings - Custom Paths
    B. Change 'Nand Emu Path' and 'Nand Emu Channel Path' to SD:\GxEmunand\ (just press A and (..) folder-icon to go back and choose that one.)
    C. Make Sure 'Loader Settings' - Boot/Standard is 249 or change to 249. Then in Loader Settings set 'Nand Chan Emulation' to 'Full'.
    D. Go USB Loader GX - Settings - Features and press 'Dump NAND to EmuNand' . Wait a serious long time until complete.. (grab a sandwhich) . Once dump NAND is complete - Shutdown Wii

(use emuNAND on Computer)
    A. Plug SD-card into Computer
    B. Download and install ShowMiiWads on your PC from http://code.google.com/p/showmiiwads/downloads/list
    C. Unrar into C:\wii\showmii\ and open ShowMiiWads.exe
    D. Press 'Options' - 'Change NAND Backup Path' to SD:\GxEmunand\
    E. Press 'View' - 'ShowMiiNand'
    F. Press 'Tools' - 'Create Common Key'

How to Backup, Install and Play Wiiware games and also use emuNAND on USB. Press Spoilers inside.
    To Backup your Wiiware/VC games
    In ShowMiiWads - select the file called 'Channel Title' - games name' , then right-click , pack wad, and choose a suitable location , like C:\wii\showmii\backed-games\ , press OK.

To Install a backed-up Wiiware/VC game
    Right-click in ShowMiiWads - 'Install' - 'File' - select game-wad file.

To Play a backed-up Wiiware/VC game
    A. Remove SD-card from Computer and plug into Wii . Turn on your Wii. Launch USB Loader GX.
    B. Press this icon (Loader Mode) !! ( http://i.imgur.com/ioqV74i.png )
    C. Select only EmuNAND Channels

(If you have invisible channels using USB Loader GX - Loader Mode - EmuNand Channels. You can remove them by following step. Press A on them to go into animation mode. Press Settings (NOT START). Uninstall Menu. Uninstall Game. GAME ONLY. - Do this for all invisible channels and you will have only your games showing.)

To use emuNAND on USB-drive (FAT32)
    A. Plug SD-card and USB-drive into Computer
    B. Move SD:\GxEmunand\ folder to USB:\GxEmunand\
    C. Open ShowMiiWads.exe and Options - 'Change NAND Backup path' to USB:\GxEmunand\ .
    D. Remove SD-card from Computer and plug USB and SD-card into Wii . Turn on your Wii. Launch USB Loader GX
    E. In USB Loader GX go Settings - Custom Paths
    F. Change 'Nand Emu Path' and 'Nand Emu Channel Path' to USB:\GxEmunand\ (just press A and (..) folder-icon to go back and choose that one.)
    G. Press Back and return to USB Loader GX
    H. Done! :)

Error using Wiiware through EmuNAND?
    PS: Just so you know - I tried it myself. If you WiiWare wasn't working through emuNAND. Look in USBLoader GX - Settings - Credits, if your using the 'cIOS249-d2x-v10-beta52' it will not work! Go ahead and install IOS249[56]-d2x9b47.wad using Step 5 in this guide. Then Wiiware works. :)

Fix Blackscreen with VC in emuNAND
    Happens when playing USA games with a European Wii. Open selected VC game - 'Settings' - 'Loader Settings'in 'Video Patch 'select Force NTFC. Press Save. Now it should work. :)

Use cheats (Ocarnia) in Wiiware/VC games
    Unfortunely I can't get Ocarnia working with Wiiware/VC games in USB Loader GX. So an alternate solution is to use the App '....tbc

The benefit of emuNAND
    WAD installation happens on Computer therefore there is NONE TO LESS risk of Brick your Wii. If you wish to play Wiiware/VC games emuNAND is your solution. period.

eaferrari24 likes this.
  7. noveli

noveli Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 3, 2013
    United States
    Just an update, tried NTFS and same result. I'll see if I can find an old HDD at work so I can forgo the expense. Thanks again for the tips all!

8. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Ahh, I see. sorry I didn't understand.

But someone (@balteck) reported a new setup that nobody thought or tried before !
    a 3 HDD setup !
    and it works better than 2 HDD setup, you don't need d2x r53 :P

Port0 : vWii, ustealth'd, contains WII games.
    Port1 HUB 2 : vWii, uStealth'd, contains Gamecube games.
    Port1 HUB 1 : WiiU HDD

using IOS58, both nintendont and USBLoaderGX will be compatible with HUB and will list the vWii drive on the hub in priority, and the Wii HDD in second. You might have to swap the "hub order" to be sure nintendont mounts the vWii HDD first. Loaded in reversed order vWii Gamecube > WiiU > vWii Wii games
    when booting Wii games, it reloads to cIOS, and the port0 is used (hub are not compatible with cIOS) and wii games are working fine.
    When in WiiU, it sees the WiiU HDD and don't bother with the 2 other drives as they are stealth'd.

Not everyone has 3 HDD (let alone, 2 or even 1 !! some users are too cheap to even buy 1 HDD and want everything on SD), but you know know a 3HDD setup is possible.

a 2HDD setup is possible but has more issues:
    Port0 : WiiU HDD
    Port1 : vWii HDD with Wii and Gamecube
    nintendont using IOS58 will list Port1 in priority but you need d2x r53 for Wii games to work with Port1.
    using r53 is problematic for EmuNAND and some game compatibility and the Gamecube controller adapter.
    the 3 HDD setup doesn't have that issue as it's using r52 on port0 for wii and emuNAND.
    But the Gamecube controller adapter seems to be an issue for d2x r53, so you have to unplug it before launching a Wii game.

9. cartman411

cartman411 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 7, 2017
    United States
    Thanks for the guide. It looks like I have done everything in the guide with the exception of the folder path. Mine is on the root of the HD. I'll try to change that tonight to see if that helps. Also I'll try to repackage the wad in shomiiwads.

I thought d2x v10beta52 worked with emunand. Did you have to load IOS249[56]-d2x9b47.wad to get yours to work?

Last edited by cartman411, Jan 10, 2017
  10. MasterZoen

Newcomer
    Nov 16, 2016
    United States
    I followed this for modding my Wii U vWii. I installed d2x v10 beta52 in the three IOS slots of 249-251 and installed the modified IOS 238. I can confirm that Adventure Island, Excitebike, and FAST WiiWare are working for me via d2x v10 beta 52 emunand. I don't have the others you were talking about. What I did differently, is I later reformatted the FAT32 with GUIFormat.exe, and just the other day I reinstalled all of the d2x v10 beta52 cIOS with the modified FAT.APP file that Cyan directed me to.

I'd try installing the WiiWare to the actual vWii nand and see if it runs from the vWii menu. If it does, then you know that your files are okay, and it's the USB Loader GX emunand that's causing problems.

Last edited by MasterZoen, Jan 10, 2017
  11. MasterZoen

Newcomer
    Nov 16, 2016
    United States
    That seems rather unnecessary to me.

My GameCube ISO backups fit alongside a nearly 15 GB emunand on a 100 GB FAT32 partition with room to spare... A lot of room to spare. Like 40 GB left over. My Wii ISO backups take up around 360 GB or so on the 800 GB NTFS partition. It seems to me that it should be easier to just code Nintendont to ignore the Wii U HDD. However, I have no knowledge of coding since 1996, so maybe I'm all wet.

Also, I currently have my vWii drive plugged into the rear USB ports, and my Wii U HDD plugged into the front USB ports. I've thought about using a Dual USB AC adapter to power the drives' Y cable while plugging both drives into the rear USB ports since only vWii d2x v10 beta52 cares which port the GameCube/Wii/emunand is plugged into, but until Nintendont doesn't have issues with 2 drives plugged in it's easier to keep my Wii U HDD plugged into the front so I can switch it with my Mayflash GC Controller Adapter.

Last edited by MasterZoen, Jan 10, 2017
  12. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    d2x v9 does not work with vWii. don't try to install it.

when developing v9 Davebaol noticed that there were issues with emuNAND compatibility that weren't there with v8, so he reverted all v9 changes and made 2 branches which he released as v10 : one with just the hdd fixes present in v9 (v10 r52) and one with all the changes from v9 (v10 alternative r53).

it's strange that the guide you followed said to use v9 specifically if v8 didn't work, because v9 had issues with emuNAND that v8 didn't have.
    that's also why users are installing r52 instead of r53
    v9 being beta, it was often installed to debug the emuNAND and see what the IOS did in real time. if you don't have a USBGecko you just don't know it's doing debugging in the background. Maybe some of these debug is affecting compatibility? or he fixed something which he reverted in v10?

EmuNAND works, but Wiiware have compatibility issues which depend on the base IOS you use. there is a wiki page where you can see some of these games.
    some wiiware or VC only work with Neek. that's not really a USBLoaderGX issue, it's not the loader which is causing it, more a cIOS issue which is not redirecting NAND access correctly. using Neek is the only way to play some of these games.

13. retro-y

retro-y Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 7, 2017
    United States
    hey everybody,

long time reader, first time poster.

so, i have soft-modded wii on 4.3u. latest usb loader gx. latest nintendont.
    a friend set this up for me years ago, when i restarted all this i was on 4.1u, nintendont and the ability to play backed up gamecube games were not a thing, then, i think.

anyway, i've got my drive attached. i can successfully play gamecube games via
    homebrew channel > nintendont, and
    usb loader gx > nintendont

my issues are inside usb loader gx.

1st - no art work "downloads". i've set it to grab all 5 types on my games. so, on my ten games, when i go to download i get:
    "found missing images.
    50 missing files."

[yes]

[watches progress bar and some urls for .png's]

"download finished.
    "50 files not found on server!"

help?

2nd -the region code appearing over the 3d art in the main view says "pal." my games aren't pal, they're usa. i find this bizarre. it's not affecting game play. but i'd like to… show properly?

3rd - when i try to update wiitdb.zip, it downloads, but then, i can just download it again. shouldn't it says all ready up to date? is it behaving like my first problem with different (or less) langauge?

can anyone help me out?

14. MasterZoen

Newcomer
    Nov 16, 2016
    United States
    If you're referring to the stuff in post 23526, then it seems strange because that was the guide I followed for modding my Wii, not the Wii U vWii mode. Please scroll up and note that the post started with, "From a guide I used to soft mod my old Wii console." I posted it because it covered making backups with ShowMeWads, which cartman411 had made mention of in an earlier post. I also linked to the guide I used to mod my Wii U vWii mode in the post after his question about d2x9b47.

15. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 4, 2015
    Gambia, The
    It's a bit odd what happened. John_Ice you might want to hear that too as you gave us the tip:
    My drive (5 TB on one big partition) was FAT32, MBR, primary and active already when I read that full formatting seems to be better.
    So I used Gui Format (a gui version of FAT32Formatter), unchecked "Quick Format" and hit start.
    It showed me that it would take at least 6 hours. This information changed from time to time between 2, 7 and 6 hours. And as if that isn't strange enough already the information on how much of the job is already done changed as well from 0 % to 1 % back to 0 %, again to 1 % and so on.
    So I had no choice but to let my PC run over night. The next morning it was done and I started copying over all my games again. After 560 MB it told me the space is full. I thought "what the f*ck?!" and looked at the drives properties. It only had a capacity of 560 MB. I went to the control panel and computer management. There's a drive overview and it showed me the complete 5 TB drive with 4,5 TB being still free. Tried EaseUS Partition Master and it showed me the same. But the Windows Explorer itself only showed me 560 MB.
    So I gave it another try and went back after two hours and it still was at 0 % with up to 7 hours to wait until it's done. I was like "f*ck it" and did a quick format.
    However I plugged that drive to the console, dumped the NAND to emuNAND again, placed the vWii's sneek folder in the drive's root and installed TV Show King 2 via USB Loader GX settings' WAD manager -> a game which definitely only runs in neek without problems and after a few play sessions I gotta say: It works! :)

So what I recommend is do everything as I did:
    • remove USB Loader GX settings from SD (or if you have it on USB) to make sure everything's at default
    • do at least one full format with GUI Format: https://forum.xda-developers.com/tm...iformat-fat32-simple-windows-sd-card-t2960190
      and wait no matter how long it takes
    • check your drive capacity through Windows Explorer afterwards and do a quick format with the same tool if it's too small
    • plug your drive to the console and dump your NAND to emuNAND through USB Loader GX
      that makes sure that your emuNAND is the first thing to be written on your nicely formatted drive
    • connect it back to the PC and put the sneek folder (you have it, right?) in your drive's root so you have:
      USB:\nand
      USB:\sneek
    • install your WiiWare WADs through USB Loader GX
    • change global USBLGX emuNAND settings to partial (that's what I did, you can try full if you want)
    • change global loader IOS to 58 (that's what I did, you can try staying on 249 first)
    • change game specific load mode to "neek" for each WiiWare game you want
    That should be it! Good luck!

John_Ice likes this.
  16. MasterZoen

Newcomer
    Nov 16, 2016
    United States
    Yeah, I've been getting the message that roughly 90 percent of the titles are missing files and that those files are missing from the server. The files are always missing and it sucks, but what do you expect for something that old? In any case, out of @500 games, the only titles on my system that don't have pics are HBC Dark, USB Loader GX, and Star Parodier. I have no idea at all what files it's not finding, since some of the TitleID's that it shows it's downloading have covers.

As to updating wiitdb.zip, yes it should say that wiitdb.xml is up to date after you've told it to update and it downloads and then extracts the wiitdb.xml. For a few days in any case.

17. Michierusama

Michierusama GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 13, 2014
    GBAtemp
    I checked OP and latest version I could find is 1263. Is that correct? :)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

18. cartman411

cartman411 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 7, 2017
    United States
    I tried to pack a WAD from my emunand using shomiiwads. I tried excitebike world tour. It gave me an error saying missing "/nan/shared1/0000006d.app". I built a WAD that works for me (Adventure Island) and it packed fine. I don't know if the missing file is associated with the WAD or if this is something that is created from the nand. I unpacked the WAD and it did have a file "0000006.app" it was missing the "d". It seems like I am going around in circle and nothing gets me closer to solving my wiiware game issue. I think I'm going to try to format a new HD as suggest above. Nice going Lordelan, hopefully it will work for me. I think am going to punt on trying to fix this issue if that doesn't work.

Is there any spicific cIOS's that are needed to build an emunand or play wiiware games? I'm wondering if I have an incorrect cIOS loaded n one of the slots.

19. John_Ice

John_Ice GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    Here we go! Mama mia!
    Atleast, all is working for you now, that's what counts in the final ! :-)

Bu the difference between you and me is you have Wii U and me the Standard Wii.

lordelan likes this.
  20. MasterZoen

Newcomer
    Nov 16, 2016
    United States
    Sounds like the title is bad. In that case, you could download it from THAT SITE and then install it with USB Loader GX's emunand wad manager. That's how my buddy did it, and I know that his titles are all working.